Wiggle Order Over US $1k Question ..

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nismosr

by nismosr

Any one in the US ordered over $1k from Wiggle and was charge tax and duties ?

Thinking of ordering a wheelset through them.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup, was charged 10% duty on a set of Boras, bill arrived quite a while after the wheels arrived. Nothing to do with Wiggle however... all about what happens when it comes through US Customs.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I have some experience and there have been some long threads on this issue.

I suggest you contact them and get a firm answer as to what method of shipping they would use.

If it's Parcelforce, then they hand off to USPS. US duty may be charged if applicable.

If it's DHL or some other courier, then you will be charged their brokerage fees, and US duty is more certain.

If it makes you feel any better, all buyers in the UK or Europe are paying 20% sales tax.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Mep

by Mep

bikerjulio wrote:I have some experience and there have been some long threads on this issue.

I suggest you contact them and get a firm answer as to what method of shipping they would use.

If it's Parcelforce, then they hand off to USPS. US duty may be charged if applicable.

If it's DHL or some other courier, then you will be charged their brokerage fees, and US duty is more certain.

If it makes you feel any better, all buyers in the UK or Europe are paying 20% sales tax.

Do the same rules apply to Starbike or any other EU sites for that matter?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

In Europe and the UK, prices for residents of the EU are usually quoted including sales tax. Most of the bigger online retailers will have a button for "destination" or may assume you are outside the EU if you select $$. Items shipped outside the EU are exempt from their sales tax. (Called VAT). Small retailers may not be set up to sell things free of tax. If there's any doubt, then ask.

VAT rates are determined by country. UK is 20% but others can be lower of higher.

I just checked the Starbike site and they are auto-detecting my country, so I'd assume their prices reflect that.

For shipping they say this in the FAQ
Which parcel service are you using?
For most non-EU countries we use Deutsche Post, their partner in the destination country is usually the (formerly) state-owned parcel service.

At the top of the home page is this
Unproblematic customs clearance
Usually when I see this I assume that they have done a deal with the destination country (Canada in my case), and that local taxes and duties are included in their shipping cost. Not 100% sure but I don't know what else it could mean.

It should show at checkout.

One.

norcimmus

by norcimmus

I just ordered a Fulcrum carbon wheelset to be delivered to the US, will report back with taxes.

nismosr

by nismosr

norcimmus wrote:I just ordered a Fulcrum carbon wheelset to be delivered to the US, will report back with taxes.

which online retailer ?

norcimmus

by norcimmus

nismosr wrote:
norcimmus wrote:I just ordered a Fulcrum carbon wheelset to be delivered to the US, will report back with taxes.

which online retailer ?

Purchased from Wiggle, aren't they the retailer in question with this thread?

jeffy

by jeffy

bikerjulio wrote:I have some experience and there have been some long threads on this issue.

20% sales tax??? Damn!! How do they afford their sky high Health Insurance never mind the huge deductables????!!

nismosr

by nismosr

norcimmus wrote:
nismosr wrote:

which online retailer ?

Purchased from Wiggle, aren't they the retailer in question with this thread?

great, probably applies to all UK/EU online retailer ..

norcimmus

by norcimmus

Received my wheels from Wiggle U.K. yesterday, it was handed off to USPS for delivery.

I'll report back if a bill arrives for tax/duties owed.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

jeffy wrote:

20% sales tax??? Damn!! How do they afford their sky high Health Insurance never mind the huge deductables????!!

I'm in the UK and am paying 8% of my gross income in National Insurance, this covers the National Health Service, unemployment benefits, sickness and disability payments, and the state pension. Under the National Health Service I would be covered for virtually any medical procedure up to and including a heart transplant.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I'm in the UK and am paying 8% of my gross income in National Insurance, this covers the National Health Service, unemployment benefits, sickness and disability payments, and the state pension. Under the National Health Service I would be covered for virtually any medical procedure up to and including a heart transplant.

I suspect @jeffy was joking in his post. I didn't respond because this topic could rapidly derail the thread if our American friends get a hold of it.

One.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Contact them and see if they can sell and ship the front and rear wheels separately? This would probably bring you under the current USD 800 duty free amount.

nismosr

by nismosr

norcimmus wrote:Received my wheels from Wiggle U.K. yesterday, it was handed off to USPS for delivery.

I'll report back if a bill arrives for tax/duties owed.

I'm guessing you will only be taxed after the $800 cut off ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com