The Devil bikes in Rapha

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Rondje

by Rondje

Shrike wrote:So now for the important bit. Netherlands is known for having a strong cycling culture - have you any brands as successful worldwide as the new typically cycling antagonistic UK startup Rapha? Oh.. but but we have some umm bike frames umm.. :P

There is no such thing as "commuting gear" thats marketing BS made up by Rapha, it's just plain normal day to day clothing.
And just for the fun of it, what if I tell you that Cervelo, Focus and even the oh so great British brand Raleigh are owned by a Dutch company?
Other then that I can't take your post serious. Good luck leaving the Euro without ruining your oh so great country's economy.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Wookski wrote:Simon's activities around building a fashion/ lifestyle brand often appear too deliberate, fueling the whole inauthentic/ try-hard argument. Probably stems from his time at Interbrand. That being said I agree 100% with his statement- cyclists often look terrible and commuters are some of the worst offenders. All Waffa does is provide options for those who may want something better. What's wrong with wanting to be better? :wink:

You don't own any thing else :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookski

by Wookski

Rondje wrote:
Shrike wrote:So now for the important bit. Netherlands is known for having a strong cycling culture - have you any brands as successful worldwide as the new typically cycling antagonistic UK startup Rapha? Oh.. but but we have some umm bike frames umm.. :P

There is no such thing as "commuting gear" thats marketing BS made up by Rapha, it's just plain normal day to day clothing.
And just for the fun of it, what if I tell you that Cervelo, Focus and even the oh so great British brand Raleigh are owned by a Dutch company?
Other then that I can't take your post serious. Good luck leaving the Euro without ruining your oh so great country's economy.

The Eurozone comment reflects an embarrassing lack of intelligence. Maybe keep the economic commentary to the experts?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Rapha has done a fantastic job of promoting themselves. They helped turn Assos from a halo-brand that everyone thought was the absolute pinnacle of technical performance and styling to an almost irrelevant brand worn by old guys, fat guys, and Fondo hardmen. I work one block away from their San Francisco Cycle Club. That place is absolutely bumping. 9 out of 10 fastish club riders and expendable income types that ride in San Francisco Bay area wear Rapha. I mean everything. Bibs, base layer, jersey, vest, socks, and re-branded shoes. It has become almost a joke in and of itself. A caricature of what a roadie is in San Francisco and Marin. Too bad the stuff kind of sucks. Imported boring fabrics with a run of the mill Cytech Chamois and en vogue minimal branding. On the topic in general.............It is important to me to own finely made Italian kit actually made in italy, with some real effort and research put into fabrics, chamois, and hopefully loud italian style. Feeling like I look properly put together, makes me feel good about myself, and in turn makes me ride better.

BTW.......Rapha really is pretty good stuff. Head and shoulders above joke brands like Castelli. I just like to give them a hard time cause they are so utterly ubiquitous around these parts.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

TonyM

by TonyM

Great marketing! They really managed to built an image and to sell successfully their products.

I personally don't like their products but I am more the European racer type. For me the best quality is still Assos and the best design Castelli Rosso Corsa.

Wookski

by Wookski

wheelbuilder wrote:Rapha has done a fantastic job of promoting themselves. They helped turn Assos from a halo-brand that everyone thought was the absolute pinnacle of technical performance and styling to an almost irrelevant brand worn by old guys, fat guys, and Fondo hardmen. I work one block away from their San Francisco Cycle Club. That place is absolutely bumping. 9 out of 10 fastish club riders and expendable income types that ride in San Francisco Bay area wear Rapha. I mean everything. Bibs, base layer, jersey, vest, socks, and re-branded shoes. It has become almost a joke in and of itself. A caricature of what a roadie is in San Francisco and Marin. Too bad the stuff kind of sucks. Imported boring fabrics with a run of the mill Cytech Chamois and en vogue minimal branding. On the topic in general.............It is important to me to own finely made Italian kit actually made in italy, with some real effort and research put into fabrics, chamois, and hopefully loud italian style. Feeling like I look properly put together, makes me feel good about myself, and in turn makes me ride better.

BTW.......Rapha really is pretty good stuff. Head and shoulders above joke brands like Castelli. I just like to give them a hard time cause they are so utterly ubiquitous around these parts.

Hahaha Yes! I'm still searching for a "system" on par with Waffa. Assos comes close, sponsoring Paolini was an awesome move but the saggy bib old dude connotations are still too strong. What finely made Italian kit do you wear?

sawyer

by sawyer

LOL - this is one of the most controversial subjects every time it comes up on WWs

I have no time for Rapha's phoney image but doff my non Rapha non sportwool hat to their marketing and support for cycling generally
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sawyer

by sawyer

-
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

DOUG

by DOUG

Ummm is it ok if I like their gear and think its generally of a very high quality? Their pro team bibs are my go-to for long rides, super comfortable, durable and they look great as well. Their jerseys are of similar quality and performance. I really like my Castelli gear as well but i find the Rapha stuff just that much better.

Sure they're $$$ but if that's what you want to spend you money on then who's to say you shouldn't? I find the criticism in this thread rather strange, especially in the context of the rest of the forum.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Sorry card carrying RCC member here...

pro team bibs, pro team jerseys, and base layers are top quality. I have other makes, but just prefer to wear Rapha because it just works.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

wheelbuilder wrote:Rapha has done a fantastic job of promoting themselves. They helped turn Assos from a halo-brand that everyone thought was the absolute pinnacle of technical performance and styling to an almost irrelevant brand worn by old guys, fat guys, and Fondo hardmen. I work one block away from their San Francisco Cycle Club. That place is absolutely bumping. 9 out of 10 fastish club riders and expendable income types that ride in San Francisco Bay area wear Rapha. I mean everything. Bibs, base layer, jersey, vest, socks, and re-branded shoes. It has become almost a joke in and of itself. A caricature of what a roadie is in San Francisco and Marin. Too bad the stuff kind of sucks. Imported boring fabrics with a run of the mill Cytech Chamois and en vogue minimal branding. On the topic in general.............It is important to me to own finely made Italian kit actually made in italy, with some real effort and research put into fabrics, chamois, and hopefully loud italian style. Feeling like I look properly put together, makes me feel good about myself, and in turn makes me ride better.

Have you tried that LeCol stuff? UK brand, italian made. Have had some good reports about it but its still very much a relatively unknown brand.

liam7020

by liam7020

Castelli? Is that the same joke brand which produced the Gabba jacket which half the pro peleton wore with the manufacturers logo blacked out because it was so superior to their sponsored clothing? The same jacket that Wiggins bought for the whole Sky team at the time when Rapha were their actual official clothing sponsor?
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

liam7020 wrote:

Castelli? Is that the same joke brand which produced the Gabba jacket which half the pro peleton wore with the manufacturers logo blacked out because it was so superior to their sponsored clothing? The same jacket that Wiggins bought for the whole Sky team at the time when Rapha were their actual official clothing sponsor?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

chefczyk

by chefczyk

loser - when i go for a ride, i try to mismatch as much as possible. Who cares, its about the sights i'm seeing out of my eyes, not the eyes on my ass.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ak47

by ak47

JackRussellRacing wrote:Considering the obscene investment I've made in frames, electric groupsets, power meters, and everything else, I sure as heck am not going to worry about price when it comes to my comfort on the bike.

It's not an investment, but a consumption. Unless it will help you to become a professional cyclist and make a living out of it.