Girona holiday plans

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

colster

by colster

Just making my holiday plans for this summer, and am considering Girona as the destination.
Would like to know if any of you out there had any particular recommendations on the best climbs to seek out, hidden gems, or just basically some really good rides.

For accomodation I'm thinking of using Airbnb as I'm travelling alone and trying to do it on a budget, but if anyone knows of any cheap cyclist-friendly accomodation then would love to know. Any other experience about the place, like good bike shops etc would be welcome!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Been to Girona twice. Thoroughly enjoyed it. The variety of terrain is simply unparalleled. There's really no bad routes. But whether you prefer riding up the coast, climbing RoccaCorba will be a function of personal taste , rider skill and preference for climbs vs beauty etc. As a basic route, I'd suggest doing the Hincappie loop on your second day which hits Els Angels and Santa Pellaia. I also like doing Els Angels in reverse which is slightly less popular but I enjoyed it more. The climb is a bit harder but you descend on better roads. Going up the coast is a signature ride. Its done for the pure beauty of the coast. But really you can't go wrong with whatever route you did.

I hired a company Campo Bicicleta which took a lot of the guess work out of the week. I thought it was money well spent. Even though I booked through a camp and stayed at a hotel the trip cost me less than my trips in Mallorca or with American based tour operators in other cities.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

MRM wrote:Check this out.

Funny, While I enjoyed the climb my experience was a bit different. The climb is hard work to say the least. I felt victorious simply riding it up without stopping and being able to do it faster than the year earlier. Before you attempt the climb look at the route on Strava and see if its for you. It's not the steepest climb but enough of it is in the double digit range that you have to feel up for it that day and be a decent climber to begin with. If that's you go for it!

What I didn't like about the ride to Rocca was going through Olot which is no way near as nice as Banyoles.

Another climb which may be harder but is not as steep , just longer that I was scheduled to ride but wound up missing is Mare de Déu del Mont which I hear goes through some interesting terrrain
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Mep

by Mep

Ride to Besalu, Mare, and Els Angels. That's actually exactly what I'm gonna be doing next week.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Easy. The roads are all good. You won't have a shortage of beautiful routes to try no matter your ability. Must dos are
Bike hire - ifbrequired from Girona cycle centre - Dave and saskia are excellent - they do shop rides
Coffee at La Fabrica / Espresso Mafia owned and run by the Meiers of Christian Meier - Orica Scott fame ( you'll also mix with other pros who regularly hang out there ) if that's your thing. I'm a coffee snob and it's the best I have drunk anywhere.
Ice cream from Rocambolesc - owned by The pastry chef of El cellar can den roca ( maybe mistyped soz) simply the best ice cream I've eaten in some crazy ass flavours.
Bread and pastries from the shop opposite the Rocambolesc , I forget it's name
Food very good in most places. Friendly people , stunning roads.
Banyoles, the volcano region, rocacorba and the coast are all must sees. You will have an amazing time I guarantee