Time to weenie the repair kit.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dmp

by dmp

A Park MT-1 multitool weighs 43g and has all the essential hex sizes plus flat and phillips screwdrivers (no torx, however). That, plus plastic tire levers, a Park patch kit (3g), spare tube (Conti supersonic=50g), and a carbon mini pump is what I usually carry. I recently got the very elegant Silca mini torque wrench. The case is beautiful, but a bit overweight (70g), however the tool and essential bits come to just 120g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Nefarious86 wrote:Cut the 90° bit off ;)

I've thought about it it but I'm worried that the final result might be a distorted hexagonal cross section which will just damage the tiny bolt heads. As frustrating it is to use it i use the same alen key for other bolts on the bike too so kinda need it to not destroy tiny bolts that are seemingly made from putty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Cut off wheel will be clean. Mine has lasted ages and never been an issue. They are never super tight bolts.
Using Tapatalk

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Do you mean a wheel like on a dremel? Hmm...don't have a dremel but maybe I can borrow one. I use the same bolts to hold the custom Garmin mount on to my syncros aero r1.0 bars (same as Scott foil) and they need to be fairly tight plus I use a tiny bit of lock tight on them as I had one rattle loose during a race once. They're tricky to get at too so are already prone to rounding. But like you said cutting with a dremel might do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prebsy

by prebsy

blackburn toolmanator 5 is awesome - 3,4,5,6 + flat-head, 42g

Shrike

by Shrike

Making progress!

Clincher kit: 314g

Tubular kit: 281g

sungod

by sungod

i gave my lezyne carbon 10 multitool a ww redesign...

there were several tools on it that fit nothing on my bike, and two missing that i wanted (a crosshead to fit speedplay zero cleat adjust screws, a missing hex key size)

but i had another larger lezyne tool that at least had the missing size hex tool - the tools on it are almost identical in overall size to the carbon 10 ones

the chain tool i wanted to keep, i've not yet needed it personally but it did allow me to fix a chain for someone i found stranded out in the middle of nowhere

i rebuilt the carbon 10, leaving out the unwanted tools and adding the hex one from the other lezyne, had to experiment with the various spacers and washers to get the two sides the same width

then i cut the two 'pillars' to match the reduced width and tapped m4 threads in the cut ends, re-assembled

it's a fair bit smaller, avoids carrying an extra hex key loose for the missing size, and i can carry a small crosshead bit to use (by clamping it in the chain tool, works quite well), overall saved about 20g :)

Shrike

by Shrike

Nicely done sungod, didn't consider customising the multi... but the seed is now sown :D

TonyM

by TonyM

Good idea!

sungod

by sungod

this is the ww'd tool

the hex key that i moved from the other tool is the rightmost one, you can see the design is different and it is cv steel rather than ti

the philips bit stows neatly inside the 8mm hex tool

the bits that i removed are off to the side

tuba

by tuba

Image[/img]

I have never had an issue where I needed additional tools to fix a roadside repair.
Swisstech Utili-Key, Actiontec 3,4,5,6 mm ti allen keys
a lightweight tube is the item wrapped in the blue paper towel

all items in the red bag in the middle jersey pocket

Shrike

by Shrike

203g!

Goddamn. I was satisfied I'd done a decent job until I saw that.

Back to the drawing board..

GJ!

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Bought Silca Eolo wallet. Fairly pricey for ~50€ when its made in China but couldn't find any other similar product. However quality looks good. I don't like how full plastic bag fit on back pocket so wanted try this.

Old Lezyne multitool 151g. 95g after modification.

Not so weenie but I think there's everything I might need on road. Forgot KMC missinglink and presta to schrader adapter. Tube is Continental race 28 light.

First thought it's too large and heavy but its not stretching the jersey fabric so it feel pretty good. Maybe becouse it fill pocket completely and it's less than 4cm deep.

punk

by punk

2x conti race light, micro pump, 2x tire lever, chain tool, 4, 5 and 6mm hex, chain tool, tire and tube patch, quick link and presta-schrader adapter.
Plus 58g for the saddle bag.

Could be a lot lighter if I dropped 1 tube and the chain tool...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Verbal

by Verbal

Let me introduce you my repair kit :up:

Best upgrade was my toolminator based on this video :thumbup:

https://youtu.be/k_5CO-evFS8

Mixing lezyne v10 and 2 topeak multitools.

A pair of nityl gloves
Quick link
Baby wipe
Gad station inflate adaptator
Valve core and extand tool

All this put in a neoprene pouch

I had an old and light veloflex record 19 straped under my saddle and I’m ready for some pretty longs rides

During winter I rode clinchers and I just swap my tubular to my silca roll premio with a light inner tube inside and I put my lezyne pump in my jersey pocket.