climbing with high profile rim.. thoughts?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

addictR1 wrote:the side wind effect may be a good factor in my climb. maybe it's mental. figures rotational mass from a high profile rim with lower weight should take the same energy to climb compared to a shallower rim with same weight.

Yes, it's all mental. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

addictR1 wrote:kgt.. i do have a set of kinlin 19mm profile wheelset. but wanted to go tubular now that i've caught the bug. heard alloy tubular may not be as good as brake heat may warm up the glue causing the tubs to come lose?

I don't think so. Pro riders were using alu tubulars for ages when technology was way less advanced.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

uhm... crosswinds, yeah... not all of us live or ride the high mountain passes. I've been to higher mountains a few times (like Dolomites or Alps) and really can't remember winds being any issue - but maybe that's because I'm used to crosswinds on a daily basis and crazy fast descending isn't really my thing :noidea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

addictR1 wrote:which BORA are you riding on now? 35 or 50? a mate in the group i ride with have an avg 230W+ FTP and recommended me to get the Aero72 for my TMR02, which looks and feels sexy and fast. but when comes to him buying his wheelset, he went with Bora Ultra 35 instead of 50 on his S5 because he didn't think he can spin a bora 50 uphill. lol...

50 of course :thumbup:

my first deep wheelset was some Gipiemme stuff weighting at 2.2kg a pair - and I did some climbing on those (I even took them on my first trip to Austria). a guy I know rode the race around the Tatras on the same wheels too... few times I believe.

so if someone cries over few grams of a feather light carbon goodies... :roll:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

gitsome

by gitsome

I agtee if stiff crosswinds then not dersireable or advantageous, and often at higher alts winds can pick up quickly and be fierce, but otherwise at 1300 g or less its all in your mind!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

otoman

by otoman

Tire choice made you climb slower on the aero tubular wheels. Clinchers have less rolling resistance on average than tubs. On that 15% grade, your aero wheels that weigh the same as your shallow, alloy clincher wheels will climb basically the same as the aero benefits will be inconsequential. Rolling resistance between worst and best tires/tubes can be up to 50W for a pair.

Furthermore the quality of the glue job makes a difference in tire rolling resistance as well.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

de zwarten

by de zwarten

otoman wrote:Tire choice made you climb slower on the aero tubular wheels. Clinchers have less rolling resistance on average than tubs.

What do you mean by average? In (non-real-world) tests, some clinchers perform better, but I still have to see a convincing test in real world circumstances. Those tests are relevant, in my opinion, for rides without too much curves on smooth asphalt. For all other use I simply cannot rely on those test results.

otoman wrote:Rolling resistance between worst and best tires/tubes can be up to 50W for a pair.

Furthermore the quality of the glue job makes a difference in tire rolling resistance as well.

50 Watt seems a lot, all graphs I have seen talk about 25 watt for the very best pair and 50 watt for the worst pair (be it tubular or clincher), so a difference of 25 watt. I understood that the type of glue (hard glue is better) and the amount of glue (less glue is better) makes a difference, but I still haven't seen clear numbers. I wonder how much would be that difference.

otoman

by otoman

Yeah I'm talking like the worst Tufo tub vs a Conti supersonic. On Tom Anhalt's roller data he says the differences are about 1.5x on the road VW smooth roller test. Of course that is widely variable based on road surface. My point is, no one had yet mentioned rolling resistance which is a huge source of power suck.

otoman

by otoman

*vs not VW