Has anyone bought the Shimano S-Phyre RC9?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

JohnnyHanel

by JohnnyHanel

If so where did you purchase them from?! And also, are you happy with them? I'm in the market for some new shoes and have been drooling over them for a while now. The reason I ask where you purchased them from is because I've looking for a US based store that stocks them, with no luck. They are listed on a few.. but not actually in stock. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Got them in Feb. Over here in Germany they're available in every other shop. Great shoes. Fit snug, super stiff, ventilation is perfect, boa works flawless.

Originally ordered the wide version as my feet kept hurting when riding longer than ~5h in my specialized sub6. Figured it was because the sub6 were to narrow. When the RC9 arrived i was quite surprised that wide really means wide. They were huge, so i went with the standard version. Still needed to go one size down eventually. I'm a 44 in all other shoes, but needed the RC9 in 43.

i was worried when ordering them, because there i a thread here, where someone broke the holes in the carbon sole when mounting his cleats. But i changed cleats twice so far and no damage done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JohnnyHanel

by JohnnyHanel

eins4eins wrote:Got them in Feb. Over here in Germany they're available in every other shop. Great shoes. Fit snug, super stiff, ventilation is perfect, boa works flawless.

Originally ordered the wide version as my feet kept hurting when riding longer than ~5h in my specialized sub6. Figured it was because the sub6 were to narrow. When the RC9 arrived i was quite surprised that wide really means wide. They were huge, so i went with the standard version. Still needed to go one size down eventually. I'm a 44 in all other shoes, but needed the RC9 in 43.

i was worried when ordering them, because there i a thread here, where someone broke the holes in the carbon sole when mounting his cleats. But i changed cleats twice so far and no damage done.

thanks for advice! were the others shoes you owned in a 44 shimano shoes?

because i actually wear a 44 as well. right now i'm using the shimano r321's (in a 44) and they fit perfect

if so, maybe i'll try the 43.5?? i noticed the have half sizes which is cool. just no one seems to stock them! in any size for that matter. so weird! no clue why.

nickcube

by nickcube

That seems really odd since even here in Australia we have no issues getting them in, have you tried your LBS? Brilliant shoes btw.

Antoine

by Antoine

They don't seem that much available here.

Unlike the RP9 (second in the range) , not as gorgeous but much cheaper.

JohnnyHanel

by JohnnyHanel

nickcube wrote:That seems really odd since even here in Australia we have no issues getting them in, have you tried your LBS? Brilliant shoes btw.

ya i did! all the local places around here that carry shimano shoes don't have them for some reason. they all claim that they can get them for me... but i was just looking to avoid another upcharge via the LBS to be honest. they're already too expensive as is haha

i did actually just find all 4 colors listed for sale on arts cyclery's website. but the black ones aren't actually available to buy haha. i think the only ones actually in stock are the high vis. i may actually just go with them. they were my second choice!

JohnnyHanel

by JohnnyHanel

Antoine wrote:They don't seem that much available here.

Unlike the RP9 (second in the range) , not as gorgeous but much cheaper.

ya man. it's so weird

nickcube

by nickcube

JohnnyHanel wrote:
nickcube wrote:That seems really odd since even here in Australia we have no issues getting them in, have you tried your LBS? Brilliant shoes btw.

ya i did! all the local places around here that carry shimano shoes don't have them for some reason. they all claim that they can get them for me... but i was just looking to avoid another upcharge via the LBS to be honest. they're already too expensive as is haha

i did actually just find all 4 colors listed for sale on arts cyclery's website. but the black ones aren't actually available to buy haha. i think the only ones actually in stock are the high vis. i may actually just go with them. they were my second choice!

I saw the dealer pricing and that was pretty steep, so no wonder LBS's would rather not waste money on ordering pairs just to sit there. I'm pretty sure I heard the black colour is meant to be limited edition too or something like that, but Shimano are certainly making it quite hard for people to get a hold on these shoes. My store ordered mine in for me too but sizing was pretty similar between the shoes I tried on and the s-phyres

JohnnyHanel

by JohnnyHanel

UPDATE: still no luck getting my hands on any. i decided to try and just order through the local bike shop(s) whom are shimano dealers and none of them could get me a black or hi vis yellow pair in 44! so i said screw this and just called Shimano USA. and they said it's true... there's none available to any of the dealers until JUNE. hahaha what the.... i asked why and they basically just said the that they haven't been able to keep up with demand. smh.

i'm willing to order from an international shop at this point. anyone know of a online shop near you whom stock them? thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antoine

by Antoine

JohnnyHanel

by JohnnyHanel

Antoine wrote:you can shop in Germany :

https://www.bike24.com is very good

https://www.bike-components.de/fr/Shimano/S-Phyre-SH-RC9-Rennrad-Schuhe-Modell-2017-p51591/ never used but probably good also

thanks for the links! i actually ended up greeting frustrated the other day and gave up & bought some Fizik R1B's. haha. i would really preferred the shimano rc9's but i'm getting to the point where i wanna ride a lot and i didn't want to wait any longer.

but ya that you and everyone else for the advice/suggestions

Antoine

by Antoine

S-Phyre look very popular at Redlands classic :

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/05/photo-gallery-2017-redlands-bicycle-classic/

I wonder if they got it directly from Shimano with a sponsorship or a reduced price

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Antoine wrote:S-Phyre look very popular at Redlands classic :

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/05/photo-gallery-2017-redlands-bicycle-classic/

I wonder if they got it directly from Shimano with a sponsorship or a reduced price

Most of the riders you see in the S-Phyre are from United Healthcare Pro Cycling and they have a full Shimano sponsorship.

norcimmus

by norcimmus

Anyone with experience on these yet? The S-Works 6 in wide version is still not wide enough so I'm looking into getting the RC-9's in wide with the next half size up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

I have been contemplating replacing my Giro Empire shoes with the RC9 but there is no stock locally for me to see and try on in person. Will probably just order another set of Empores and hope Shimano gets more RC9s out there and maybe next year.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."