Help with STRAVA. !!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KCookie

by KCookie

Awesome thanks. For the life of me ive tried over and over do that, followed every step, but can't find the live segment part. So i gave up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

KCookie wrote:Awesome thanks. For the life of me ive tried over and over do that, followed every step, but can't find the live segment part. So i gave up.

Just mark it as a favorite in Strava (the star icon) and provided everything is linked correctly between Garmin Connect and Strava, next time you go out the segment will appear on your 520. Might be an idea to force a sync from the Garmin mobile app first to be sure.

The option for live segments is shown below (iPhone version). It's in the Settings>3rd Party Apps section of the Garmin Connect mobile app

KCookie

by KCookie

This is what is showing on mine. Cant get it to go live. Image

KCookie

by KCookie

Sorry pic didnt work this is it.

moonoi

by moonoi

That's very odd, the 520 is a segment compatible device. I'd suggest deleting the 520 from the phone and then forget the phone on the 520, restart both and then reconnect. I've had to do this on several occasions, normally when they either update the app, or the Garmin was updated with a newer firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

Awesome thanks moonoi. Sitting here with iPad phone and computer on trying to get it to work. Not having much luck. Ill try it now. Cheers

KCookie

by KCookie

Done that, and it's still showing the same. Wtf is going on I do not know. !!!

moonoi

by moonoi

Clearly you need an iPhone :p

But seriously, this doesn't make any sense. If someone sends you text messages do they also appear on the screen of your 520 when riding?

Mine has 2 connections to the phone, the normal Bluetooth one that is used for uploading rides, and the BTLE which handles messaging and live updates, I don't have an android to try with, but I'd assume that it's similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

Lol.
Yes i get calls and text notifications on the screen whist riding. Ive contacted strava about this so hopefully they can help as im in talk with them anyway as they are withdrawing a monthly subscription even though i paid for a year up front. So more problems. I just cant win atm.

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

Your Samsung galaxy should be capable of supporting ANT+ devices. However, I don't think the Strava app connects to any sensors other than the phone's gps. ( I have used the app ipBike, which will connect to all the ANT+ sensors) Therefore you will get speed and distance, but not HR, or cadence if you have a cadence sensor.

Still, the best solution is as above to only use the Garmin for activity recording, or use both, but discard the Strava app record before uploading it.

KCookie

by KCookie

Awesome thanks for the help guys. Will try it out the way you all suggest on Friday. :)

saeie1

by saeie1

I always Garmin and Bluetooth to connect into the cell phone.
Garmin just saving after you finish your exercise STRAVA uploaded to the connected to connector.
Without having to download separately STRAVA available.

gtinut

by gtinut

so, Strava app doesn't support ANT+. many people asked them for it and they refuse to integrate it and hey are focused only on BTLE and some silly features.
ipbike for Android is way to go. It supports ANT+ and BTLE and can upload to Strava and other platforms.
Any bug found in ipbike is fixed almost right away, with Strava...good luck.
I have few ant+ sensors on my bikes, Garmin HR and logging with ipbike works great. I noticed that logs are more accurate since Samsung phone hasd has better GPS hardware than Garmin.

KCookie

by KCookie

Awesome, thanks guys, downloaded right today from Garmin. Have also downloaded the ipbike app.
Now just need the strava live segments to work on the Garmin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Strava Question:

A buddy did a ride. I'd like to download his ride in a format that I could load as a route on my Garmin 510. When you click the download link for a GPX file on Strava it says that that is a premium feature.

Are there any 3rd party web sites or tools that will do this for free?