Phil Gaimon's "Worst Retirement Ever"

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

Really trying hard to like Phil. Still not there yet. Not sure why, but go on and do your thing man.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I like concept. Racing the clock and course records always seemed more meaningful to me than heads up racing. He should try to beat Danielson's times up Mt. Evans and Mt. Washington. Maybe not possible though for any clean rider.

euan

by euan

He said he won't because they are buds. So hey ho.

euph

by euph

Did anyone see the video about losing weight on his bike for the challenge? Not to be too judgemental but for the budget and the premise of the whole project the final weight of 14lbs or so was a bit of a disappointment. I will try and find the video.

jeffy

by jeffy

Someone should explain to him that the Garmin he is using has Live Segments and direct bluetooth->phone upload over the air. Less drama though, but more competence.

kode54

by kode54

euph wrote:Did anyone see the video about losing weight on his bike for the challenge? Not to be too judgemental but for the budget and the premise of the whole project the final weight of 14lbs or so was a bit of a disappointment. I will try and find the video.

wasn't that at a bike shop like Above Category in SF?

i remember seeing it. nothing close to Donald's bike.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

euph

by euph

I think it was something like that. One of those Instagram shops. Probably why I can't find the video anywhere. 14lbs isn't bad but the video just built it up to be a huge tuning undertaking for the best KOM hunting bike ever seen. Yet all I think they did was cut the drops and stick some ee Brakes on or something. Picking at little things really though. Hope Phil enjoys his retirement.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

AC's blog post on Phil's bike mentioned some equipment choices were limited because of sponsor obligations.

Sir Rides a Lot

by Sir Rides a Lot

His bike is creaking badly!

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

jeffy wrote:Someone should explain to him that the Garmin he is using has Live Segments and direct bluetooth->phone upload over the air. Less drama though, but more competence.

I watched and wondered the same. Come on, man!

Looking forward to follow-up episodes...
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

jeffy wrote:Someone should explain to him that the Garmin he is using has Live Segments and direct bluetooth->phone upload over the air. Less drama though, but more competence.

Maybe he didn't want to carry his cell phone on him during the climb?

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Peel Diamond is making me feel some sympathy for BS. Think I'll place a jersey order tonight.

djbowen99

by djbowen99

Once the drops were cutoff the bike I lost interest. In my mind he's no longer riding a normal road bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com