Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nycebo

by nycebo

Ordered both Wahoos, thinking that the original Elemnt might be too big for me coming from an Edge 810. While I'm still waiting for delivery of the Bolt, the original arrived yesterday. Setup was a dream. Fast and easy via the phone and paired to ANT+ devices in a hurry. Very pleased with the form factor. It's wider than the 810 but the same length and actually thinner. I like that the screen is larger, also. Should help me on cold, early morning rides when my eyes are tearing. Anyway, when the Bolt arrives, I'll see if the screen size hampers the lovely smaller form.

commendatore

by commendatore

jfranci3 wrote:EDIT: Missing fundamental feature- No odometer/bike profiles. You can't track accumulated distance on your equipment.

FYI - Garmin dropped that feature a while ago. I can't remember if it was last in the 500 or the 510

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kytyree

by kytyree

commendatore wrote:
jfranci3 wrote:EDIT: Missing fundamental feature- No odometer/bike profiles. You can't track accumulated distance on your equipment.

FYI - Garmin dropped that feature a while ago. I can't remember if it was last in the 500 or the 510

But I think you could do that through the garmin app or connect. I know you could with things like running shoes.

I looked and you can add bikes under the "gear" tab on the app. Then you'd just select the appropriate bike and add it to the ride file.

Maybe something similar through an app for the Element/Element Bolt.

I haven't used a Garming cycling GPS in a while, since they went color basically, but I do have a Bolt on back order. I have one of the Garmin watches so I do use their software some. It's ok but there are things about it that frustrate me.

Primarily is that it still often requires waiting for the watch to be ready.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Really?
My 500 had it.

Just checked....Garmin 520 has activity profiles, which you're supposed to tie the odometer to.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

It seems Wahoo is coming out with a Mini
https://www.hibike.de/wahoo-elemnt-mini ... r_88360024

Totally phone / sensor reliant, bluetooth only, no gps, 12mo battery life on a watch battery, no maps, ANT & bte, 5 data fields(?), $90

Sam

by Sam

Really cool. It's about time that Garmin get some proper competition. Wahoo is percieved as the more creative alternative if you ask me. People dig that.

fuel2000

by fuel2000

Does the bolt fit in a Garmin 3/4 turn mount?

glepore

by glepore

Yes, with a modification, and its unofficial. The mount needs to be rotated 90 degrees as the tabs are at 6 and 12 on the Elemnt/Bolt. They are also slightly wider, so you may have to nip them. There are a number of workarounds-WheresWaldo on this forum (the 3d printed parts thread) does an adaptor. Also, he sells some Wahoo mounts, and although he'll tell you its a coincidence, his Garmin mounts are set up at with the notches at 45 degrees, and are great if you interchange Garmin and Wahoo computers. Also, kedge has an adapter puck for $5 that can be used in other applications. I used this on a 3t integra stem and the bolt looks great, better than the Garmin.

Of course, there's an outfront that comes with the Bolt, along with a stem puck similar to Garmin's.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

jfranci3 wrote:Played with the Wahoo unit today. Life is much better.
Going for ride with Garmin 500
1) Start unit
2) If I synced it, it would say 'working' for like 5 minutes.
3) If I hadn't used it or it isn't where I shut it down, it would take 2-3 min to acquire sats. Longer if I just started riding.
4) Check to make sure ANT+ bridge is talking to phone.
5) Start Strava.
later
6) If I sync'd t, I'd have to delete all the duplicate rides on Strava.

Wahoo unit
1) Start unit

No waiting. No syncing.

Haven't used it for long rides yet, but seems to work flawless for a new product. One more detail that bugs me, the standard mount has the attachment bolt and the bulk of it is visible. It just looks unclean. The could have easily have moved it out of sight like everyone else does.

EDIT: Missing fundamental feature- No odometer/bike profiles. You can't track accumulated distance on your equipment.

So your comparing the new wahoo to the unit that was released In 2009?

#awesome #broscience

fuel2000

by fuel2000

glepore wrote:Yes, with a modification, and its unofficial. The mount needs to be rotated 90 degrees as the tabs are at 6 and 12 on the Elemnt/Bolt. They are also slightly wider, so you may have to nip them. There are a number of workarounds-WheresWaldo on this forum (the 3d printed parts thread) does an adaptor. Also, he sells some Wahoo mounts, and although he'll tell you its a coincidence, his Garmin mounts are set up at with the notches at 45 degrees, and are great if you interchange Garmin and Wahoo computers. Also, kedge has an adapter puck for $5 that can be used in other applications. I used this on a 3t integra stem and the bolt looks great, better than the Garmin.

Of course, there's an outfront that comes with the Bolt, along with a stem puck similar to Garmin's.

Thanks for that, I have a Canyon with the aero cockpit, so I'm limited to which out front mounts I can use. Using my Canyon one with some adaptation would be the easiest.

glepore

by glepore

To clarify, I meant nip the slots in the mount rather than nip the tabs on the Bolt. I just used a pair of diagonal cutters to make each opening a couple mm wider.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Tomdaws

by Tomdaws

fuel2000 wrote:
glepore wrote:Yes, with a modification, and its unofficial. The mount needs to be rotated 90 degrees as the tabs are at 6 and 12 on the Elemnt/Bolt. They are also slightly wider, so you may have to nip them. There are a number of workarounds-WheresWaldo on this forum (the 3d printed parts thread) does an adaptor. Also, he sells some Wahoo mounts, and although he'll tell you its a coincidence, his Garmin mounts are set up at with the notches at 45 degrees, and are great if you interchange Garmin and Wahoo computers. Also, kedge has an adapter puck for $5 that can be used in other applications. I used this on a 3t integra stem and the bolt looks great, better than the Garmin.

Thanks for that, I have a Canyon with the aero cockpit, so I'm limited to which out front mounts I can use. Using my Canyon one with some adaptation would be the easiest.

I was able to modify mine without too much trouble. I had to drill 2 holes & rotate the garmin mounting disc, then I used a Dremel to remove a little material from the mount so it could accept the Bolt.

It's not the prettiest solution, but when the Bolt is mounted it's barely noticeable & it'll do until Canyon come out with a Wahoo out front mount.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

sugarkane wrote:

#awesome #broscience

:-) Just happy things are better.

dton13

by dton13

sugarkane wrote:
jfranci3 wrote:Played with the Wahoo unit today. Life is much better.
Going for ride with Garmin 500
1) Start unit
2) If I synced it, it would say 'working' for like 5 minutes.
3) If I hadn't used it or it isn't where I shut it down, it would take 2-3 min to acquire sats. Longer if I just started riding.
4) Check to make sure ANT+ bridge is talking to phone.
5) Start Strava.
later
6) If I sync'd t, I'd have to delete all the duplicate rides on Strava.

Wahoo unit
1) Start unit

No waiting. No syncing.

Haven't used it for long rides yet, but seems to work flawless for a new product. One more detail that bugs me, the standard mount has the attachment bolt and the bulk of it is visible. It just looks unclean. The could have easily have moved it out of sight like everyone else does.

EDIT: Missing fundamental feature- No odometer/bike profiles. You can't track accumulated distance on your equipment.

#awesome #broscience

Have you even used a Wahoo unit? Your comment is awfully negative and defensive for some reason. There's no comparison on ease of setup with Garmin even their newest 820, it basically hasn't changed since 2009.

Garmin:
Put Garmin into BT pair mode
Search, add garmin to BT
Put Garmin into BT pair mode again
Search, add garmin BT BLE - why does there need to be two steps?
Half the time auto sync doesn't work

Wahoo:
Scan the QR code from phone - auto pairs. You don't even need to go into your settings.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Yeah and how is my comment negative?

Not defending the Garmin in any way.. it's great we have options that are fully delevloped but you can't compare a 8'yo unit to one that's just silly.. and who gives a rats about the set up.. you do it once and then it's sorted. I've had all of the Garmins since the 500 and I really like my 520 it's a soild unit and light years beyond the 500 but 8 years ago when it was the best unit on the market the 50@ was it.. now it's dated and clunk not very surprising though as well it's no longer 2008..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com