Wahoo Element Bolt

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

kgibbo1868 wrote:Anyone have issues with their bolt rattling while riding? If I put my finger on it with very light pressure the rattle goes away..... :-(

Mine rattles.

Between that and some recently poor GPS tracking I'm a little unimpressed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

kgibbo1868 wrote:Anyone have issues with their bolt rattling while riding? If I put my finger on it with very light pressure the rattle goes away..... :-(

Tinea Pedis wrote:

Mine rattles.

Between that and some recently poor GPS tracking I'm a little unimpressed.

dlcrep wrote:Nothing noticeable during rides but I noticed there's play if you wiggle the top and bottom part of the unit. I wish the quarter turn was as solid as Garmin.

You guys using the native mount? I don't have any issues with the Racemount one which is a few grams lighter (no "aero" bottom though)

dlcrep

by dlcrep

I'm using a K-edge mount. I'd love to use the native aero mount but my bar needs a 35mm clamp.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Using the native mount.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

Yes, I am using the native mount as well. I put a very thin later of marine grade silicone on the front edge of the mount yesterday in an attempt to fill the gap and "firm up" the mount and remove the rattle. Fingers crossed, and I'll report back after my ride tomorrow. I HATE RATTLES!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Doesn't the bolt have that little set screw bolt you could secure it with to prevent rattles?

glepore

by glepore

It does. But what if you have multiple bikes? Don't want to futz with a tiny upside down screw.
Mine rattles. Thought it was cables hitting underside of mount.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MichaelB

by MichaelB

1st ride on the Bolt this morning (ex 520) and love it. Setup was easy, nav worked, link with RidewithGPS account worked well and routes loaded and worked.

Only drama is that post ride, the data hasn’t linked with my Strava account. I’ve linked it through the app (same method as with RWGPS and that worked) and even redid it just in case I got the wrong account, but the ride doesn’t show ?

It’s saved in the Wahoo app and shows there, so am I missing something ?

Stopped the ride and ‘saved’ it as I would have done with the Garmin, got an audible beep (and presumed that meant that it loaded to the Wahoo app), but nothing yet on Strava ?

Thanks

Michael

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

A friend got a Bolt based on my recommendation which in turn was based on comments in this thread.

He's been very happy with it until the other day when he went for a long ride in the rain. He says it worked fine for the first couple of ours then beeped crazily and then the screen died, although it did record the rest of his ride. Has come right again but this is a worrying sign.

Anyone else had issues in the rain with the Bolt?

jhalmar

by jhalmar

MichaelB wrote:Only drama is that post ride, the data hasn’t linked with my Strava account. I’ve linked it through the app (same method as with RWGPS and that worked) and even redid it just in case I got the wrong account, but the ride doesn’t show ?

Go to the Wahoo App -> Results-> Click the ride -> Check from the sharing icon (top right corner) that the sync has worked. I have had problems with TrainingPeaks sync and had to sync it again by tapping the icon from the sharing page. Strava has worked all the time.

yinya

by yinya

Had a bunch of rides in rain, no issues other than the already reported water collecting in mini puddles on top of the buttons. And mine rattles too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

kgibbo1868 wrote:Yes, I am using the native mount as well. I put a very thin later of marine grade silicone on the front edge of the mount yesterday in an attempt to fill the gap and "firm up" the mount and remove the rattle. Fingers crossed, and I'll report back after my ride tomorrow. I HATE RATTLES!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

The thin layer of silicone has fixed the rattle and the bolt feels more secure when mounting it. Very happy now...... but I did have some other issues where the speed kept dropping out and finally it got so bad I had to reboot the bolt. After the reboot everything was fine. This all happened around 4 hours into a 6 hour ride. All of the ride data was automatically recovered after the reboot so that was good.
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Sounds precisely like the issue I had with mine yesterday

https://www.strava.com/activities/1269976249

5hrs in to a 6hr ride. I really do like the Bolt but I've not sold my 520 and am considering going back to it.

yinya

by yinya

Would you mind posting a picture of the silicone fill you did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelB

by MichaelB

@ jhalmar - thanks for the tip. I actually did that, as well as unpairing etc, and did a ride sunday and it worked like it should.
Issue was that on the 1st ride, I also did a manual record in Strava to compare the results after. It seems that the manual activity meant that when it tried to export from Wahoo, it thought, 'no point, it's already there'.
Deleted the manual activity, re-forced the share of the ride, and ta-da, it shows up in Strava. Rookie user error, so all great. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com