Christchurch New Zealand

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Hi guys any Kiwis on here ha ha ?

Just looking for group ride and general ride advice ...

Also , thought I'd have a career break and try retail , any bike shops worth checking out ?

Any other suggestions for things to see generally or cool bike shops to visit ?

Not really blown away by Christchurch so far but it is pretty cool and good to see plenty of people riding . Hoping on doing heaps of skiing and touring as well ..

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I biked the South Island some 20 years ago. I thought the riding fantastic and some of the best available anywhere but never thought of any sight-seeing to do on the bike with the exception of making sure you passed through the kettle lakes, and while off the bike to visit the glaciers and the Milford Sound. Otherwise just hit the road and marvel at nature.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Looks like we'll be moving to Christchurch in September, so I'll be watching this with interest.

From what I've read the Port Hills have some great riding (not sure how the access will be at the moment because of the wildfire?). The Hombase ride is also mentioned a lot as a good group ride.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

get in contact with theremery via PM - he's Chch based and also weeracerweenie is Chch based as well but he hasn't been on here for a while.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Also come up to Wellington, loads of riding up here, on and off road

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

We are very lucky here in Christchurch with fantastic road and MTB riding.

However it is currently not at full capacity due to the earthquakes and the recent fire. City streets are a mess with EQ damage and one of the main hill road rides is closed while they sort out the rock fall risk.

The fire has closed the main way up the hill but hopefully that will be sorted out over the next few days.

Overall one of the best places to ride in the world (IMHO) once it returns to its former glory, and still very good in the meantime.

Cheers
GJ

ajmit3

by ajmit3

Cheers everyone - found this on a local cycling club website

2. Sunday 9 am Leaving from Homebase, Marshlands Rd. Out to Kaiapoi, Woodend, Sefton Loop, Rangiora back to Homebase for coffee. 100k and 85k option. Also have new group ..for any newbies wanting to learn to bunch ride or anyone just getting back on the bike. Slow easy pace 50k. Find us on Facebook under Homebase Sunday Bunch Ride!

3. Tuesday Worlds: Princess Margaret
Tuesday 8.30 Medium paced and then fast from the bottom of Gebbies Pass. 65km
Princess Margaret, Halswell Downs, Tai tapu, Gebbies Pass, Teddington, Governors Bay, Sign of the Kiwi and home. (Route depends on road conditions due to earthquake)

4. Magpies: Cracroft House or Cashmere Halswell Quarry Car park
Wednesday morning 9.30 Easy paced with 3 main groups. Suits all abilities 60-70km
Cracroft, Cashmere Downs, Lincoln, Springston, Coes Ford, Tai Tapu for coffee

5. Princess Margaret
Mornings (except Wednesday) 9.30 70km Hill or Flat ride

rouleur01
in the industry

by rouleur01

Spin Doctors are a good bunch to get in with. Been a couple of times (not sure if you need to have an introduction to ride with them sorry as I have gone along with a mate). They leave PMH (Princess Margret Hospital) at 8:30am Saturdays and Sundays and ride a couple of times through week as well from memory.

Winter Worlds racing starts in a couple of months too, http://www.winterworlds.co.nz/, great, fast, flat racing that is really made exciting by the extremes of Canterbury winter weather! 11 races, every Sunday from about mid-May at Prebbleton. 7 Grades.

As for retail stores you are pretty spoiled for choice to be honest. All except Scotty Browns are pretty MTB heavy (NZ market place in general). What sort of position would you be looking at, manager, mechanic or sales? I can only really comment on Giant dealers as that was who I was dealing with locally for the last couple of years. PM me if you need any more info.

To be honest I (biased opinion) think Canterbury riding is pretty hard to beat on the whole (epic alpine views aside) as the variety is so great. The only terrain we are lacking nearby is rolling hills as you either have climbs or flat and nothing really in between.

Massive scope for mountain biking within a few hours as well and once the park and surrounding tracks open again then the Port Hills will be up to full capacity again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com