Cycling in New York

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Flying to New York from London tomorrow and we're staying in the Central Park / Times Square area for 8 days.

Although I know it's usually pretty cold, the forecast looks quite good. How easy is it to hire a decent road bike? Are you allowed to cycle round Central Park?

Hoping to avoid pedal cold turkey while I'm there!

Thanks!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, plenty of riding in Central Park although it's a bit dull for people who are used to California riding.
There should be a weekly, mid-week circuit for the racers looking to get a good workout in...

Here are some older threads though, most likely still applicable:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=75000

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140027
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thegunner

by thegunner

prendrefeu wrote:There should be a weekly, mid-week circuit for the racers looking to get a good workout in...

not in central park (i don't think anyway). there's sometimes cat6 weekly worlds hosted by rapha, but i'm not sure that's started yet this year.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Huh... well I admit it was a long, long time ago and I'm getting old in the tooth, but I distinctly remember visiting a close friend for Thanksgiving + a week and while I was there I did a mid-week morning circuit ride with about 100 or so other guys, mostly professionals. One of my friend's neighbors invited me, so I just jumped on a borrowed bike one morning and headed off with him, then returned back to Brooklyn Heights not knowing what streets we were taking at all. I also remember it being quite fast for an 'off season' ride, but not as fast as some of the 'off season' road rides here in SoCal.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

djbowen99

by djbowen99

Riding in Central Park is ok and mostly cyclists before 8am when cars are allowed back in, then it's tourists, cabs, and horses. There are typically local teams doing laps and some are friendly and some not so much. For the weekend you can head over the bridge and up 9W like every other cyclist in the area. There's a number of bike shops that will rent you a decent enough road bike. Check Toga and SBR shops

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Thanks for the tips.

In the end, I didn't hire, as I didn't have my cycle shoes with me.

Just took out Citibikes every now and again and made the most of the great weather to ride mostly round Central Park.

Probably surprised quite a few locals to see some guy in full Castelli / Cyclespeed kit, hammering the 45lbs Citibike for all he's worth. Love that short steep climb at the top left corner!

IF you want a max heart rate workout, that's the way to do it!

Leaving today. Been great, but eating out in NY sure is expensive....tax + tip!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com