Giro Empire SLX durability, experiences?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Any specific cause you can think of?

garjo

by garjo

Shrike wrote:Any specific cause you can think of?
IMHO a sort of cutting force due to a poweful tip pedaling with Time xpresso cleats (which are thicker than others) set in their more advanced position possible
Last edited by garjo on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

garjo

by garjo

Finally I have to say Giro warranty has worked really very well:
in few weeks they sent me (through the shop where I bought them) another brand new pair of Empires with no need to send my damaged ones back!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Repair the busted ones as rain shoes ;)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

kytyree

by kytyree

garjo wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:26 pm
Today changing my old cleats noticed this crack on my right Empire carbon outsole (just 1year old=6000km), could Giro warranty cover this kind of defect? Please let me know..

I found the exact same crack in mine over the weekend. In fact your photos could easily be pictures of mine, even the same color uppers. I bought mine in April last year IIRC, so I'm past the year warranty. I wear my cleats as far aft as possible, I think you mentioned yours were more forward?

Don't know that I've ever busted a sole though. Glad I caught it before it went all the way through out on the road, at the least it could have made for an uncomfortable ride home. Guess I'll be riding my nearly ten year old Sidi's till I find a replacement.

garjo

by garjo

kytyree wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:08 pm
garjo wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:26 pm
Today changing my old cleats noticed this crack on my right Empire carbon outsole (just 1year old=6000km), could Giro warranty cover this kind of defect? Please let me know..

I found the exact same crack in mine over the weekend. In fact your photos could easily be pictures of mine, even the same color uppers. I bought mine in April last year IIRC, so I'm past the year warranty. I wear my cleats as far aft as possible, I think you mentioned yours were more forward?

Don't know that I've ever busted a sole though. Glad I caught it before it went all the way through out on the road, at the least it could have made for an uncomfortable ride home. Guess I'll be riding my nearly ten year old Sidi's till I find a replacement.
Mine was not fully cracked, so when I moved my cleats in the medium position (instead than forward) I could still ride them with no problems

IchDien

by IchDien

Seems like a rider's shoe broke on the Transcontinental too...

I still haven't heard anything from Giro about the crack in my sole despite emailing them twice.

peroni

by peroni

Says made in china on mines

Being white and running cleats all the way back I pick up tire marks very often. I now put a piece of white electrical tape on the tip to protect the shoe, blends in nicely. Can't really see it unless you know it's there.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 2014 Campagnolo SR

kgt

by kgt

peroni wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:58 am
Says made in china on mines.
I can't see why people pay that much money for made in China shoes with laces when you can find better constructed, made in Italy shoes with full boa for the same if not less money.

moonoi

by moonoi

kgt wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:56 am
peroni wrote:
I can't see why people pay that much money for made in China shoes with laces when you can find better constructed, made in Italy shoes with full boa for the same if not less money.
Perhaps because they fit better than your "made in Italy" shoes with full boa.

Personally I prefer lace ups, and have a pair of these for the past 2 years without any issues, still look great and no durability issues. I also have a pair of Quoc Night Road Black Leather. Both fit my feet better and are far more comfortable than anything I've tried with a "made in Italy" label.

Location of manufacturing is not a sign of quality, especially when Italy is involved... :lol:

kgt

by kgt

moonoi wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:24 am
Location of manufacturing is not a sign of quality, especially when Italy is involved... :lol:
In our case it seems that it is...

Antoine

by Antoine

the sole is made by Easton, in Mexico or in China ?

peroni

by peroni

kgt wrote:
This is WW and so weight has its own importance.
Also the SLX insoles with three different shapes is something not every product has.
Sidi for example has crappy insoles even in their top range shoes.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 2014 Campagnolo SR

jekyll man

by jekyll man

kgt wrote:
peroni wrote:
Having had a set of "made in Italy" Fiziks that didnt last very long at all before their backs were broken and started to give me feet problems, i'll take the poorer constructed (your words kgt, not mine) 2 sets of Empires i've got anytime.
Fit and comfort i've found is second to none, and i've had some high end race shoes over the years.
Sidi= Lancia of the bike shoe world...
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com