What has Frankie been doing today?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Thanks all!

@donald, I have thought about that and bought a Tacx Neo a couple of months ago. Add a subscription to zwift and you are good to go!
The machine is so silent that you can practically ride next to a sleeping baby with it. :thumbup:

Do you guys have practical tips and hints for the coming period?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

Frankie - B wrote:

Congratulations ! :beerchug:

One thing I will say about babies....they are like mirrors.
If your calm they are usually calm

Good luck :thumbup:

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Frankie - B wrote:Do you guys have practical tips and hints for the coming period?

Meaning, the next 20 years?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

My tip? Don't have two at once. Humans are not meant to have litters. Found out the hard way.

It's simple - if the baby sleeps you can handle anything. If the baby doesn't sleep, you are f#*ked.

If you do end up seriously sleep deprived, an extra effort will be required to keep your emotions rational. Check yourself, check your behaviour, and make sure you are your wife's knight in shinning armor. She will be tested more then you.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Congratulations. I think being a Dad is an awesome thing - awesomely rewarding and difficult at the same time.

You'll quickly be able to distinguish between various cries! Even when you're asleep.

de zwarten

by de zwarten

weekends: sleep while the baby sleeps.
weeks: ride to work once or twice.

about kids: all time with them is quality time. Don't stress it's quality time. The more time, the better. The first years are the most important. You maybe think a baby doesn't feel it if you are absent, but for sure they will have a thighter bond with you when you are present more.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

1] Patience with the spouse. 2] Patience with the kid.

Start saving money.

ill principe

by ill principe

Frankie - B wrote:Thanks all!

@donald, I have thought about that and bought a Tacx Neo a couple of months ago. Add a subscription to zwift and you are good to go!
The machine is so silent that you can practically ride next to a sleeping baby with it. :thumbup:

Regarding the silence of the trainer, don´t try to be quiet around the baby. The baby lives in amniotic fluid right now (and water transports sound very well) so babies are used to lots of noice. So keep making noice after the baby is born, we used to vacuum and listen to music when our daughter slept during the first year.
If you learn a baby that it needs to be quiet to sleep you´re just creating trouble. So go all in on that noisy turbo trainer...

And congrats of course!
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

robertg

by robertg

Congratulations to you and your wife!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

flying wrote:Congratulations ! :beerchug:

One thing I will say about babies....they are like mirrors.
If your calm they are usually calm

Good luck :thumbup:

Thanks man! that is a great tip as well. thankfully I usually keep my cool.

UpFromOne wrote:Meaning, the next 20 years?

Ah, thanks for reminding me that. I was more looking into info to survive the upcoming storm ;)

Mr.Gib wrote:My tip? Don't have two at once. Humans are not meant to have litters. Found out the hard way.

It's simple - if the baby sleeps you can handle anything. If the baby doesn't sleep, you are f#*ked.

If you do end up seriously sleep deprived, an extra effort will be required to keep your emotions rational. Check yourself, check your behaviour, and make sure you are your wife's knight in shinning armor. She will be tested more then you.

oh, I feel for you!
Misses B and I are usually on the same level so i hope that we both can keep our emotions rational. How are the twins doing?

Johnny Rad wrote:Congratulations. I think being a Dad is an awesome thing - awesomely rewarding and difficult at the same time.

You'll quickly be able to distinguish between various cries! Even when you're asleep.

Even when I sleep... that is not what i wanted to hear to be honest. :shock:

Juanmoretime wrote:Be there. Raise your own children. Encourage them to be the best, don't push them.

I need this one printed, on the wall. Great quote.

de zwarten wrote:weekends: sleep while the baby sleeps.
weeks: ride to work once or twice.

about kids: all time with them is quality time. Don't stress it's quality time. The more time, the better. The first years are the most important. You maybe think a baby doesn't feel it if you are absent, but for sure they will have a thighter bond with you when you are present more.

This ride to work thing might be a hard one with my job. I'll try to be there for Baby B as much as I can.

ill principe wrote:Regarding the silence of the trainer, don´t try to be quiet around the baby. The baby lives in amniotic fluid right now (and water transports sound very well) so babies are used to lots of noice. So keep making noice after the baby is born, we used to vacuum and listen to music when our daughter slept during the first year.
If you learn a baby that it needs to be quiet to sleep you´re just creating trouble. So go all in on that noisy turbo trainer...

And congrats of course!

I had never thought of that, but it is quite logical to be honest. My home office is in the room right next to Baby B. I'll crank up the volume when I'm listening to Moderat ;)
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Frankie - B wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:My tip? Don't have two at once. Humans are not meant to have litters. Found out the hard way.

oh, I feel for you!
Misses B and I are usually on the same level so i hope that we both can keep our emotions rational. How are the twins doing?

Haha, had them pretty young and got very lucky. Currently "killing it" at university. Neither will touch a bicycle. Despite both being gym rats, basketball players, skiers, etc., they think Mrs. Gib and I are insane when it comes to cycling. They can't understand why we would travel to the most mountainous parts of Europe every summer and spend 5 to 8 hours per day suffering. :D
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

KCookie

by KCookie

Start saving now, they cost a fortune. Don't get into the habit of letting the baby sleep in your bed, we did now my 4 year old daughter still sleeps in with the wife, yes I've been in my own bed that long.
Just started riding with my 7 year old daughter, so great times ahead.
It will be challenging, tiring and expensive, but there will also be some rewards.
Congrats, and hope all goes well for you both. !!!

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

maybe we should start a parenting thread on WW - you know just to keep up with board members' increasing age and all :mrgreen:

but to be serious and a bit on topic - which is bikes and riding them. I wish my dad took time to ride with me, or at least encourage me to try things out. he didn't so that's why I try to build this sort of a 'pal' relationship with my kid - taking her to concerts, riding bikes etc. kids do tend to follow their parents in their activities, but the key is not to force them. they need to take things in their own way, and we need to remember they're just kids, and they just wanna have fun

as for a parent's perspective on things, it changes a lot when the first one comes out. you suddenly start to worry - about yourself, the consequences of your actions. for instance - you probably won't ride without your helmet ever again, start picking 'safer' roads to ride, think twice before breaking speed limits in your car (at least that's how it was in my case) etc

the word is responsibility I believe but as long as you're in it for the long game (some asshole fathers quickly get bored and move on to their 'careers' or move out permanently) you and your 'manly' habits will do just fine. the money bit - that I wouldn't worry much about (most schools are free in EU after all, and kids bikes are pennies really :lol: ) but as guys above said - just be there, and you'll appreciate every single moment :thumbup:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

tymon_tm wrote:as for a parent's perspective on things, it changes a lot when the first one comes out. you suddenly start to worry - about yourself, the consequences of your actions. for instance - you probably won't ride without your helmet ever again, start picking 'safer' roads to ride, think twice before breaking speed limits in your car (at least that's how it was in my case) etc:
Yes, I remember this racer in Northern California who back in the early/mid '80s used to ride along mountain ridge descents with both hands behind his back in his attempt to maximize aero. Then he had a kid. That changed him. From then on, he considered it to be too reckless to ride with both hands behind his back, and he would ride with only one hand behind his back, and the other on the bar near the middle.

KB

by KB

Congrats Frankie. They can be very trying and frustrating sometimes, but the love you feel for them cannot be bettered. My son's 26 now, but he's still our baby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com