Any experiences with airport ninja bike case

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Just wondering if anyone has had experiences with the Orucase airport ninja. How were your experiences with getting it as checked luggage fee.

Thanks

OJ

by OJ

Nope, but I was kind of shopping for something similar and ran into Trash Messenger Bags Space Junk bag. I didn't end up buying anything, but started making one myself based on Space Junk design of corrugated plastic with a cordura bag. I was planning on testing this on my trip to Maui, but may be going with loaner bag. Making one myself is cheaper than buying one, but getting the bag made by pro upholsterer is still fair bit of money.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

chazmtb wrote:Just wondering if anyone has had experiences with the Orucase airport ninja. How were your experiences with getting it as checked luggage fee.

Thanks

I've flown successfully with my ninja 10+ times. I've never been charged but I've been damn close. It's never going to be measured the issue will be an employee knowing that's a bike case. So tips don't fly airlines that will charge you $150 for a bike they are motivated to catch you. Also don't dress like a cyclist. Have a plausible explanation for what's in the bag and make sure it's not bulging. In general I've only had problems around San Fran since they've seen so many bikes. Also do curbside whenever possible.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

DaReef

by DaReef

Flown over 20 flights with the Ninja case. I've only had one agent measure the bag and charge an oversized fee of $75 (Southwest).

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I've flown with with another brand soft case that was a bit larger case, the Pika. http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bike-bags/5-bike-cases-that-evade-the-airline-bike-fee

A few things to consider:
1) No bike case is small unless you have a brake apart frame. Then they're no smaller than the wheels. This means you can still be hit with oversize fees.
2) You still have to consider the rental car factor on the other end as you have a dimension-ally large bag that may not bend enough to get into the back seat of a car. You may have to unpack in the rental car lot. Pro tip, the back seat in may cars is bigger than the trunk.
3) Weight - I travel with a 58cm CX bike with gravel tires. The bag is 12+lb, my bike fully dressed is 22ish lb, tools (?? lb), you'll want to toss your helmet shoes in there (??lb), tire inflation, padding, and some bottles & food. You can hit the 50lb overweight limit quick.
4) Time to assemble/break down. If this is a work trip, this is a factor. You'll need an hour+ on each end to deal with this. You finish your work, assemble, and try to get a ride in is tough.
5) Don't worry about the softness. Your bike came in a flimsy box when it was new. As did your wheels. The weaker, less square baggage gets put on top of the pike. The square rigid stuff, the bottom.

Airport tips:
1) Decorate your bag with non-sports looking stickers - musical equipment or industrial vendors.
1) US airport - most airports have non-airline employees behind the counter putting luggage on the checkin line. Print a std baggage label on the machine, hand to the laziest, larger male employee you see. A smaller employee will likely punt to another employee and cause a scene.
2) International airports are a lot more strict. They'll ask you over and over if it's a bicycle and I'd argue in this form it is not. Repeat it with me, "it is an engineering sample" or a "test rig" or a "tradeshow demo unit". Answer deadpan and get increasing more annoyed.

If anyone is in Chicago, I have a loaner. PM me.

OJ

by OJ

Back in the day I squeezed my bike and gear for 2-3 weeks in under 25 kg and 2 pieces of checked luggage. Carry on was mainly for my helmet.

My DIY bag is at upholsterer and should come in around C$250 once finished (+ my time to cut and bend the corrugated plastic into shape). I can share my experience after my trip to Maui in March and can share tips on how to get one made.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigjo

by bigjo

OJ I can't wait to hear your tips how to build the bake case. I've heard that Oracuse is not a good bag.ImageImageImage
To want to, is to be able to.
digitalgrafiskdesign

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com