Best places to ride in August...?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Alright,

I am up for riding somewhere new this August, so was wondering if any of you have any good ideas for places to ride?

I can travel anywhere in the world, and currently live in Japan.

I am looking for the following;

-Mountains, connected to modern civilisation.
-Decent temperature
-Somewhere that doesn't get hit with a load of rain in August
-At least a bit of a riding scene there, so I can hook up with local clubs / check out extensive rides on Strava in the area.
-Road riding.
-Somewhere I am not going to have to take a bullet proof vest / join ISIS to traverse.

Bit vague, but thought I would ask.

Cheers.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

August is a great month for Alaska. Also cycling in Norway has become popular as a destination an August is a good month for that as well.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Western North Carolina !

mattr

by mattr

Northern Europe. Belgium, Netherlands, Northern/western France and across to Switzerland. Anywhere round there will be nice during the day, high teens through to low 30s, most likely some rain, but not monsoon conditions, more clubs than you've ever seen, and more riders as well i'd guess. And some fantastic places to ride. Further west you go, the less hilly but into cobbled classics country, head east and you'll hit the northern Alps/Alps. Wouldn't go much further south/central France or it could get *really* hot. You might even get silly hot without going south, but until the summer is actually happening, i've got no idea how hot it'll actually get.

Scandinavia would be good, but not a huge amount of roads, or people, or cyclists outside of the cities. Relatively.
Stunning scenery though.

crux

by crux

+1 for Switzerland, Austria and Northern Italy

mr4fox

by mr4fox

I live in Norway and agree there is some great riding here. The weather on the west coast where there is a lot of great riding can be very hit and miss through. If you were interested in renting a car and driving from place to place it could be great. Otherwise I'd prefer France or somewhere further south where the weather is more stable.
I've ridden I. The French alps in august before. Was great but it was a tad warm for me. I'm not used to the heat anymore. I'm sweating like a pig at 25C and shrivel up at 30 now (I'm Aussie). But if you are the type to get up early you can often beat much of the heat...I'd recommend staying somewhere with air conditioning though....or up high in the mountains.

I'll be riding as much as I can around ålesund area if you venture this far. Have to work too though but feel free to cantact me for info if you're considering norway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Me and a couple of friends were over in Bormio last September and it was spectacular. We were only there for a few days but did both sides of the Stelvio, the Mortirolo and the Gavia as well as some smaller climbs(the road to Lago di Cancano was probably my favorite of the whole trip). You'd want to hire a car and drive, but that would make it pretty easy to have another stop somewhere else, Andermatt is very high on my list of places to visit. You're really spoiled for choice in the Alps.
Last edited by campbellrae on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

havana

by havana

The Alpes would be a great destination. There are a couple of hotspots which enable you climb a lot of "big names" from the same base.

- Bourg d'Oisans (France) : Alpe d'Huez, Col de Croix de Fer/Glandon, Col de Galibier, Lauraret, Télegraphe, Col du Sabot, Col d'Ornon, etc.
- Barcelonnette. Col d'Izoard, Col de Vars, Col de Cayol, Col de Bonette.
- Andermatt: Furkapass, Gotthard, Grimsel, Nufenen, Lukamanier, Sustenpas
- La Villa/Corvara: Sella Round (Passo Sella, Gardena, Pordoi, Campalongo), Fedaia, Giau, Passo delle Erbe, Falzarego, Valporola
- Bormio (Italy): Stelvio, Mortirolo, Gavia

The Pyrenees would be another good option but the weather is a little less stable.

Switserland is great to bike but please note this is very expensive. A simple meat would be somewhere around the 30€ mark.

I wouldn't recommend my own country (the Netherlands): no mountains and the weather can be very variable.

I wouldn't recommend Belgium since the roads are horrible (3rd world quality sometimes). In the Ardennes the weather is also very variable.

Bedoin, at the foot of the Ventoux could also be a good option. You'll most certainly have good weather but it's going to be very hot in August.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

mattr

by mattr

havana wrote:I wouldn't recommend Belgium since the roads are horrible (3rd world quality sometimes).
The belgian classics would be a bit dull if it was all mirror smooth tarmac!

Antoine

by Antoine

UK ? No big moutains but some places like Devon and Yorkshire look great.

Likely too hot and crowded (july and august = summer vacations) in France and neighbouring countries.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I am from the UK, so would like to go to a country I haven't ridden in before.

Heat; I am used to riding in Japanese summers now, and that gets ridiculous, so anything up to 35c is doable really. Appreciate the thoughts on that though, for sure.

Been Google Street Viewing the French Alps and that looks absolutely immense.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

havana wrote:The Alpes would be a great destination. There are a couple of hotspots which enable you climb a lot of "big names" from the same base.

- Bourg d'Oisans (France) : Alpe d'Huez, Col de Croix de Fer/Glandon, Col de Galibier, Lauraret, Télegraphe, Col du Sabot, Col d'Ornon, etc.
- Barcelonnette. Col d'Izoard, Col de Vars, Col de Cayol, Col de Bonette.
- Andermatt: Furkapass, Gotthard, Grimsel, Nufenen, Lukamanier, Sustenpas
- La Villa/Corvara: Sella Round (Passo Sella, Gardena, Pordoi, Campalongo), Fedaia, Giau, Passo delle Erbe, Falzarego, Valporola
- Bormio (Italy): Stelvio, Mortirolo, Gavia

The Pyrenees would be another good option but the weather is a little less stable.

Switserland is great to bike but please note this is very expensive. A simple meat would be somewhere around the 30€ mark.

I wouldn't recommend my own country (the Netherlands): no mountains and the weather can be very variable.

I wouldn't recommend Belgium since the roads are horrible (3rd world quality sometimes). In the Ardennes the weather is also very variable.

Bedoin, at the foot of the Ventoux could also be a good option. You'll most certainly have good weather but it's going to be very hot in August.

I rode Ventoux last June. Very tough climb. Great challenge, not the most scenic Provence is nice and you can take an excursion to visit some famous Rhone wineries or do an easy ride to them. Problem is those mistral winds so its quite possible you arrive to ride and can't really ride it. I'm not that familiar with the other routes in the area. Ventoux pretty much dominates. Many come for just a few days and climb it from different directions.

I'll be doing the French Alps in June. It was on my list of bucket rides.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Rondje

by Rondje

Something that hasn't been listed yet:
Northern Spain, Basque country and Asturias. I've been there in may, so I'm not sure how the weather is in August, but it's a stunning region with plenty of other cyclists. Motorists also seemed to respect cyclists and give you the space you need. No big named climbs apart from Lagos de Covadogna and Angliru. Or the Jaikzibel with a beautiful city and great food in San Sebastian.

basilic

by basilic

havana gives good advice.
In August all of Italy is on vacation so finding accommodation is more difficult, and the Sella Ronda might be a giant traffic jam of campers and motorbikes. Early September would be much better if you are flexible about the dates. Absolutely wonderful riding though.
If it's very hot consider the upper Engadin valley (eg Celerina/Samedan/Zuoz), at 1700-1800m. You'll have access to passes Julier, Spluga, Maloja, Albula, Bernina, Fluela, Fuorn (all above 2000m), and Tirano, Bormio and Prato dello Stelvio are just across the border.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com