Maui, Riding Vacation

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

OJ

by OJ

OK, so pretty standard safety wise.

I will do the West Maui Loop for sure at least once, but I am hoping to do the East Maui as well. I run 25 mm tires so basically a fat bike :mrgreen:
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

East Maui Loop would be a great ride on something like a Specialized Diverge with 30mm tires. If I lived in Haiku or Kula I'd get a bike like that just to do that ride once a month.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Hey guys. Thanks for the great info. I'm going first week of November for a week. Want to do the Haleakala challenge. I live in Florida so there is virtually no hills. I try to get som elevation in with the rollers we have here in Clermont.

Anyway what's the best way to get a bike over. I have a scion case. Does bike flights have shipping to Maui. Have to check. Really don't want to spend 150-200 each way for a bike shipping with the airlines.

airpoppoff

by airpoppoff

chazmtb wrote:Hey guys. Thanks for the great info. I'm going first week of November for a week. Want to do the Haleakala challenge. I live in Florida so there is virtually no hills. I try to get som elevation in with the rollers we have here in Clermont.

Anyway what's the best way to get a bike over. I have a scion case. Does bike flights have shipping to Maui. Have to check. Really don't want to spend 150-200 each way for a bike shipping with the airlines.

Depends on your airline but its typically $100-$150. Shipping it is not any cheaper, usually from Seattle its $250ea way.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

chazmtb wrote:Hey guys. Thanks for the great info. I'm going first week of November for a week. Want to do the Haleakala challenge. I live in Florida so there is virtually no hills. I try to get som elevation in with the rollers we have here in Clermont.

If you're only gonna ride a day or two it's much cheaper to rent. West Maui Cycles has S-Works Tarmacs with DA9100 for like $100 a day or Roubaix Comps for like $60.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Thanks for the heads up. I'm contemplating this right now. For bike flights it's 210 each way. Airlines will probably be 150 each way. The sworks would be good. But man, I would love to bring my personal bike as I try to get it under 6kg.

boysa

by boysa

When you say "Haleakala Challenge" I suppose you mean just riding to the top? There is a race, but it's in June and it's called Cycle to the Sun. (FWIW, the race is a great time and Donnie & Co. really do it right.)

As for riding up to the top, it truthfully isn't difficult. If you are in cycling shape, it shouldn't be a problem. Rent a bike, keep the $$ out of the grubby airlines' hands, and spend your saved cash on... well, whatever you like to spend your cash on! But for only a few days of riding, I wouldn't fork over that kind of dough. And I say this as someone who does it several times a year, albeit for races.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

chazmtb

by chazmtb

I'm planning to rent the cheap tarmac if I have to ride around the island before I get the sworks for the assault on Haleakala. Hope the weather cooperates. Looking forward to it as it is 10 months away.

OJ

by OJ

$150 each way you say? I'm flying Air Canada and they will charge me C$50 on the way down, but I think I would have to pay for the bike separately for the return flight in Hawaii and they might want to charge that US$150. I need to look into this bit more. Hauling my own bike there is still less money than renting one for 13 days.

My trip is only 7 weeks away...
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boots2000

by boots2000

I just went to Maui for 2 weeks- I echo pretty much everything that has been said.

But...
There are better climbing rides than Haleakala. I would say that you climb Haleakala just to say you did (and maybe for the view at the top).
Pulehu road is better- connects to some other roads at the top by old Haleakala Highway.
Waipoli rad is better- though it is steep.

Another thing worth mentioning is tires and gear.
The shoulder are wide and in god repair, but there is some gravel and whatnot.
I think it is best to have a robust tire like a Conti 4 seasons or similar as opposed to something light. Flats can ruin a trip.
You also want to bring adequate repair gear and a decent sized seatbag. 2 tubes, patch kit, duct tape tire lever, mini tool, regulator for CO2 cartridges. Do not bring CO2 cartridges but get them in Maui- TSA will confiscate these and it might be reason to toss your bike bag like a search in a prison cell ;)
Lastly, bring drink mix- bars too if you are at all picky. Bike food can be random on the island. Good to have your own drink mix and also packets of drink mix in order to fill bottles along the way.

boots2000

by boots2000

Wheels- it is a good idea to ride wheels that are reliable more than crazy light stuff. Break a spoke or whatever on the island with something esoteric and you might be out of luck.
Though I did see a Pinarello F8 with EPS, lightweight wheels and Campy SRM in the stand at Maui Cyclery ;)

boysa

by boysa

There is so much broken glass on the roads, I often wonder if it grows there. At least on Oahu.

+1 on the need for a robust tire. Leave your silks at home.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

chazmtb

by chazmtb

For Haleakala, do would you suggest aluminum wheels. How crazy are the decends and what were your speeds. I drove the roads 10 years back but could not remember if there are any hair raising corners.

boots2000

by boots2000

I would use aluminum.
More for the descent than the climb. Also, for general knocking around on the island.
Does not pay to ride esoteric or foo foo stuff.

chazmtb wrote:For Haleakala, do would you suggest aluminum wheels. How crazy are the decends and what were your speeds. I drove the roads 10 years back but could not remember if there are any hair raising corners.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chazmtb

by chazmtb

OK good to know. I may just rent. Seems like shipping or luggage will not be a worthwhile proposition, unless I get an armored hen house by my trip.