Maui, Riding Vacation

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Thanks for the info. Been searching Strava but not really any success in getting a he correct route.

boots2000

by boots2000

Take the road by the old sugar plant Hansen?
Then take a right at the road for the dump- Pulehu?

boots2000 wrote:Highway to the bike path at north side of Kihei, then bike path- the you can get up Haleakala a couple ways,
My favorite is doing the Pulehu Rd climb 1st-

chazmtb wrote:I'll be staying in Wailea. There is no real straight shot up to Haleakala is there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Yup.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

I see there is a "because it's there"segment cutting from Wailea to Kula hwy. pretty steep climbs at the onset. Anyone tried that.

boots2000

by boots2000

Maybe an old sugar cane road (on private property)- not a paved climb.
In my experience these things don't go through.
There is one off the bike path that looks like it is a back way over to Haleakala Highway- It runs into a cement company. On both sides.

chazmtb wrote:I see there is a "because it's there"segment cutting from Wailea to Kula hwy. pretty steep climbs at the onset. Anyone tried that.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

You must be talking about the private dirt road. If you're sitting at a left window on the plane you get a good view of it on the way in. I hear it's pretty loose so better on a MTB than a cross or gravel bike. It's not like there's a house in there to disturb but you may run into an angry employee of the land owning company. I get the impression that name is fitting. It's there so people try it but it sucks so they don't do it again. Hot, dusty, not do-able on a bike that makes finishing a loop on pavement fun.

OJ

by OJ

I may have ventured into there a little. You have to hop a sizable fence and at that point you give up any excuse of "I didn't know I was trespassing". There are truck tire tracks on the dirt and I would say that a CX bike should clear it. It will be steep at least in places, so you would need easy gearing. After driving the east loop, I would prefer a gravel or cross bike for the loop as the backside would be pretty miserable on a road bike.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OJ

by OJ

Time to dig out an old thread.

I'm heading back to Maui in February, this time just me an Mrs. and she will bring her bike too. Staying in south Kihei again and planning to ride bikes and beach bum the 10 days we are on the island. She is doing winter training this winter for the first time ever as she wants to ride up Haleakala. Anyway, I have most of my training routes still fresh in my memory, but has there been any major changes to the roads? Is Oprah's road still closed? If I was to ride the east Maui loop, would it work better doing it clockwise or counter clockwise assuming 6:30 AM start from Kihei?

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

The only change to the roads is the bypass in Lahaina. Stay along the ocean. I've never known anyone to ride East Maui counter clockwise. When I want to ride that direction I do an out and back from Kula to the end of the pavement. At that time of day doing it clockwise you'll be going with traffic.

OJ

by OJ

Looks like I didn't hit submit on my previous reply.

Thanks, didn't think there was many changes, but thanks for confirming.

I was just thinking of immoderate rides I could do on Maui, maybe East Maui loop could be it as it would be 213 km and well over 3000m door-to-door. Speaking of immoderate, I was also looking at flights to Big Island and try to ride Mauna Kea. Might be little too immoderate on this trip, but maybe next Hawaii trip will be to Big Island. I've heard "good" and good stuff about riding on Big Island and riding up Mauna Kea, but I think I need to check it out myself.