PHIT Act: US weightweenies please contact your representative

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

WannabeWeenie

by WannabeWeenie

So there is apparently a bill pending in congress that will allow us to use pre-tax money to buy our bike parts. Go here:

http://www.phitamerica.org/Leglislation/PHIT_Act.htm

Mep

by Mep

I hope Trump is into road biking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I dont live in the US, but do dentists / lawyers need tax breaks to buy Parlees and Serottas?

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

no they do not, but the rest of us plebeians sure would benefit from it.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

No, not really. We all need to pay our fair share of taxes and stop with another loop hole.

Flat tax and get rid of all the other garbage.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

LOL, Team Me! p/b PHIT

But yea, the Internal Revenue Code is nothing but loopholes.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm guessing this has an icicle's chance in hell of passing given the incoming administration.

The GOP doesn't give a shit about anything other than what their corporate donors want.

I'll continue buying bike parts on my GI Bill stipend and $9.50/hr part time job paychecks. If I write my Rep or Senator, it will be about something that matters, like healthcare, civil rights or the environment. Or something as simple as REAL bicycle safety laws, and REAL punishments for drivers that kill cyclists.

bungis

by bungis

LeDuke wrote:I'm guessing this has an icicle's chance in hell of passing given the incoming administration.

The GOP doesn't give a shit about anything other than what their corporate donors want.

I'll continue buying bike parts on my GI Bill stipend and $9.50/hr part time job paychecks. If I write my Rep or Senator, it will be about something that matters, like healthcare, civil rights or the environment. Or something as simple as REAL bicycle safety laws, and REAL punishments for drivers that kill cyclists.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Self-driving car legislation and adoption are the low hanging fruit for cyclists (and pedestrians).

A computer doesn't get enraged by a cyclist ahead of it delaying their journey a few seconds. Computers don't put on makeup while driving. Computers won't spite you by buzzing less than a half meter when passing.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

bungis wrote:
LeDuke wrote:I'm guessing this has an icicle's chance in hell of passing given the incoming administration.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Self-driving car legislation and adoption are the low hanging fruit for cyclists (and pedestrians).

A computer doesn't get enraged by a cyclist ahead of it delaying their journey a few seconds. Computers don't put on makeup while driving. Computers won't spite you by buzzing less than a half meter when passing.

I doubt that will happen in our lifetime. Living in the south (western Virginia IS the south, believe me), there are a LOT of people with a very deep suspicion of technology, regulations, and the federal government. These people will do everything they can keep their 15mpg F-250s (with tax exempt plates, of course).

These people are also enraged by the sight of a cyclist in lycra riding his/her bike. I've been harassed and threatened multiple times on the road, and as I'm a MTB racer, that means I ride on the road maybe once a week. I can't even imagine riding road full time around here.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Meanwhile, stuff like this is happening:

http://www.velonews.com/2017/01/news/dr ... ads_428641

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

And a self driving car goes exactly the speed limit causing drivers to swerve around them. I could not imagine anyone driving the speed limit on the freeways of California.

Rick

by Rick

While I happen to be in the demographic that this tax break would be pandering to (cyclists) so that it seems like a "good idea", I think the bigger idea is to stop carving out little niche loopholes and pandering to specific demographics.
Most people are going to buy cheap bicycles, so I can't see it as significantly helping any "poor" people, and most people buying high end bikes don't need a tax break.

Let's focus on some bigger, meaningful things.
We could talk about those, but here is not the place. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com