Vittoria Qurano - SwicthIT Freewheel Body Installation Question

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

carbontulip

by carbontulip

Hi Guys,

So I have a new set of Vittoria Qurano Graphene wheels, which came with Shimano/SRAM Freewheel Body. I use Campy all-around and therefore bought a SwicthIT Vittoria Campy 11-speed Freewheel Body.

Life was good until I opened accessories' bag and started reading the instructions which, apart from confusingly bad translation are geared towards covering everything under the sun. The Freewheel Bodies on Vittoria wheels come with a thing aluminum spacer that comes in a separate bag and according to the instructions is supposed to be placed on the axle before adding the Freewheel Body and a locking nut. My confusion come from the fact that:

1. the spacer is a bit loose when placed on the axle (albeit things seem to fit fine, when assembled)
2. some online shops say the ring is for 10-speed Freewheel Bodies only
3. the instructions say (in bold) that the wheels should NEVER be used without that spacer
4. out of the box, the SRAM SwicthIT body came pre-assembled without the spacer (why?..)
5. any videos on SwicthIT bodies' assembly (when paused), do not seem to features the said spacer on those axles
6. Vittoria has zero technical info on its wheels. All there is is a FAQ on 'what is PSI' :)
7. I did write to Vittoria Tech Support but it looks like Italy is on winter vacation

If anyone can shed some light on this - it would be hugely appreciated!

Happy New Year, All!

wingguy

by wingguy

Sounds like the instructions you're reading are for a completely different system.

The Switchit hub is tool free, there is no locking nut. It just pulls off and pushes back on again. And however it's set up when you pull off the existing freehub, that's how it's supposed to be. So... no locking nut, no spacer, wrong instructions :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carbontulip

by carbontulip

wingguy wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:35 pm
Sounds like the instructions you're reading are for a completely different system.

The Switchit hub is tool free, there is no locking nut. It just pulls off and pushes back on again. And however it's set up when you pull off the existing freehub, that's how it's supposed to be. So... no locking nut, no spacer, wrong instructions :wink:

I wish that was true... The instructions are original set of instructions that came in a special pouch with a tools, stickers, etc. So they are absolutely for these wheels. I am also an engineer by trade, so reading instruction is not an issue :)

One idea I have is that some wheel manufacturers use a similar aluminum spacer but ONLY for the 10-speed bodies which 11-speed one s do not require the spacer - that's the only thing I can think about after watching some Youtube videos.

Still looking for ideas...

wingguy

by wingguy

carbontulip wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:56 pm
I wish that was true... The instructions are original set of instructions that came in a special pouch with a tools, stickers, etc. So they are absolutely for these wheels. I am also an engineer by trade, so reading instruction is not an issue :)
So post a picture of the manual. Again, there is no locking nut on a SwitchIt freehub (that's kinda the definition of being tool free) so if you haven't read something wrong, you've said something wrong.

carbontulip

by carbontulip

OK.. so apart from the semantics - me calling 'tapered endcap' a 'locking nut', which I fully admit and recognize, the issue of a mysterious spacer remains... Also, notice none of the 'great' quality b/w pictures feature said spacer (I did look closely)

The only problem I have with this spacer is that the fit on the axle is quite loose and has a gap - see picture with the spacer fitted onto the axle.

carbontulip

by carbontulip

Answering my own question.

Got a hold of Vittoria USA super-helpful support and they said the following:

1. Vittoria Campagnolo 11-speed FW body slides right without any additional spacers, washers or rings
2. Nothing goes on the axle itself but FW body and 'tapered endcap'
3. The thin aluminum spacer/ring/washer in pix above is for Shimano 105, slides onto the FW body, acts as a spacer and by default included in the accessories kit. Oddly enough not a single word about this ring is in the manual.
4. Italian manual translation is an afterthought - 'the spacer' in the first NOTICE in the pic above is in fact another name for the 'tapered endcap'. The 'thin silver spacer' is already on the axle and is NOT a silver ring that is inside the package.

All I have to say is "WTF?.."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com