Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:18 pm 

Does anyone in this forum use Oakley Radar with Prescription lens?
I remember seeing a picture of Frank Shleck using them, but wouldnt mind seeing any other.

Are them worth?
As Im perhaps coming to US for a holiday I was considering getting a pair of lens, but online I couldnt find any rate on the price range.
Any suggestion on where to look would be appreciated, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:51 pm 

Is there any specific (medical) reason why you wouldn't use contact lens + normal sunglasses? I have been using this combination for quite some time and has been happy ever since. Investing money in special lenses is not a cost-effective solution. You will be faced with all the negative aspects of wear and tear but at double/triple the price. Also, when you take them off you will have to put regular glasses on, which is a sort of uncomfortable. IMHO.

Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:51 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:43 pm 

I use radars with the prescription inserts. Have no complaints about performance, they're durable, and the hydrophobic lens treatment really seems to work. Only complaint is with the looks, the prescription lenses are stuck on and make you look a bit bug-eyed, looks a bit less odd if the lens is really dark. Really you'll only know if you mind the looks by putting a pair on...

Still if you can get a decent price I think the radars are the best option for prescription sunglasses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:25 pm 

@rarekin; right now Im using nothing, so it's not like Im totally blind and would need to wear normal glasses as soon as I take off sunglasses with prescription lens.
I started using contact lens just few months ago and still in the "testing mode".
Im just considering an alternative, as simple as that.
Anyway thanks for reporting your personal experience. :thumbup:

@rudder; I didnt consider the "bug-eyed look".
Thanks for your report as well. :D

If there's any US user, I would appreciate an estimate price. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:15 pm 

I use Rx sunglasses every day. I live in Utah so think high-altitude, blinding sun, and blinding sun reflecting off snow a good bit of the year. I used to wear contacts all the time and that worked OK, but they aren't comfortable for desk job/computer stuff anymore so I don't wear them much anymore. I have Rx glasses mostly for driving/commuting but it's easier to use them on rides than putting in contacts.

I had some Oakley Half Jackets and they were great. After 4 years of daily use and hundreds of sweaty bike rides they were starting to show some wear. I lost 'em and replaced them with some Rudy Projects, which are also great. I liked the Oakely's better because they were rimless on the sides which made for better vision when taking a quick look to the rear on the bike. I like the adjustable nose piece on the Rudy Projects, though, makes it easier to perch the lenses up high so you look through them when in the drops.

There's no bug-eyed look with either of them. You need to look pretty damn close to tell they aren't regular sunglasses. You can't tell on the Rudys, other than looking through them. On the Oakleys, you could see one lens was a bit thicker if you looked at it from the side. I have fairly mild myopia, fwiw.

Price? Are you sitting down? Expect to pay $400ish (frame + lenses). I went through a local specialty shop who works with my optician. I'm sure you could reduce that somewhat. I made a conscious choice to support the local specialty guy. If you already have the frames, then lenses alone are $250-300ish.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:37 am 

I have M-frames with a prescription lens. I don't understand why I don't see more people using them as they're really good IMO.

I have mild short sightedness, so I can see enough to ride my bike, but not enough for example to consistently read motorway signs at a distance. I tried contacts but even disposable ones were a hassle to put in, then would go blurry after blinking, irritate my eye, sting if anything gets in the eye, fall out when you wipe your face... Basically a PITA and not a good idea if you like going downhill at 50+mph

I went to Eyetch opticians in Somerset, who can order them. They tested my eyes and ordered the glasses. Yes they were expensive, but they have lasted 4 years so far with no issues and almost daily wear, so good value. And no more than a designer daily wear pair of glasses. You can also get them mail order from the US for less money but I didn't take that route.

The lenses are standard M-frame lenses with a hole in. The prescription lens then fits into the hole, just like an ordinary glasses lens fits into a frame. The lenses are not glued onto the surface of a standard lens. On my pair both are grey so the lenses are not noticed by most people. They are robust enough that if you don't drop them, put in a pocket with keys etc. and scratch them badly they should last for a long time.

The Oakleys are a big improvement, sufficient that I am tempted to buy a yellow or clear lens for winter and night riding. The only downside is that you need to keep them clean to see, so on a long ride I might take them off once or twice and give them a quick wipe. Also in the rain I sometimes take them off as it's too wet to see. That might not work if you have a stronger prescription, but for me they're great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:38 am 

Unlike the m-frames or flak jackets the radars do have the prescription lenses glued on to the regular lens. Doesn't bother me but the shop I bought them from has had a bunch of unhappy customers who didn't like the looks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:13 am 

I use Oakley Flak Jacket prescription sun glasses. They have progressive lenses (strong astigmatism), photochromatic and have the hydrophobic coatings. The peripheral vision is fantastic because the entire lense is Rx, not just an insert. Particularly for changing light conditions, the photochromatic feature is great to have. The tint changes very quickly. Contact lenses were not an alternative for me since I have not been able to find good bifocal c lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:18 am 

Rudy Rydon's with prescription lenses made by Sports Optical in Denver. (Bret's a cyclist himself.) You've seen them on Rabobank: nice lens, good coverage, terrific peripheral vision, and very comfortable. (They also have a hydrophobic coating.)

I have two pair: Laser blue for sunny days and Transitions/Racing Red for cloudy/variable days.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:27 am 

As mentioned, there is the Rudy Project. Rx lens available for the Rydons. And clip-ons available for the latest Exowinds and Noyz. No information has been released on the Genetiks which are being worn by some of the riders at this year's Tour.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:04 pm 

hi guys im in the process of getting prep oakleys could you post some picture of what they look like, i seem to remember them looking a little bottle bottom looking :lol:

cheers
Pete

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:41 am 

lite pete wrote:
hi guys im in the process of getting prep oakleys could you post some picture of what they look like, i seem to remember them looking a little bottle bottom looking

They kind of do. They input prescription lens in the center of the "shield" non-prescription lens. The coverage area is, therefore, more like a standard insert that clips behind the lens. What you get is the regular lens with two distinctive (to the naked eye) inserts.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:47 am 

I do have a pair of Oakley Jawbones which is very good & don't need inserts. I have used inserts before addidas which are OK too but the Oakleys are more lighter, more comfortable, & don't steam up as much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:58 am 

Old thread, but I'll chime in. I have Oakley's in RX from Salt City Optics (https://www.saltcityoptics.com/) They have done Half-Jackets for me that I use in baseball, and they're perfect -- I think the color is rose iridium or something.

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:58 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:40 pm 

Totally depends on your prescription power as to what the Radars look like once the inserts are bonded in. Flak, Racing Jacket and Crossrange (AFAIK) are the best options if you want Rx.