Reliable Heart Rate Monitor

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

morganb

by morganb

My Garmin monitor seems to inconsistently pair with every computer that I've had despite them all being Garmins, and is slow to respond and sometimes gives wonky readings. When I was working in a shop I have seen this problem with a number of them. Is there a more reliable option that does ANT+?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

morganb wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:20 pm
My Garmin monitor seems to inconsistently pair with every computer that I've had despite them all being Garmins, and is slow to respond and sometimes gives wonky readings. When I was working in a shop I have seen this problem with a number of them. Is there a more reliable option that does ANT+?
I had the same issues and got a Wahoo Tickr. Does both ant+ and Bluetooth. Has been very reliable so far.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

And again - same problems so also went for a Tickr and it has been very consistent and reliable in terms of connection and readings. Plus those little screws on the Garmin one are a right PITA when changing the battery. The only problem I had with the Tickr was the poppers on the strap weren't that secure, and no matter how carefully I adjusted the tension it would often come undone during a ride. I swapped it for a Polar strap and all is good.

savechief

by savechief

Another happy Wahoo Tickr user

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

AJS914

by AJS914

I have a Garmin 510 and a Garmin heart rate strap. While the 510 has been buggy at times (usually with syncing) the Garmin HR strap has been rock solid. It always connects and I haven't had to change the battery in over 2 years.

TonyM

by TonyM

My Garmin HR works perfectly.
As well as my Wahoo Tickr.

Conza

by Conza

Garmin only; until a certain rep advised Wahoo had far less issues.

Went that way and has been fiiiine. Then got Wahoo kickr etc, and works a treat pairing with those.
It's all about the adventure :o .

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

4iiii

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

we've got 4 garmins (two current versions, two older ones) they all work flawlessly until the battery goes.

Well, i think they do, the two older ones i've not seen for a few years :oops:

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Another Wahoo Tickr user here. Just got tired of the Garmin. straps going bad. The Tickr does play nice with my Garmin Edge 520.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Id have gone the Tickr but wanted the ant+ brigde

Using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Nefarious86 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:14 pm
Id have gone the Tickr but wanted the ant+ brigde

I have a Viiiiva as well, but I found that I go through batteries very quickly. I ran a bit of copper wire between the snaps and have relegated it to ANT+ BT bridge only duties. I've found ANT+ to the Viiiva and then BT to my iOS device to be a more reliable way to get power/cadence to Zwift than going directly through BT. I've had BT cut out and Zwift on iOS doesn't seem to play nice with my dual-sided meter. I do use a TICKR for HRM duties and found that it's very stable and reliable so far.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

maquisard

by maquisard

Another happy Tickr user...

Question to the masses... I lose my HRM all the time, usually I come home tired after a session riding or running and throw it somewhere. Would love someone to make a HRM that you could send a signal too from a smartphone to make it beep so it can be easily located. I have a Bluetooth keytag like this and it is very helpful. Anyone else think that would make a good product?

mattr

by mattr

Why not just have a shelf for stuff like that?
All our bike electronics sit on one shelf. Lights on the shelf below. Basic tools on the third.

by Weenie

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

maquisard wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:02 pm
Another happy Tickr user...

Question to the masses... I lose my HRM all the time, usually I come home tired after a session riding or running and throw it somewhere. Would love someone to make a HRM that you could send a signal too from a smartphone to make it beep so it can be easily located. I have a Bluetooth keytag like this and it is very helpful. Anyone else think that would make a good product?
Could always tag a BT tag to your strap. Maybe in the back where it won't be quite as annoying. As for the HRM computer, I generally keep one side clipped to the strap when I'm not using it.

I think you got a good idea, I just don't know if it's a big enough of an issue for the mfgs to put dev into doing it.