2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

no comments ..........Image

in watt mode
πατα τραβα ρε

MRM

by MRM

boysa wrote:If everyone in your company left work early every day, and one day the boss catches you and sends you packing, would you feel you did something wrong? If everyone you knew cheated on their taxes, and you were the only one to get caught and forced to pay fines, would you feel guilty? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just bringing up a serious point. I used to feel the same way about those who didn't show remorse, but now I see it a bit differently.

These days I have no stomach for the other ones, the ones who ONLY show remorse after they get caught (and write a book about it). Those are the ones who are full of s**t.

I don't necessarily agree, because right and wrong does also exist outside of grey zones, but this is a very valid point!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

It seems the challenge people have for Valverde is with the class of his character and not his class as a rider (which speaks for itself). I've historically been ambivalent towards him, but his interview immediately following LBL - if that's not first class as a human, I don't know what is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoHOVy_xEAQ

boysa

by boysa

MRM wrote:I don't necessarily agree, because right and wrong does also exist outside of grey zones, but this is a very valid point!

In no way am I saying any of these examples... or doping, as the core issue at hand... are not WRONG. They certainly are. I'm merely saying I think I can understand why some of these guys (Valverde, Lance, Vino) show no remorse. I believe these guys are the only ones being honest. Tyler Hamilton, Floyd, Millar... are they REALLY sorry? I don't think so. I think they got caught, and saw dollar signs attached to showing remorse and regret. Funny how none of them were ever sorry until after they were caught red-handed.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

seaneT1

by seaneT1

Rondje wrote:Pfff, Offredo attacked with a baseball bat and some sort of knife on training...
https://www.facebook.com/yoann.offredo/ ... 5975883680

Any more details on that? what is happening there???

Wingnut

by Wingnut

In the CyclingNews comments:

"M DS • 11 hours ago

So, it seems that one of the guys Offredo was training with is a journalist and a former pro -Guillaume Judas (formerly of the Jean Floch team). The thing actually took place near Paris -so much for my unkind words about Provence's motorists. Judas posted this on a French forum: "I'm OK and so is the other guy. Yoann isn't. We're shocked, we were going through some place where the speed limit is 30 kph and still we nearly got run over by some speeding car. Tempers flared, the guy stopped his car right in front of us and then he got out with a cutter and a baseball bat just to show us who's in charge, I guess. Still, what pissed me the most is that afterwards a couple of so-called 'witnesses' told the gendarmes that, basically, we were just asking for it..."

Admittedly they weren't."

Antoine

by Antoine

I don't find anymore details, I guess it happened somehere in Essone, at least 30 kms south of Paris where Offredo lives.
The problem is more having an altercation with the wrong guys and the lack of justice and punishment in France nowadays , it would have been the same if they were driving or walking.
The witnesses don't want troubles knowing they could be retaliation later and the police won't do anyting for them.
All those guys have had a bad childhood and/or some psychiatric problems, so the judges knows it's not their fault and give the minimum sentence (prisons are full anyway).

The real danger is what happened to Scarponi: cyclists not beeing seen or respected at intersections , because driver is too old or drunk or high, doesn't comprehend how fast you can ride, doesn't pay attention, don't care (truck drivers), ...

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

the only conclusion I'd draw from both cases is that shit happens no matter where you live and what you do. I was once struck by a car despite she saw me like from a mile or two coming from the opposite direction - it didn't prevent her from hitting me though. same with road rage - I was once attacked by guy who had his kid in the back in the very city center. idiots are everywhere and IMHO a good strategy is to pick your fights so to speak - do not engage (like punching fists in the air) if there's a good chance you might be attacked. as for car accidents - there are no rules and never will be. I'm only glad more and more people ride bikes or run (this also gives you a diffferent perspective on traffic) which makes them more aware and - hopefuly - careful. at least in theory..
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Imaking20 wrote:It seems the challenge people have for Valverde is with the class of his character and not his class as a rider (which speaks for itself). I've historically been ambivalent towards him, but his interview immediately following LBL - if that's not first class as a human, I don't know what is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoHOVy_xEAQ

Well said, I thought exactly that as I watched him live. :thumbup:
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Terrible what happened to Offredo.

That said, he needs to get some new friends.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Antoine

by Antoine

LeDuke wrote: he needs to get some new friends.

Indeed !!! http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/cyclisme/agression-de-yoann-offredo-j-en-ai-ras-le-bol-25-04-2017-6888351.php
Apparently they did nothing except staying in front of the car so they could not leave.
The driver had a knife so Offredo prevented him to step out of the car.
But the woman passenger did and grabbed some kind of stick in the boot and struck Offredo from behind ! He was then hit by the man.
The employer of the man came and it stopped.

Offredo lives less than 40 kms from me, should I offer him to train with me iinstead ?

flying

by flying

Antoine wrote:Offredo lives less than 40 kms from me, should I offer him to train with me iinstead ?

Only if he can keep pace :thumbup:

MRM

by MRM

boysa wrote:In no way am I saying any of these examples... or doping, as the core issue at hand... are not WRONG. They certainly are. I'm merely saying I think I can understand why some of these guys (Valverde, Lance, Vino) show no remorse. I believe these guys are the only ones being honest. Tyler Hamilton, Floyd, Millar... are they REALLY sorry? I don't think so. I think they got caught, and saw dollar signs attached to showing remorse and regret. Funny how none of them were ever sorry until after they were caught red-handed.

Completely agree.

maquisard

by maquisard

Hamilton and maybe Landis I can tolerate, Millar I cannot stand. He is the worst of the hypocrite reformed dopers.

KWalker

by KWalker

his clothing line is the pinnacle of sad MAMILs trying to be fashionable.

I do like that he at least wrote about it in a detailed manner. Maybe I'm a bit morbid, but I want to know the details of what they did, when, and how. It's only then that you can understand how much went into the effort. There is a big difference between some dipshit like Ricco just buying and injecting things versus a carefully managed program. A simple analogy would be NCAA vs. pro football players- they're both on lots of the same gear, but it's clear that pros have resources to implement it in a much more effective and calculated manner.

Say what ya want about Floyd, it sounds like his original vendetta came from being sick of being treated like crap from those who were doing the same thing so he decided to stop playing their game and outed them for what they were. Mainly, he went after Lance since he was perhaps the biggest asshole and hypocrite. Others got caught in the storyline, but he didn't literally single out every single rider he could.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com