Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6408 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1308 309 310 311 312428 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:00 pm 

Time heals all and that? Maybe 5 yrs is long enough punishment for suing/bullying a bunch of people? Maybe the USADA and $100m federal suit things are punishment enough? Maybe not? I don't know - but either way the discussion needs to be about him being a douche and not the cheating because the rest of the former dopers have been allowed back in for some time now. If people want to be outraged about him then they should be outraged with the long list of ex pros from 'that era' involved from cycling - get's messy quick.

Between the HBO show and podcasts LA is doing everything right at the moment for his image. I am sure he's getting professional help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:50 pm 

Rondje wrote:
This reporter really been to a lot of cycling events and even said that Sky is worse then Armstrong when it's up to press business.

Sky are definitely not worse than Armstrong - because (so far at least) they haven't sued journalists for libel, perjured themselves and won millions in damages over stories that turned out to be true.

Incidentally that's why I think Armstrong does deserve special treatment in terms of exclusion from the Tour. Not because of the everybody-did-it doping, but because of the careers he destroyed and people he tried to ruin in the course of the coverup of his doping. It gave the appearance of borderline sociopathy, IMO.

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:50 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:13 pm 

wingguy wrote:
Rondje wrote:
but because of the careers he destroyed and people he tried to ruin in the course of the coverup of his doping. It gave the appearance of borderline sociopathy, IMO.

++1.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:18 pm 

maquisard wrote:
This TdF has a certain feel of 2003 about it, Armstrong looked like being on the ropes many times, even vulnerable, but he won out in the end. I think it will be the same for Froome as well. He has never looked as vulnerable in terms of the time gaps going into the final week but at the same time it is hard to see him losing massive amounts of time on the next two mountain stages. He also has Mikel Landa, who is Froome, what Froome was to Wiggins in 2012!

It will be an interesting final week, that's for sure!

I agree, after that performance I don't see him losing substantial time (if any at all) in the last two mountain stages. Even if he does he will floor them all in the time trial anyway. I see it very unlikely that he loses barring some weird incident. I'd love to see Bardet or Aru win it but I can't really see it happening. I think Richie Porte would have most definitely be up there at this point and would have been the only one who could stand a chance in the TT.. it's a damn shame he's out of the race

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:18 pm 

wingguy wrote:
It gave the appearance of borderline sociopathy, IMO.

Are you qualified to diagnose sociopathy?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:23 pm 

WinterRider wrote:
wingguy wrote:
Rondje wrote:
but because of the careers he destroyed and people he tried to ruin in the course of the coverup of his doping. It gave the appearance of borderline sociopathy, IMO.

++1.

What is this? How do I get pulled into this quote.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:26 pm 

wingguy wrote:
Rondje wrote:
This reporter really been to a lot of cycling events and even said that Sky is worse then Armstrong when it's up to press business.

Sky are definitely not worse than Armstrong - because (so far at least) they haven't sued journalists for libel, perjured themselves and won millions in damages over stories that turned out to be true.

I think he means the we way they "work" with press. Only letting in selected journalists, giving them not a lot of chances to ask questions, blacklisting journalists if they say something that doesn't suite them, etc.
That are simply ways to cover up bad stuff and force journalists to avoid questions they don't like because if not, they won't be welcome again. And how can a journalist do his job if he can't ask questions to a race leader, or the leading team?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:04 pm 

jeffy wrote:
wingguy wrote:
It gave the appearance of borderline sociopathy, IMO.

Are you qualified to diagnose sociopathy?

Since I qualified the statement in two ways that made it clear I wasn't offering a clinical diagnosis (like, duh :roll: ) your question is moot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 pm 

Rondje wrote:
I think he means the we way they "work" with press. Only letting in selected journalists, giving them not a lot of chances to ask questions, blacklisting journalists if they say something that doesn't suite them, etc.

If one of those journalists got sued for writing a true story I think they'd certainly consider it part of how it is to 'work' with that team. Otherwise it'd bring to mind the phrase "Apart from that Mrs Kennedy, how did you like Dallas?"

Quote:
That are simply ways to cover up bad stuff and force journalists to avoid questions they don't like because if not, they won't be welcome again. And how can a journalist do his job if he can't ask questions to a race leader, or the leading team?

Oh yeah, it's pretty stupid and self defeating conduct. Brailsford needs someone to give him a good slap and make him get his shit together. But it's not as bad as Armstrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:12 pm 

wingguy wrote:
... deserve special treatment in terms of exclusion from the Tour. Not because of the everybody-did-it doping, but because of the careers he destroyed and people he tried to ruin in the course of the coverup of his doping. It gave the appearance of borderline sociopathy, IMO.

The same might also be true of Brailsford. Due to his cover-up of the Jiffy back saga he has effectively ruined the career of RIchard Freeman and Simon Cope. Similarly whist he has presided over success at British cycling, the price for that success has come at the expense of other athletes who have been ruthlessly pushed aside and discarded despite their talent. Ask Nicole Cooke what she thinks of him for example. He has managed to keep his true colours under wraps for some time through his use of bullshit MBA management speak. However now, as the pressure builds and his downfall has begun, his really personality is coming through. A bully and sociopath.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm 

maquisard wrote:
Similarly whist he has presided over success at British cycling, the price for that success has come at the expense of other athletes who have been ruthlessly pushed aside and discarded despite their talent.

True - but since that process has been revealed to have been mirrored at numerous other GB sports bodies whose continued funding is based solely around Olympic success it seems that the rot is coming from even higher up in the system.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:37 pm 

Whatever the case I think that Brailsford should leave Sky. He has achieved a lot and can be proud. However it has come to the point when he is the story rather than what the riders are doing in the race. Everything in life is just for a while, and Brailsford's tenure is coming to an end.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:38 pm 

wingguy wrote:
Since I qualified the statement in two ways that made it clear I wasn't offering a clinical diagnosis (like, duh :roll: ) your question is moot.

Just interested as ironically one of the characteristics of sociopathy is making unqualified diagnoses of sociopathy in others.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:42 pm 

People stop your jibber-jabber! 20mph wind forecast for tomorrow's stage, watch for the Belgians at the front of the peloton!

Pegoretti Responsorium, Parlee Z5i, Donhou Commuter, 1946 MacLeans Featherweight L'Eroica!, 2x MTB 'dales

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:46 pm 

jeffy wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Just interested as ironically one of the characteristics of sociopathy is making unqualified diagnoses of sociopathy in others.

As broad brushes go, that's about as useful as saying one of the characteristics of sociopathy is being a living, breathing human. It is, but it's also a characteristic of everyone else.

Besides, one of the real recognised characteristics of a sociopath is the projection of a charming persona. So that's me out :wink:

Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:46 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6408 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1308 309 310 311 312428 Next