2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ave

by ave

Sagan already showed in the spring, that he is "happy" to let others go, if others are not helping.

TonyM

by TonyM

In the spring some riders or teams made some efforts so that he is not able to win [emoji15] some jealously I suppose [emoji37][emoji37]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

thePrince wrote:Mara has always been a pure climber...she laid down a great attack on the final climb of that race and built a big enough lead that she was almost able to take the gold.

If she weighed more, doubtful she would have put that kind of time into the field, and also doubtful those extra kilos would have translated to being able to hold off a chase group containing the strongest overall rider in the field and two trade-team teammates. Maybe, but doubtful.

When you say "saddest", are you suggesting it was pathetic...or are you feeling sympathy for an athlete who laid it all out there and came up meters short from winning a gold medal?

I felt sympathy for her.

But, as others have said or indicated, it wasn't the Olympic road hill climb race. It was a road race, and descending and riding on the flats are part of that, too. Her descending wasn't up to par with her climbing. Not even close; it was abysmal.

Rondje

by Rondje

Sagan's interview after the finish was fun as well. https://twitter.com/BinckBankTour/statu ... 1943987200
It's like he said in the spring classics, I might not be able to win, but I can control who wins. Only a mechanical can keep him away from the overal win I think. The way he rode in the mountains in Poland they won't drop him here, while today is a hard stage for Boom.
Boom got a 880 euro fine out of his celebrating behaviour.

Rondje

by Rondje

LeDuke wrote:
thePrince wrote:Mara has always been a pure climber...she laid down a great attack on the final climb of that race and built a big enough lead that she was almost able to take the gold.

If she weighed more, doubtful she would have put that kind of time into the field, and also doubtful those extra kilos would have translated to being able to hold off a chase group containing the strongest overall rider in the field and two trade-team teammates. Maybe, but doubtful.

When you say "saddest", are you suggesting it was pathetic...or are you feeling sympathy for an athlete who laid it all out there and came up meters short from winning a gold medal?

I felt sympathy for her.

But, as others have said or indicated, it wasn't the Olympic road hill climb race. It was a road race, and descending and riding on the flats are part of that, too. Her descending wasn't up to par with her climbing. Not even close; it was abysmal.

It's the choices you have to make right. Van Vleuten put it all out there and crashed in winning position, Mara descended with a lot more caution, let Van Vleuten go clear in front of her and got pulled back because of it.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

What was Boom's gesture at the finish yesterday about?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

djcharlou

by djcharlou

bikewithnoname wrote:What was Boom's gesture at the finish yesterday about?

According to the newspaper "De Telegraaf" it's because his team didn't pick him for the Vuelta

Rondje

by Rondje

djcharlou wrote:
bikewithnoname wrote:What was Boom's gesture at the finish yesterday about?

According to the newspaper "De Telegraaf" it's because his team didn't pick him for the Vuelta

It's more then that. It's a lot of frustration of multiple events. In the interview he said the people know for whom it is. But a guy like that wins way to little for what he's payed for. Last victory was in 2015. It's probably also some anger because he got some sh*t over him at the nationals when he went clear in the final and possibly derailing teammate Groenewegen's train.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Thanks guys, none of the uk outlets I read offered any explaination
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

fa63

by fa63

I think Boom's expression was probably lost upon our US-based members [emoji3]I have never seen that gesture used here (but I grew up in Turkey, where it is used way too much).

djcharlou

by djcharlou

Awesome racing at BinckBank tour right now, feels like we are in april !

Rondje

by Rondje

Rondje wrote:Sagan's interview after the finish was fun as well. https://twitter.com/BinckBankTour/statu ... 1943987200
It's like he said in the spring classics, I might not be able to win, but I can control who wins. Only a mechanical can keep him away from the overal win I think. The way he rode in the mountains in Poland they won't drop him here.

Did I jinx it? :oops:

KWalker

by KWalker

Boom seemed to throw things away when he went to Astana to try and win classics??? Then came back to basically the same team he left, which now had younger riders to develop. Something seems weird about how that entire progression went down.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Would be cool to see an article on Boom's story in english instead of another Haussler comeback article for the 5th yr in a row. Is he with Lotto for '18?

edit: oops here ya go....
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boom-fined-1000-chf-for-binckbank-tour-victory-celebration/

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I thought Boom's gesture meant that all of his arm work in the gym came to benefit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com