2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Yeah. When you watch it on the TV, it looks pretty innocuous, with the rider on the back is just putting his hand on the rider in front to say "I'm here, don't crash into me". But in reality, if the rider on the back was not there acting as a gatekeeper, the rider falling back down the line would overshoot the tail and leave himself a big gap to close. It may not look like much, but when you're right on the limit it can result in you getting dropped, having to make a huge sprint effort to get back on (which has a big impact on the team's performance overall), or the team having to slow down and wait.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Rondje

by Rondje

dj97223 wrote:Does anyone have video of the push(es)?

https://www.facebook.com/82877700380956 ... 7618232167
Doesn't seem like much, but it's enough to push the rider back in line so he doesn't drop out.
The excuse the UCI is now using is that they used an old rule book yesterday... :roll:

Edit:
Latest news from a Dutch journalist (former cyclist) who's riding on the Dwars door Vlaanderen course: Plenty of wind with chances of echelons.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

^the first one looks like "I'm staying behind" kind of tap, and the second one (on the curve) is more like a safety thing.. it's not like those guys are staying behind, and how that tapping puts them in line is beyond my very limited (TTT-wise) imagination
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Safety thing? The rider dropping back was in no danger. Nor was the rider who pushed him.

It wasn't a tap, nor was it a straight arm push. He accelerated him forward back into the rotation.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

^ this....

it was a rojas was resting at the back, and if he doesn't do that, the rider goes behind him without knowing rojas is leaving the gap there for him to fill in. Letter of the law, maybe.... but imho they ddidn't gain an advantage from the footage i saw. Not like valverde was stiff arming rojas up climbs

also ABUS, braded kask bambinos?

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Yes. But the problem is; how much of a push is too much of a push? How much force is OK?

Should riders have to wear some kind of UCI sanctioned pressure pad on their arse?
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

kkibbler

by kkibbler

PhilGil rocking black and white shoes in DdV, as in, left foot black right foot white. Asymmetry fashion or forgotten shoe cover?

Rondje

by Rondje

kkibbler wrote:PhilGil rocking black and white shoes in DdV, as in, left foot black right foot white. Asymmetry fashion or forgotten shoe cover?

Had problems with his cleats. So switching was probably faster then fixing it.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

https://twitter.com/tejay_van/status/844221831951323139

Yesterday's news now but It's just not a good look for TJ or the sport when you look at what actually transpired. It was communication, not assistance. I'm not a UCI commi but to me it was nothing more than Rojas saying "get in I'm missing a turn". That should be considered by the judges. Regardless of the rules it just seems super petty of TJ, BMC, the UCI and erodes the credibility of the sport with Piti now a minute down on GC.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

petepeterson wrote:https://twitter.com/tejay_van/status/844221831951323139

Yesterday's news now but It's just not a good look for TJ or the sport when you look at what actually transpired. It was communication, not assistance. I'm not a UCI commi but to me it was nothing more than Rojas saying "get in I'm missing a turn". That should be considered by the judges. Regardless of the rules it just seems super petty of TJ, BMC, the UCI and erodes the credibility of the sport with Piti now a minute down on GC.

TJ is a #janker and should *f##k* off.

Yes, it was against the rules but it was not unfair. So justice has been done and I agree it's a bit harsh.

So back to real racing in Belgium.

quadlt250

by quadlt250

Dr.Dos wrote:
petepeterson wrote:https://twitter.com/tejay_van/status/844221831951323139

TJ is a #janker and should *f##k* off.

Yes, it was against the rules but it was not unfair. So justice has been done and I agree it's a bit harsh.

So back to real racing in Belgium.

Getting back on after pulling on the front is the hardest part of a TTT and is usually where things fall apart; there's a reason pushing from the back is against the rules. I think the 1 minute penalty to the whole team is totally fair. Give this a read
http://www.velonews.com/2017/03/news/mo ... tch_433280

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

there was no push. just a touch, like let's keep it going. there was no physical push. Total BS TJ.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

mike wrote:there was no push. just a touch, like let's keep it going. there was no physical push. Total BS TJ.

When does a 'touch' become a 'push'? This is one rule where there should be no grey area.

KWalker

by KWalker

Given the top 25, how far will Tejay sink by the end of Catalunya?:

1 Tejay Van Garderen (USA) BMC Racing Team 10:24:33
2 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) BMC Racing Team 0:00:41
3 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:44
4 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:45
5 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:49
6 Marc Soler (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:10
7 Alberto Contador (Spa) Trek-Segafredo 0:01:13
8 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-Scott 0:01:18
9 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:01:25
10 Jarlinson Pantano (Col) Trek-Segafredo
11 Carlos Verona (Spa) Orica-Scott 0:01:32
12 Peter Kennaugh (GBr) Team Sky 0:01:44
13 George Bennett (NZl) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:01:51
14 Daniel Martin (Irl) Quick-Step Floors 0:02:02
15 Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo 0:02:04
16 Mikel Nieve (Spa) Team Sky 0:02:08
17 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:13
18 Robert Gesink (Ned) Team LottoNl-Jumbo
19 Pierre Roger Latour (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:02:22
20 Jonathan Castroviejo (Spa) Movistar Team
21 Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe 0:02:35
22 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana Pro Team 0:02:42
23 Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha-Alpecin 0:02:46
24 Louis Vervaeke (Bel) Lotto Soudal 0:02:47
25 Darwin Atapuma (Col) UAE Team Emirates 0:03:08
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

look at the video. I only see two touches. a push is a push.