2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

everyone will have heard about this by the time u see this post

CPongpanich

by CPongpanich

Did Kittel change his bike? Because I crossed the line with a rim brake bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Is there footage? I don't get how his left foot could have gotten sliced...

EDIT: It is a surgically straight cut though. Weird.

pastronef

by pastronef

Doull's comment

https://www.twitter.com/owaindoull/stat ... 7150560256

Although fortunately for me the disk brake went through my shoe and not my leg. Disk cut straight through my shoe into my foot

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm guessing a chainring.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Attermann

by Attermann

LeDuke wrote:I'm guessing a chainring.

Wouldn't there be oil residue on a white shoe then?

kkibbler

by kkibbler

And we're right back to playing the guessing game.

...1km to go he would have been in the big ring
...but the cut doesn't look ragged like a chainring cut should
...but he would have had to have been (gr?) right on top of Kittel for the disc to cut his left foot, that's so unlikely
...but in a crash the wheel and disc would have stopped, it doesn't have the inertial mass to keep spinning and cutting

etc etc.

pastronef

by pastronef

weightweenies Zakeen Adam Hansen comment about the disc crash

https://www.twitter.com/HansenAdam/stat ... 3654010881

chris47

by chris47

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Attermann wrote:
LeDuke wrote:I'm guessing a chainring.

Wouldn't there be oil residue on a white shoe then?

Ventoso had no grease on his wound. And there weren't any disc brake bikes near him when that happened.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Why is everyone so quick to think it's something other than what the injured rider, who was actually there, remembers about it. Granted it happened quickly for sure, but at this point I think the most reliable source of what happened might just be the guy it happened to, providing he wasn't knocked unconscious. Also, I hope that by now they've confiscated Kittel's bike to examine his rotors for any signs of shoe material and/or skin and blood. Who knows, but that would seem to me to be the appropriate thing to have done, if not right at the crash, then as soon as they had time to think about what just happened and the inevitable shitstorm that everyone knows will follow.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pastronef

by pastronef

Calnago wrote:Why is everyone so quick to think it's something other than what the injured rider, who was actually there, remembers about it. Granted it happened quickly for sure, but at this point I think the most reliable source of what happened might just be the guy it happened to, providing he wasn't knocked unconscious. Also, I hope that by now they've confiscated Kittel's bike to examine his rotors for any signs of shoe material and/or skin and blood. Who knows, but that would seem to me to be the appropriate thing to have done, if not right at the crash, then as soon as they had time to think about what just happened and the inevitable shitstorm that everyone knows will follow.

100% right
:beerchug:

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Calnago wrote:Why is everyone so quick to think it's something other than what the injured rider, who was actually there, remembers about it. Granted it happened quickly for sure, but at this point I think the most reliable source of what happened might just be the guy it happened to, providing he wasn't knocked unconscious. Also, I hope that by now they've confiscated Kittel's bike to examine his rotors for any signs of shoe material and/or skin and blood. Who knows, but that would seem to me to be the appropriate thing to have done, if not right at the crash, then as soon as they had time to think about what just happened and the inevitable shitstorm that everyone knows will follow.

Why?

Because the last time this happened, with Francisco Ventoso, the people who expressed skepticism were ridiculed and then ultimately vindicated.

Ventoso was ADAMANT that it was a disc brake, as were many other people. And then, it turns out that there was no one riding a disc brake bike anywhere near him when he went down.

wingguy

by wingguy

Calnago wrote:Why is everyone so quick to think it's something other than what the injured rider, who was actually there, remembers about it. Granted it happened quickly for sure, but at this point I think the most reliable source of what happened might just be the guy it happened to, providing he wasn't knocked unconscious.

Because if you listen to Doull talking about it, he doesn't say that he knows the disc cut his shoe because he remembers it happening, he says he knows it was a disc because nothing else would have cut his shoe like that. So believe it or not, he's working off the same evidence that everyone else is, the fact that he was there and we weren't is basically irrelevant.

That said, I agree with him. I'd be amazed if anything but a disc rotor made a cut that clean.

(And I'm also sure that Ventoso was wrong. He convinced himself it was a disc therefore he remembered it being a disc. That's the problem with eyewitness memory - it's not as good as we think it is!)

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

I just love how people appoint themselves as oracles of cyclists' safety. many of pros apparently feel wrong about discs but we still need to be smarter than them. it's not about whether we find riding discs good or bad, it's whether they find them suitable for racing conditions - and that bit does include crashes.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com