Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6723 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 81449 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:59 pm 

Multebear wrote:
Kwiato went to the front once or twice, but besides that he let Sagan do all the work. Kwiato either didn't have the legs to do more work, or he was willing to sacrifice their gap to the peloton just to increase his chances to outsprint Sagan on the line. Either of the two doesn't make Kwiato a champion. It makes him a winner, but not a champion.

Sagan sacrificed it all. He even gambled his own chance to win the race just to make sure that he at least made the podium. That's the heart of a true champion, and that's the kind of thing that spectators love about the sport.

I agree. To me, sports is about pushing the limits, it's about grit, it's about taking chances and going all in. Kwiatkowski may have won MSR, but Sagan won hearts.

It doesn't actually matter to me whether Sagan let the other two do more work or not, at the end of the day, as someone mentioned earlier, it is Sagan who made the race turn out the way it did.

Last edited by antonioiglesius on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:59 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:00 am 

so we get an exciting, entertaining spectacle and a bunch of people are not happy.
in a high stakes (monument) high pressure (peloton bearing down) game of strategy, Sagan went a touch early and slowed down.
It's like the 100m dash. It looks like Bolt accelerates away in the final third, but it is just that he stays the same speed as everyone else falters.

With MK and PS maturing, we are truly blessed for the race at this time of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:04 am 

AJS914 wrote:
>>There was no time to race smarter.

Sagen could have insisted on the other guys pulling a little more. In fact, he takes over pulling as if he was impatient with the other guys. Alaphillippe took a pull for just a few seconds before Sagen took right over again. It's like Sagen is running on pure adrenaline and can't help himself. It's what makes him exciting to watch.

In the end, he started the sprint a touch too early and he lost by centimeters. Winning a sprint requires some bit of strategy and Sagen appears to only rely on strength in these situations. When he has another world champ in the bunch, that is obviously not enough.

There was no time to insist or do anything. In a situation like that you can't hesitate for a second. If Kwiato or Alaph really wanted to pull, they would have come to the front without Sagan asking them to. And since they didn't, there wasn't really anything else for Sagan to do than just keep going, or they would have been caught.

It's hard to win against someone, who is willing to throw it all away, just to increase the odds of sprinting past you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:07 am 

antonioiglesius wrote:

I agree. To me, sports is about pushing the limits, it's about grit, it's about taking chances and going all in. Kwiatkowski may have won MSR, but Sagan won hearts.

It doesn't actually matter to me whether Sagan let the other two do more work or not, at the end of the day, as someone mentioned earlier, it is Sagan who made the race turn out the way it did.

Totally agree.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 am 

My god it seems like some people only get enjoyment out of tearing things down. Kwiato wins a 3-up sprint fair and square minutes after burying himself with Alaphillipe to get onto an attack that no-one else in the peloton could follow or chase down but reading some of the posts here you could be fooled into thinking he'd been sitting on the sofa with his feet up for six hours and only hopped onto his bike for the last 10km so he could mug off the 'real' racers.

Why not appreciate the good instead of going looking for the bad? :noidea:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:55 am 

Anyway, it was a great race and a great finale. And there'll probably be much more spectacular racing from Sagan in the near future.

Meanwhile; it's just hilarious how he talks with sportsjournalists:

https://instagram.com/p/BR1hrQqhSnu/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:05 am 

Multebear wrote:
AJS914 wrote:

Sagen could have insisted on the other guys pulling a little more. In fact, he takes over pulling as if he was impatient with the other guys. Alaphillippe took a pull for just a few seconds before Sagen took right over again. It's like Sagen is running on pure adrenaline and can't help himself. It's what makes him exciting to watch.

In the end, he started the sprint a touch too early and he lost by centimeters. Winning a sprint requires some bit of strategy and Sagen appears to only rely on strength in these situations. When he has another world champ in the bunch, that is obviously not enough.

It's hard to win against someone, who is willing to throw it all away, just to increase the odds of sprinting past you.

This x1000...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:09 am 

And everyone knows in cycling, winning hearts means people don't look at you too hard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:05 am 
Resident master of GIF

lol at won hearts. it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:25 am 

Multebear wrote:

I think I must have been watching a different finish!

Sagan seemed happy to lead down most of the Poggio. Safer, trying to drop / put the other riders following in difficulty? Alaphilippe did one short turn on the lower slopes of the Poggio and nothing after that - team orders? Kwiatkowski shared turns on the flat until the last Km. He was behind Sagan at the kite so why come through before the sprint? They weren't going to be caught unless they messed around.

I thought Sagan's tactics were spot-on. With the number of good sprinters still in the main group his chances of winning a bunch kick weren't great so he didn't waste energy and just made one attack to try and win solo or from a small group and he was very close to doing so.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:45 am 

Out of curiosity: I think Sagan has a number of sponsorship/endorsement deals, including with Specialized. Is he the highest-paid pro cyclist today?

(later) Found this, but not definitive/complete. He does seem to command a higher salary than a two-time TdF winner (?)
http://www.velonews.com/2016/04/news/ca ... tag_402516

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:53 am 

Pretty sure he is the highest paid.

Froome is about as marketable as a box of rocks...

My Photoblog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:08 am 

AJS914 wrote:

In the end, he started the sprint a touch too early and he lost by centimeters. Winning a sprint requires some bit of strategy and Sagen appears to only rely on strength in these situations. When he has another world champ in the bunch, that is obviously not enough. He's young though and will get better with age. As it is, he already one of the greatest talents we've ever seen and he will surely have a long and prestigious palmares.

As I wrote earlier, Alaphilippe was cooked at the top of the Poggio and could barely stand on the bike. Very "gent" gesture of him to try to pull a bit, but Sagan wouldn't allow a major speed drop (meaning and end to his potentially winning move) and took rapidly over.

Louis :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 am 

Multebear wrote:
Anyway, it was a great race and a great finale. And there'll probably be much more spectacular racing from Sagan in the near future.

Ha, amazing stuff. Love it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:28 am 

Multebear wrote:

He is out of control. There was another controversy between him and italian journalist on RAI during pre-race studio. Anyone to comment?

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:28 am 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6723 posts ]  Go to page Previous 177 78 79 80 81449 Next