2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

DartanianX wrote:Specialized PR Machine gearing into action early...

"The Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix are unique and beautiful races, and at the same time, extremely technical and exhausting. The many infamous cobbled sectors in these Monuments increase the possibility of a tire puncture, and managing the replacement of wheels is one of the main issues for all competitors — especially those aspiring to a great result. In a time where bikes with disc brakes have not yet been adopted by all teams, there exists a discrepancy in mechanical assistance along the course. For these technical and strategic reasons, working closely with our teams and riders, we’ve decided to supply Tom Boonen (for whom Paris-Roubaix will be the last race of his career), and all of our riders competing at both Flanders and Paris-Roubaix, with Roubaix bikes that have traditional rim brakes. This is a platform that’s UCI-approved and could be commercialized, that is if it’s determined to have enough consumer demand."

beautiful. let me translate it to english - "when it comes to the biggest races our riders don't give a single damn about our marketing strategy and the pressure we apply on them to ride what we tell them to ride. and honestly, the whole disc brake thing makes for too many potential complications and unknowns where a fast wheel change is necessary. we've decided to stick to a race proven solutions and leave the experiments for lesser races that we can afford to lose - if Boonen lost his last P-R due to a disc brake situation, we'd be f***ed both in terms of image and sales. so there you go - a rim brake Roubaix bike, which is 100% perfect for the job, go get one now!"

BTW, has there been a rider who punctured during/after the Arenber and still remained in contention? I don't remember such a case :noidea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha, the thing I dislike most about Specialized is their marketing spin. It is so transparent. But having said that, I was wondering what Boonen would choose for the likes of Paris Roubaix (we'll still have to see as it might be different than flanders, not likely, but maybe). I thought at the beginning of the season, if there was one race he would want to win more than any other this season, it would be PR. It's the one race I think that he would have ultimate say in what he rides, as long as it's Specialized of course. So, would he choose disc brakes? I never thought Specialized would require him to use a disc braked bike in PR, but if they all agreed to it, then I would bet that Specialized would have a zillion people planted along the route with spare front and rear wheels at the ready. Logistically, I don't think that would be possible, so I can understand the rim brake alternative. The negative publicity over losing PR because of a disc brake issue would be huge and not worth risking. Fair enough. So my next wonder is whether he'll actually use the Roubaix's bike front spring suspension. If it came down to a final all out sprint, that squishy front end can be extremely disconcerting. Interesting. And I believe that if Boonen himself feels he's got a legit shot at winning and is feeling good, he's not going to ride a bike that he doesn't think he can win on, regardless of how much money Specialized wants to throw at him. On the other hand, if he's feeling not quite up to par these days, riding what the sponsor wants to photograph him on may be an option if the $bonus$ is right. And I'm sure they could just throw a standard type fork in the thing and cover it with an accordion style piece of rubber to make people think it's the spring, when in fact it's not. I don't think it has a lockout feature.

I love the Classics!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wingguy

by wingguy

wpccrunner wrote:A front wheel you could probably get to work in an emergency, since road disc and road rim brake front hub spacing is 100mm. But then again you may have spoke/hub-flange clearance issues around the disc brake caliper if installing a rim brake wheel.

Except no-one's using front qr disc wheels and no-one's using thru axle rim brake wheels sooooo, it ain't gonna work :wink:

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I love echelons. Last year's Qatar worlds was so entertaining and yesterday's 3DD was lovely as well.

PhilGil's classics calendar is insane. GWE last Sunday, riding aggressively in 3.5 stages during the week, 2 days R&R, Ronde on Sunday.

And I'm just sitting here eating pizza.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

Rondje wrote:Thanks for clearing that up. But it still doesn't prove anything about Holm's opinion or possibly saying that it happened. A place for narrow-minded/hated people still suggests it's probably not been a real incident.

But let's focus on the positive: Today in De Panne :-D
I never get tired of Echelons. And Durbridge (possible underdog for RVV?) missed the first echelon.

Awesome photo and great race :D
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

pastronef

by pastronef

tymon_tm wrote:beautiful. let me translate it to english - "when it comes to the biggest races our riders don't give a single damn about our marketing strategy and the pressure we apply on them to ride what we tell them to ride. and honestly, the whole disc brake thing makes for too many potential complications and unknowns where a fast wheel change is necessary. we've decided to stick to a race proven solutions and leave the experiments for lesser races that we can afford to lose - if Boonen lost his last P-R due to a disc brake situation, we'd be fugked both in terms of image and sales. so there you go - a rim brake Roubaix bike, which is 100% perfect for the job, go get one now!"

BTW, has there been a rider who punctured during/after the Arenber and still remained in contention? I don't remember such a case :noidea:

that would be huge!
but they understood the risk, so they wont make it happen

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

wingguy wrote:
wpccrunner wrote:A front wheel you could probably get to work in an emergency, since road disc and road rim brake front hub spacing is 100mm. But then again you may have spoke/hub-flange clearance issues around the disc brake caliper if installing a rim brake wheel.

Except no-one's using front qr disc wheels and no-one's using thru axle rim brake wheels sooooo, it ain't gonna work :wink:

yes, that why I included the word "emergency" where all the stars of the solar system would have to align for something so out there to actually work. Chances of it working are slim to none, but no sense talking about discs any longer.

Rondje

by Rondje

kkibbler wrote:PhilGil's classics calendar is insane. GWE last Sunday, riding aggressively in 3.5 stages during the week, 2 days R&R, Ronde on Sunday.

Any idea about his Ardenne schedule? He surely got a chance in the AGR (same goes for Sagan and GvA). And can be a backup for Alaphilipe in the other races.

wingguy

by wingguy

wpccrunner wrote:
wingguy wrote:

yes, that why I included the word "emergency" where all the stars of the solar system would have to align for something so out there to actually work. Chances of it working are slim to none, but no sense talking about discs any longer.

Ok, you should probably check what the word 'probably' means next time you're giving advice then, because if you can probably get a qr rim wheel to work on a thru axle fork out on the road you obviously carry a *f##k* load more spares than I do! :lol:

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Rondje wrote:
kkibbler wrote:PhilGil's classics calendar is insane. GWE last Sunday, riding aggressively in 3.5 stages during the week, 2 days R&R, Ronde on Sunday.

Any idea about his Ardenne schedule? He surely got a chance in the AGR (same goes for Sagan and GvA). And can be a backup for Alaphilipe in the other races.

u think phil gil wants to be backup for anyone? not taking anything for ala, but i see a two pronged attack option. Gilbert looks like he's flying at the moment

AGR the finish moved 19km from the top of cauberg..... i think alot more sprinters are licking their lips now. Matthews in it? demare maybe?

KWalker

by KWalker

someone with veloclub access should copy/paste the new secret pro into here.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Rondje

by Rondje

nathanong87 wrote:u think phil gil wants to be backup for anyone? not taking anything for ala, but i see a two pronged attack option. Gilbert looks like he's flying at the moment

AGR the finish moved 19km from the top of cauberg..... i think alot more sprinters are licking their lips now. Matthews in it? demare maybe?

Didn't really mean backup, more like a second card to play. The typical QS style, like they start the RVV with 3/4 different cards to play (and Gilbert as the strongest card of course). If Martin still rides them they got 3 solid riders for the Ardenne's.

Matthews for sure, GvA also usually rides it, so we can expect him as well, specially in his current form. But in a sprint with a small group anything can happen (if it's going to be a small group). The finish two years ago was also pretty chaotic with Kwiato winning while Matthews seemed super strong in Gilbert's wheel at the Cauberg.
It's a bit of a shame they changed the AGR course this year, just now when it seems attacks are going from further out then ever before.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

wouldn't matter because kittel wouldn't care about 1 minute added to his GC time lol

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com