2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

petepeterson

by petepeterson

LOL

Froome aint winning anything with a sketchy descent run in to the finish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Gaimon getting into the Cancellara motor thing in his book/media/twitter. Better be careful if he wants a job in cycling.

KWalker

by KWalker

petepeterson wrote:LOL

Oh great, we can re-start the "Froome sucks at descending" argument, compare him to the top 5 descenders, and ignore the massive progress he has displayed in becoming a very adept bike handler or the difference tactics could make.

I don't think GB will be the main contender necessarily, but is one of the countries that might have a bit more selflessness in their organization. In terms of probability of winning Italy and Spain always bring riders with a high individual probability, but don't get the gold. France hasn't had a winner in 20 years and who is Colombia going to have playing a support role?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

gravity

by gravity

KWalker wrote:France hasn't had a winner in 20 years and who is Colombia going to have playing a support role?

Errr... i dont know...? Pantano, the Henaos, Atapuma, Miguel A. Lopez, Bernal...? Uran, Quitana, Chavez can play the leader cards.

Rondje

by Rondje

petepeterson wrote:Gaimon getting into the Cancellara motor thing in his book/media/twitter. Better be careful if he wants a job in cycling.

That guy get's more media cover after his career then he did when he was active. Really seems like a guy who can't say goodbye to the spotlight. Bit weird to write something in his book based on "someone told me" and if you ask me.
He seems to have learned from Thomas Dekker his book, just swing around some names of more known riders to get attention to your book in hope it increases the sales.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

IMHO Gaimon knows Cancellara won't take any legal action against him. let's not kid ourselves, that's how that sort of masterpieces are being sold - one single controversy smuggles a whole pile of crap no one would bother to read otherwise.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

otoman

by otoman

For some reason, I read Draft Animals, Gaimon's latest book in which he makes those accusations against Cancellara. While better written than his previous books, he still comes across for what he is: an ungrateful, cynical and sarcastic person.

He seems to have particular scorn for masters amateur racers. Perhaps we/they do deserve some of the criticism, but what he clearly does not understand is that the masters racers are the guys and gals that have the financial wherewithal to support his teams' sponsors. Without dudes in their 30's-50's buying all this bike crap, there would not be much reason for him to exist. He certainly fires shots at numerous top level pros as well as makes lame attempts to justify his naiveté towards Tom Danielson. Ultimately, his book does a good job of highlighting him as a person: {I'm looking around for a douche emoji right now}

Perhaps the ultimate reality check for Gaimon is that he should not be discussed in the PRO section of WW right? ;-)
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

bilwit

by bilwit

otoman wrote:For some reason, I read Draft Animals, Gaimon's latest book in which he makes those accusations against Cancellara. While better written than his previous books, he still comes across for what he is: an ungrateful, cynical and sarcastic person.

He seems to have particular scorn for masters amateur racers. Perhaps we/they do deserve some of the criticism, but what he clearly does not understand is that the masters racers are the guys and gals that have the financial wherewithal to support his teams' sponsors. Without dudes in their 30's-50's buying all this bike crap, there would not be much reason for him to exist. He certainly fires shots at numerous top level pros as well as makes lame attempts to justify his naiveté towards Tom Danielson. Ultimately, his book does a good job of highlighting him as a person: {I'm looking around for a douche emoji right now}

Perhaps the ultimate reality check for Gaimon is that he should not be discussed in the PRO section of WW right? ;-)

Spot on. Although, I do kind of like his general stance of blowing up the idea that strava stars or amateur racers are remotely near the level of the pros (ie. he can stick it to most contested KOMs out there and yet he's a washed up scrub who was never really anything to begin with as a pro--Nibali put 10 minutes into him in the Taiwan KOM challenge recently). I'm not sure that this agenda is to actually put people in their place or to say "boo hoo everyone else MUST be cheating" because he always comes across so bitter about it.

AJS914

by AJS914

He's just another hack commenting on a youtube video. It's click bait for his book and his self-promotion business and it has worked because we are discussing it.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

bilwit wrote:Spot on. Although, I do kind of like his general stance of blowing up the idea that strava stars or amateur racers are remotely near the level of the pros (ie. he can stick it to most contested KOMs out there and yet he's a washed up scrub who was never really anything to begin with as a pro--Nibali put 10 minutes into him in the Taiwan KOM challenge recently). I'm not sure that this agenda is to actually put people in their place or to say "boo hoo everyone else MUST be cheating" because he always comes across so bitter about it.

his original agenda was to take KOMs from former dopers.... then he realized that he couldn't take them and some of the most notable segments in the country were held by his boy tommy D. So then he changed his tune (as he's done) to simply KOM hunting now.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

KWalker wrote:

Oh great, we can re-start the "Froome sucks at descending" argument, compare him to the top 5 descenders, and ignore the massive progress he has displayed in becoming a very adept bike handler or the difference tactics could make.

100% agree he's gotten better overall as a bike racer and can now pedal tuck downhills but has he even finished a 1 day race? I'd be stoked he if could contend in hilly one day events - always exciting when a GT guy is up there in the Ardennes, Lombardia etc

petepeterson

by petepeterson

PG is crushing the virtue signalling troll book sales game. Pages on WW post retirement.

bilwit

by bilwit

petepeterson wrote:
KWalker wrote:

100% agree he's gotten better overall as a bike racer and can now pedal tuck downhills but has he even finished a 1 day race? I'd be stoked he if could contend in hilly one day events - always exciting when a GT guy is up there in the Ardennes, Lombardia etc

He put in a nice dig at the British Nationals in 2009 (and subsequently blew up afterward), that's the last impressive one day I remember of him. I don't ever seen him being top 10 in Roubaix like Wiggins but he's not that kind of all-rounder anyway. Still though, I wouldn't put the WCs past him at this point. After all, he can dominate the Tour, then dominate Vuelta weeks later, then only be a minute and change off Dumoulin at the Worlds TT all without any signs of fatigue :wink:

wingguy

by wingguy

tymon_tm wrote:IMHO Gaimon knows Cancellara won't take any legal action against him. let's not kid ourselves, that's how that sort of masterpieces are being sold - one single controversy smuggles a whole pile of crap no one would bother to read otherwise.

I had to laugh when I saw Gaimon says he's shocked, shocked that anyone is making a big deal over him accusing Cancellara of cheating. Like he had no idea that including that line would get a whole bunch of free press coverage and reaction for his book. Honestly, he's just as suprised about it as everyone else :lol:

Wookski

by Wookski

wingguy wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:IMHO Gaimon knows Cancellara won't take any legal action against him. let's not kid ourselves, that's how that sort of masterpieces are being sold - one single controversy smuggles a whole pile of crap no one would bother to read otherwise.

I had to laugh when I saw Gaimon says he's shocked, shocked that anyone is making a big deal over him accusing Cancellara of cheating. Like he had no idea that including that line would get a whole bunch of free press coverage and reaction for his book. Honestly, he's just as suprised about it as everyone else :lol:

What’s even funnier is the fact that there has been footage online for 7 years yet the UCI reacts when some asshole mentions it in a book. With no new evidence. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com