2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

erty65

by erty65

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rondje

by Rondje

erty65 wrote:What you think?
https://youtu.be/UeRfygzw-ag?t=13s

Dick move. Looks like he shoulders that guy of the road to compensate for his bad positioning (lack of teammates) before the climb.
This together with his quotes after the race shows Boonen's point tho. Boonen said in an interview that Sagan seemed edgy and annoyed, probably due to the busy schedule and pressure.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

doesn't look intentional if I'm honest. The camera angle isn't great, but looks like maybe wheels slipped and he went left. I think his bike moves first then his shoulders.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That was quite a bump, I'm assuming the guy wasn't knocked off this bike, or I'm sure there would have been more repurcussions. It was aggressive for sure, but I think he's gonna do what he needs to do at this point, especially being kind of all alone it seems these days. Sometimes things get dicey. Definitely borderline however. But when you're the boss...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

When I saw that on the live feed I noticed he moved over, but I didn't see the contact. I assumed it was a wheel slip on the cobbles, or maybe a touch of wheels.

Seeing it again, it really does _look_ intentional.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Calnago wrote:But when you're the boss...

You make your bed; you lye in it. He can't complain if someone accidentally takes him out in Flanders now.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Fair enough, and agreed, but only if they're jockeying it out for position. There are no accidents at that point.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Looks to me like his rear wheel slipped.

You can see his lower body and pelvis jerk pretty hard, then his upper body does as well.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

Looks to me like he is annoyed over the Cannondale rider, because the Cannondale rider blindly follows the red (Lotto?) riders wheel in front of him, moving left and opening a gap for Sagan to go through, but then moving right and closing the gap again. Sagan wanted to sprint to the front, and the Lotto guy first opened and then closed the door on him. But I agree with Sagan in that way, that if you don't want to sprint to the front, then get out of the way for others to pass you.

Shrike

by Shrike

Definitely looks like a shoulder check, but without being able to see his rear wheel it's inconclusive. Also didn't see any complaints from the rider he may or may not have shouldered, though again, that doesn't mean it it didn't happen that way.

Maybe a journo should show it to him on Youtube at his next interview and see what he says.

We know how much Sagan loves journos at the moment :P
Last edited by Shrike on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, I think I'd rather take a bump in the field from him than be assigned to interview him. :)

boots2000

by boots2000

Did you?

petal666 wrote:
boots2000 wrote:Seems to me that Sagan's tactic was to ride those two off the back and bridge crossed to those two alone.
It would have been tactical genius if it worked- Instead he came off looking foolish.
Did you actually watch what happened?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

boost2000, u didn't.

his tactic was to ride in a group of 5 with derpstra, but when he dropped the wheel confusingly, sagan attempted to bridge up to the winning move.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Terpstra/Quickstep's gambled on negative racing and lost bad. Funny no tweets from Lefevere on this.

Sagan bump didn't look great but it's a heli shot, people make poor decisions in the moment and this is why we love sports because it's unpredictable etc etc. At the end of the day it might not be most sportsmanlike thing but it's not dangerous so embrace the drama.

I was going congratulate TJvG for pulling up his big boy pants and tweeting his congratulations to Piti/Movi over the weekend but it appears he's since deleted his twitter account lol.

The problem with Phinney is that post injury it appears he doesn't really care about winning bike races. More about doing hipster stuff and collecting a pay cheque. That's cool but it's just difficult to cheer for that person as an athlete.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/taylor-phinney-cycling-needs-saving/
On that note Lachlan Morton finished a week long WT stage race....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vermu

by Vermu

I would give Phinney a bit time to see if he's just talk or not.

Poor performance from quickstep which have their specific focus in Belgian spring classics

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk