Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6686 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1412 413 414 415 416446 Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm 

Rondje wrote:
Craigagogo wrote:
Geoff wrote:
That is exactly what happened. Through the start/finish, he attacked and there was no response. Neither wanted to be the one to follow. We may see that play-out again between them throughout the Season, which could result in some unexpected wins.

On one occasion I recall MvP hot on Wout van Aert's wheel, when WvA was accelerating off the front. MvP had little trouble passing Toon Aerts with ease to mark the move. Perhaps MvP didn't want to chase his countryman down, although he could have easily done so, as it was pretty obvious that MvP is still on form to win?

It wasn't really because he was a fellow countryman. Lars just took the right moment and both V Aert and VD Poel where looking at each other to close the gap. VD Poel won't give away a present like that to lose his first race. V Aert probably though it was up to VD Poel to close since he is the one to beat, and VD Poel though V Aert needed the win more as he hasn't won yet and is World Champion.

It is going to be interesting to see how the season continues. VD Poel came of the mountainbike on great form while V Aert still seems to grow. But V Aert wants to do the impossible by doing the spring classics and most of the CX races. While even Boom who only done around 10 CX races last year missed endurance for the classics last year.

It's certainly impossible to do them all in peak form. If you had to scrap one of: early season crosses, world championships, spring classics, I know what I'd choose. I think that is in large part the simple explanation of VDP outright dominance in CX right now (apart from VDP being a fantastic and unbelievably talented rider ofcourse, perhaps the outright best on any given day regardless of Van Aerts form).

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:23 pm 

Vdp has better skills on the bike and seems to enjoy cycling more than wva.
When i see WvA on his bike i always think he is sitting way deep in front, his handlebar seems so low what makes the technical sections harder + jumping is more difficult.
In the race saturday he lost much time due 2 not jumping!
He should get over his fear of falling, FAST!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:27 pm 

VDP is a once in a generation natural talent, that's for sure. The Peter Sagan of CX.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:08 pm 

I think we'll see WvA move to the road permanently in the next year or two. Would be very surprised in QSF didn't snatch him up. Or, God help us, Sky.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:58 pm 

LeDuke wrote:
I think we'll see WvA move to the road permanently in the next year or two. Would be very surprised in QSF didn't snatch him up. Or, God help us, Sky.

He is already riding the classics next year (at least those for whom his team gets a wildcard), so if it goes as he pleases he maybe makes the definitive jump the year after. QS indeed seems the best fit, a new Belgium leading man after Boonen is gone. About Sky, VD Poel once said in a interview that he really likes them. Something I don't understand at all since he is an intuitive rider, not really programmed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:43 pm 

Well, VdP is staying with Cross/MTB until 2020.

Sky, or any other current team for that matter, might not exist at that point in time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:53 pm 

Norregard wrote:
VDP is a once in a generation natural talent, that's for sure. The Peter Sagan of CX.

man pro cycling more than any other sport is so what have you done for me lately.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Nys#Major_results

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:35 pm 

Norregard wrote:

I dunno. Road racing is so powerful right now that the only way to find out if someone is the "Peter Sagan of XYZ" is for them to switch to road and compete against Peter Sagan. Seems like money and competition-wise everything on track*, CX and XC is secondary to the road for drawing in the very top talent. And I say that as a huge fan of Nino Schurter, but I wonder what his record would be like if riders like Sagan hadn't ditched XC early on to get a guaranteed payday on the road.

* Apart from the pure match sprinters.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:15 am 

petepeterson wrote:
Norregard wrote:

man pro cycling more than any other sport is so what have you done for me lately.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sven_Nys#Major_results

Not sure how you've come to that post. Sven Nys was the once in a generation natural talent of his generation. (At first I was even going to post 'VDP is the Sven Nys of his generation but I couldn't find a good counterpart for WVA in the older generation, perhaps Wellens of Albert).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:51 am 

wingguy wrote:
Norregard wrote:

I dunno. Road racing is so powerful right now that the only way to find out if someone is the "Peter Sagan of XYZ" is for them to switch to road and compete against Peter Sagan. Seems like money and competition-wise everything on track*, CX and XC is secondary to the road for drawing in the very top talent. And I say that as a huge fan of Nino Schurter, but I wonder what his record would be like if riders like Sagan hadn't ditched XC early on to get a guaranteed payday on the road.

* Apart from the pure match sprinters.

Oh, I didn't mean it in a literal head-to-head way. I was referring to VDPs happy go lucky, little bit extravagant on the bike, making everything look so easy style and attitude.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:07 pm 

I don't know if you are dutch, but if you hear VDP talking he is besides the having fun bit not like Sagan.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:25 pm 

No, indeed. You can see/hear that vdp comes from a good family, well educated, has good manners.
Sagan is the total opposite, only thing he can, is ride a bike, real good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:29 am 

Feeling for Katie Compton, damn asthma attacks during the race.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:28 am 

Sam Bennett was looking impressive in Turkey. Maybe not against top tier sprinters, but I'm wondering if he is going to "step up" his performance next year. Shame about his tumble on that last corner.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 pm 

Think it's safe to say we won't see Dumoulin fighting Froome this year. With only 30 TT km's he might look elsewhere. It looks like the ASO keeps their faith in Bardet, Pinot and Barguil while they are never going to beat Froome. Quintana got a good shot at it (if he's rested) but I got no idea how he is going to survive the 21,7km of cobbles on stage 9.

Great course tho, I'm already looking forward to stage 9 and there are some really great mountain stages, lets hope stage 17 going to be fireworks as a 65km mountain stage.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6686 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1412 413 414 415 416446 Next