2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wingguy

by wingguy

KWalker wrote:anyone know what Jenny Risved's incoherent Instagram posts about the UCI, POC, etc were about?

I just read that Pinkbike interview with her trade team manager. Their side of the story, in short, is that Swedish Cycling demanded that they sign a contract to race Worlds in full POC including helmet and glasses which contravened existing personal sponsorship contracts. She and her manager said no, as did other athletes, so Swedish Cycling said 'fine, we won't send anyone to the Worlds'.

Less fun than what's usually on Jenny Rissved's Instagram :P

boysa

by boysa

That is completely absurd. The people at Swedish Cycling all need to have their heads examined.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

boysa wrote:That is completely absurd. The people at Swedish Cycling all need to have their heads examined.

Seriously.

She's a reigning OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST. And only 24 years old, IIRC. And, like or not, she's one of the most marketable female cyclists on the planet. Winner + good person + good looking = marketing gold.

I understand why they *tried* to do what they did, but did they really think that Scott-SRAM were just going to roll over and let it happen? They have sponsors of their own to appease.

gravity

by gravity

wingguy wrote:No kidding, they're 20 years old. Did you see the full picture back then? I know I sure as hell didn't! :oops:

Well they have all the experienced ppl around them in their development team to advise them.

You can quit being an asshole then pls.

wingguy

by wingguy

gravity wrote:Well they have all the experienced ppl around them in their development team to advise them.

Do they though? And are they obliged to listen? Back to Vegas, pretty much anyone who ever lost everything had people around begging them to stop doing it. People make stupid decisions all the time without there being anything sinister plot forcing their hand.

You can quit being an asshole then pls.

Congratulations. You win today's 'thinnest skin I've ever seen on the internet' award. :shock:

ave

by ave

Her manager will learn to make contracts that exclude the w/c, and the olympics.
She is not racing for her team, so I'd say her county has a right to say on what to wear.

wingguy

by wingguy

True, but (according to them) they had no advance notice that this would be the case and it hasn't been the case before, therefore she has existing sponsorship deals (deals that the athlete makes a living from) saying she would wear certain helmets, glasses, shoes etc in all comps including European and World Champs. Did Swedish cycling expect those to disappear overnight?

Surely the role of a national federation is to facilitate the participation and success of their top athletes in international competitions - not force them to comply or go *f##k* themselves.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

wingguy wrote:Surely the role of a national federation is to facilitate the participation and success of their top athletes in international competitions - not force them to comply or go *f##k* themselves.

That's what you would think but I'm sure, as with so many government bureaucracies, the organization is run more for the benefit of those it employs than it is for those whose mission it is to help - ie the athletes!

wingguy

by wingguy

That's what I was thinking. In the more overtly corrupt nations it's things like administrators flying first class and getting hotel suites and conference rooms booked for themselves while athletes fly coach (or even pay their own way with a vague promise of future compensation) and stay in fleapits. But even in reputable federations you can get administrators who think that they are the real players in the game, and the athletes are simply the pieces they move around the board. Sometimes that might be somewhat true in a program that produces a wealth of talent, but Sweden only has one female World Cup XC racer and they've managed to politic their way out of entering her in the biggest race of the year.

It's an epic failure of Swedish Cycling understanding what their job is, IMO.

djcharlou

by djcharlou

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/samuel-sanchez-tests-positive-in-out-of-competition-control/

Ok that year it's clearly release on purpose. 1 day before the Giro it's a positive from Pirazzi. 1 day before Le Tour it's from Cardoso and now this. Is this some kind of advertising ?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

pictures of pro stuff in the pro discussion

maquisard

by maquisard

The UCI pretending that it is tackling doping in cycling...

seaneT1

by seaneT1

It's quite beautiful, but I think it could be better if the flag was bigger maybe, like wrapping fully around the down tube or something like that...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

GHRP-2 is the newest peptide lifters and strength athletes have been taking for 2-3 years now. It's actually surprising that the UCI has a test for it- first I've seen in any sport. But just more evidence that stuff is easily just as dirty as ever.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike