Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6614 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1425 426 427 428 429441 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 6:36 pm
Posts: 417
Location: France
nathanong87 wrote:
i don’t doubt the existence of motor doping or whatever but fabian has won plenty of other races in dare i say , similar fashion, without any funky cadence or hand gesture analysis on them against the same dudes. Seems to correspond and cohere as a truth claim.

What's more efficient : EPO or motor doping or both at the same time ?
Maybe in his next book Gaimon will tell about the operation Puerto and who was Luigi.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:12 pm
Posts: 323
Location: San Francisco
Please enlighten on the complexity of the sport which you reference? Is it morals? Paycheck for performance? Win at all costs? Blindly follow the herd?

Possibly your professional cycling background can help me better understand?

jooo wrote:
"But he knows what he did?"

Have 2 solid seasons worth of stage races that includes winning a TDF? I'd sign up for that :thumbup:

IMO the fact that you've so easily jumped to moral high ground shows you could take some time to further grasp the complexity of sport.


Top
   
Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:47 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 am
Posts: 351
Location: Seattle, WA
ghisallo2003 wrote:
bilwit wrote:
sfo423 wrote:
I feel so sad for the Sir. It really must have been hell. Taking drugs to shed weight under the guise of allergies or some nonsense. Thank goodness for money and good doctors (read TUE) and lost laptops.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/11/news/wiggins-anti-doping-probe-living-hell_452092


The investigation had little to do with the TUEs you reference, which shows that you are as uninformed as all these other smear campaign media drones. The TUEs were not part of the investigation because--all ethics aside--they were legally prescribed and taken. There was nothing to investigate. The UKAD investigation that was concluded was for the "jiffy bag" taken after the last stage of the 2011 Dauphine. I must emphasize the word after, because it was administered after he already won the stage and overall. The Daily Mail put this on a headline and implied that Triamcinolone was taken, however this doesn't make any sense because if they were trying to cheat, they wouldn't take it AFTER the race already ended and, moreover, he participated (and won) the 2011 National Road Race a week later, so any PED would have been flagged there if there was any (this is a moot point anyway since he crashed out of the 2011 Tour).

What is shady is Sky's excuses for having no medical records and the laptop being stolen is pretty absurd, but the fact is that the freaking DAILY MAIL put out this story which led to a 14-month long UKAD investigation for an allegation that didn't even make sense. Wiggins would be right to pursue legal action against them for defamation. It was unsubstantiated from the beginning.


The allegation would make sense If the contents of the jiffy were used on the final day, even after the stage, which would technically requires a TUE, or took place in a country in which this would be unlawful.


Why would they take the TUE hours after Dauphine ended if they intended to use it for the Tour? Like I said, given that he did the Nationals within a week, it would have been flagged there.

Rondje wrote:
bilwit wrote:
What is shady is Sky's excuses for having no medical records and the laptop being stolen is pretty absurd, but the fact is that the freaking DAILY MAIL put out this story which led to a 14-month long UKAD investigation for an allegation that didn't even make sense. Wiggins would be right to pursue legal action against them for defamation. It was unsubstantiated from the beginning.


A bit of a contradiction here. You say a 14 month long investigation didn't make sense, while at the same you call Sky's excuses shady. It is more then shady that a very professional organisation like Sky "lost" a laptop and have erased medical records to hide their shady business. All these things exactly show why they where investigated and also why I don't believe they are innocent.


The investigation didn't make sense because it was solely based on hearsay put out by The Daily Mail about alleged "cheating" that took place AFTER a race already concluded, where it would not benefit them. If they wanted to cheat, they could have easily just shot him up out of competition, closer to the Tour or--in this case--before Dauphine started. Like I said, it's all ultimately worthless anyways since he was DNF at the Tour that year after breaking his collarbone.

For those of you who think they used the TUEs to legally shoot him up with PEDs before the Tour and that it's proof of some systemic Team Sky/British Cycling conspiracy:

(note that Fluticasone/Salbutamol are used in inhalers that used to require a TUE until 2010)

2003 - DNF at the Giro due to allergies
2003 - Cofidis - French Cycling Federation grants TUE for Fluticasone and Salbutamol
2004 - CA - Authorization to compete at the summer Olympics using Fluticasone and Salbutamol under IOC doping regulations after a series of lung function tests by Andrea Wooles
2005 - 2008 - FDJ - Went back to IOC each year for renewal--lung function tests, nasal endoscopy, etc
2008 - High Road - TUE for Salbutamol, Budesonide & Formoterol.
2009 - Garmin - Repeat of 2008 High Road TUE
2010 - Sky - none
2011-2013 - Sky - Triamcinolone

Looks like someone with a history of hay fever & asthma to me. Also note that they don't need a TUE to take PEDs out of competition, as long it's out of their system come test time. The fact that they applied for the Triamcinolone TUEs altogether shows that they wanted to be transparent about its usage.

_________________
BMC Teammachine SLR01 (2018) | Rodriguez Rainier (2015)


Last edited by bilwit on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:10 pm
Posts: 570
Day of competition, including afterwards is in competition and a TUE is required.

Why take it? Long term run-up to TdF.

The story is not yet concluded.


Last edited by ghisallo2003 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm
Posts: 1521
Quote:
Also note that they don't need a TUE to take PEDs out of competition, as long it's out of their system come test time.


They can't legally take banned substances out of competition. They would still need a TUE for a legit medical usage.

In isolation the TUEs look bad for Sky but I'd love to see a list of all TUEs granted for the same year. If TUEs were public information, they wouldn't try to game the system by asking for them for performance reasons under the guise of medical reasons.

_________________
Colnago C59


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:33 am
Posts: 1289
Location: Asti, ITALIA
bilwit wrote:

For those of you who think they used the TUEs to legally shoot him up with PEDs before the Tour and that it's proof of some systemic Team Sky/British Cycling conspiracy:

(note that Fluticasone/Salbutamol are used in inhalers that used to require a TUE until 2010)

2003 - DNF at the Giro due to allergies
2003 - Cofidis - French Cycling Federation grants TUE for Fluticasone and Salbutamol
2004 - CA - Authorization to compete at the summer Olympics using Fluticasone and Salbutamol under IOC doping regulations after a series of lung function tests by Andrea Wooles
2005 - 2008 - FDJ - Went back to IOC each year for renewal--lung funsion tests, nasal endoscopy, etc
2008 - High Road - TUE for Salbutamol, Budesonide & Formoterol.
2009 - Garmin - Repeat of 2008 High Road TUE
2010 - Sky - none
2011-2013 - Sky - Triamcinolone



interesting. where does this detailed list come from? thank you


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:09 am
Posts: 82
I want to believe that timeline. The last entry is where it falls apart for me. Triamcinolone injections are used to treat severe acute allergic reactions, not chronic.

So does that timeline illustrate:
1. chronic allergies and TUE use or
2. chronic TUE abuse or
3. chronic allergies & acute TUE abuse (Triamcinolone @ Sky)

2 or 3 seems the most plausible, especially 3. Dude has allergy problems and treated with allergy drugs (Fluticasone and Salbutamol), then the maestros at Sky use it as a misdirection for using Triamcinolone.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 am
Posts: 351
Location: Seattle, WA
ghisallo2003 wrote:
Day of competition, including afterwards is in competition and a TUE is required.

Why take it? Long term run-up to TdF.


Why would they rush to take it hours after Dauphine ended when they have a legal TUE to use it for the Tour where it would be more useful? The allegation does not make any sense.

AJS914 wrote:
Quote:
Also note that they don't need a TUE to take PEDs out of competition, as long it's out of their system come test time.


They can't legally take banned substances out of competition. They would still need a TUE for a legit medical usage.

In isolation the TUEs look bad for Sky but I'd love to see a list of all TUEs granted for the same year. If TUEs were public information, they wouldn't try to game the system by asking for them for performance reasons under the guise of medical reasons.


Well yeah, that's what I'm referring to. If they actually wanted to illegally cheat, they would do so out of competition--no need for a TUE, especially for things like this where the half life is around two weeks. In other words, why would they rush to illegally take it at the end of Dauphine when they already have legal permission to take it at a point where it would be more beneficial to them?

pastronef wrote:
interesting. where does this detailed list come from? thank you


the leaked Fancy Bears records..

thePrince wrote:
I want to believe that timeline. The last entry is where it falls apart for me. Triamcinolone injections are used to treat severe acute allergic reactions, not chronic.

So does that timeline illustrate:
1. chronic allergies and TUE use or
2. chronic TUE abuse or
3. chronic allergies & acute TUE abuse (Triamcinolone @ Sky)

2 or 3 seems the most plausible, especially 3. Dude has allergy problems and treated with allergy drugs (Fluticasone and Salbutamol), then the maestros at Sky use it as a misdirection for using Triamcinolone.


I actually do believe they leaned towards Triamcinolone because of whatever unquantified performance enhancement they could possibly get, as well as to nuke hay fever or potential hay fever. I still don't understand why WADA doesn't just do a test to prove if the dosages prescribed effects performance or not and by how much. And yes, even after all this mudslinging, there is still no factual evidence or forgone scientific conclusion to say that Triamcinolone definitively enhances performance (there's an article on Velonews or somewhere that quotes several medical practitioners on their opinion and none of them could agree, some even suggested it would be detrimental due to the loss of muscle). We know that guys like David Millar took an unknown amount to balance out the testosterone/EPO/etc he was taking at the same time but a one-off at the dosage prescribed? It would be very easy for them to prove either way.

I personally had a pretty bad case of it this summer for several months but still rode my bike five days a week (can't imagine doing a competition--let alone a three week grand tour at the highest level--in this state, especially when I wear contacts).

_________________
BMC Teammachine SLR01 (2018) | Rodriguez Rainier (2015)


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm
Posts: 1521
bilwit wrote:

If they actually wanted to illegally cheat, they would do so out of competition--no need for a TUE, especially for things like this where the half life is around two weeks. In other words, why would they rush to illegally take it at the end of Dauphine when they already have legal permission to take it at a point where it would be more beneficial to them?



There are out of competition tests so they can't just simply time this stuff to out of competition. I guess one could try that and they not answer the door. I think they slam you if you miss a number of tests.

_________________
Colnago C59


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:46 pm
Posts: 816
Location: Netherlands
AJS914 wrote:
Quote:
Also note that they don't need a TUE to take PEDs out of competition, as long it's out of their system come test time.


They can't legally take banned substances out of competition. They would still need a TUE for a legit medical usage.

In isolation the TUEs look bad for Sky but I'd love to see a list of all TUEs granted for the same year. If TUEs were public information, they wouldn't try to game the system by asking for them for performance reasons under the guise of medical reasons.


Don't have the specific number of Sky for that year, but here is a list of the total amount of TUE's granted that year:
Image
A Dutch Journalist did some research in 2014 and came to this list: https://twitter.com/thijszonneveld/stat ... 4516953089
Little translation: Geen reactie means no reaction, and all teams with text instead of a number didn't share except for Omega Pharma who shared it with the newspaper but not for publication.
Also funny that Garmin-Sharp shared while BMC couldn't share because of American privacy.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:12 pm
Posts: 2922
Location: eh?
Image

Wow, look how much healthier these cyclists became in a mere 6 years. Like high speed evolution of the human species. :P

_________________
wheelsONfire wrote:
When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:58 am
Posts: 1379
Location: 604
Tinea Pedis wrote:
petepeterson wrote:
I miss steve tilford and his blog too. Unlike PG the guy clearly wasn't trying to make a living out of his writing on the sport.

Because there's something wrong with writing books after a career in sport?
Cycling fans eh, decry pros for not speaking out and for being too vanilla. Lambaste them when they do. Screwed either way.


So I wasn't very articulate. Totally support speaking out and I like buying/reading books about cycling. Bought many books including Hamilton's. I just don't care much for PG's approach to carving out an income post retirement.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 am
Posts: 554
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tinea Pedis wrote:
Cycling fans eh, decry pros for not speaking out and for being too vanilla. Lambaste them when they do. Screwed either way.


It's not about that mate and you know it. I completely agree with @nathanong87 that the timing is so convenience to him as he tends to profit directly from the sales of his book. There's a financial motives for PG and that stinks.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm
Posts: 1521
The last Velonews podcast discussed PG's book. They both liked it and didn't like it. They felt that Gaimon mixes up facts and opinions in such a way that it would be hard for many readers to separate the two. Like the Cancellara thing, he does says he's basically stating his opinion regarding a youtube video but he also throws in some insider innuendo which make it seem like he has insider knowledge. I'd read it if the library had it to check out but I wouldn't pay $20 for it.

_________________
Colnago C59


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:08 am
Posts: 8408
Location: Geelong
DurianGrey wrote:
Do you think that a no-name pack fodder dude making noise about one of the greatest stars in the sport would have been seriously listened to in 2010?

Exactly. Also, think how much power Cancellara commanded when he was in the peloton. As if Gaimon, who struggled year on year for a contract, was going to call Fabian out and paint a cobble sized target on his back. We've seen what happens when this occurs, contracts miraculously seem to dry up for the whistle blower.

Also, this is one paragraph in a whole book. At no point did he pick it up and run with it as some sort of headline revelation that 'you'll have to buy the book to find out what I really think'. Phil is saying this is a mountain made out of a molehill and he's right. Every, every autobiography has little hooks and tasty morsels in them. Hamilton's did, some of which have have no more evidence to claims he makes than Phil's opinion on Fabian. Yet here we are with people getting insanely self righteous about a book that - if it didn't have these features - would be a meh throwaway doorstop. That Gaimon is daring to have the seeming audacity make money out of this book notwithstanding.

I applaud Phil for having the balls to drop his thoughts. I'm no lawyer and he could be in a little strife, but heaven forbid future cycling books go a milquetoast route out of fear of retribution for an opinion.

_________________
VeloKicks
The Gram
The Men of Steel


Last edited by Tinea Pedis on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:13 am 


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6614 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1425 426 427 428 429441 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Pirelli Pzero Velo (and their varience) tire discussion thread.

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Everything wheels

Hexsense

33

5155

Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:23 am

TobinHatesYou View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2017 Madonne 9.2

in Road

nycjwi

1

1464

Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:27 pm

FIJIGabe View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 2017 Mavic

in Everything wheels

gitsome

12

1565

Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:30 pm

TheKaiser View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Prologo Zero C3 CPC 2017

in Road

marcelflash

3

920

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:48 am

marcelflash View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Colnago V2-R 2017

[ Go to page: 15 6 7 8 9 ]

in Road

3Pio

120

21771

Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Calnago View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chris47, HammerTime2, mrlobber, ms6073 and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited