2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Damn, I really thought GVA was older than he is. If we go back to Gilbert's magical season of 2011 he was 28. So GVA might be a little late to be his successor and I don't think climbs well enough to win Liege.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Rondje wrote:I can't recall GvA ever having good results on the Ardenne classics. Not Like Gilbert did at least. Maybe the AGR is his chance in the Ardennes with the new final, but I don't see him out sprint Matthews.
In a post race interview on the Belgium television he also said he and Gilbert are the same sort of riders. That's why they couldn't ride together because they always wanted to attack on the same time. But he said it was great to race against him for the same reason and because Gilbert always wants to ride.

If it's up to personal taste I like Gilbert more as a rider then GvA. Not questioning his qualities because he's been riding great the last 2/3 years, but I can't really recall a time where GvA actually set up an attack. He rides with his head, following other's when he feels its a good attack. Thats all cool and a big part of racing, but the more active riders are more fun to watch.

martinko wrote:GvA doesn't battle, he just sucks wheels of riders who battle. :D

I'm quoting both of you and hoping you're watching G-W right now.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Haydn

by Haydn

Good finish, & good job GVA!

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Man, van Avermaet is just ungodly strong this spring.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Rondje

by Rondje

LeDuke wrote:I'm quoting both of you and hoping you're watching G-W right now.

I watched. And I'm more then happy! If you've also seen my 2nd post you see I got nothing against him, just want him to ride more like this (can't really call my reaction the same as someone who says he is just a wheelsucker). This is what I wanted to see!

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm still scratching my head over Sagan taking the other two out the back, and then not closing the gap.

Alternately, I'm wondering if they thought the main field was a lot closer than they were I reality, and were throwing their cards into the hat for a bunch kick.

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Way to go GVA!
Colnago e Campagnolo

Rondje

by Rondje

Going to be a hard RVV for GvA tho. With this form and al his wins, he will be the marked man. Even heavier then Sagan.

Every Belgium spring classic has been great so far, wonder what RVV will bring us! (altho I can't watch it :( )

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Tactical cock up by the looks of it. I suspect Terpstra and Soren were told to sit up for Gaviria and Matthews. I suspect Sagan was having none of it but was over-confident in being able to bridge back.

martinko

by martinko

LeDuke wrote:I'm quoting both of you and hoping you're watching G-W right now.

Yep, was nice to see it this way :)

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Jeez, this winning this has become a habit for GvA! I still prefer Gilbert in full flight back in the day tho. His Lombardia victories never got as much kudos but I was lucky enough to be there for both (well 2nd one was miserable weather so maybe not so lucky). I prob just have more attachment to those personally but both were really beautiful wins. 1st for panache, 2nd for grit on a truly horrid day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vermu

by Vermu

kkibbler wrote:Tactical cock up by the looks of it. I suspect Terpstra and Soren were told to sit up for Gaviria and Matthews. I suspect Sagan was having none of it but was over-confident in being able to bridge back.

Looked just like it and when Terpstra got a go, it was too late. Good for GvA bad for those 3

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Multebear

by Multebear

Hmm... What happened today at GW? Sagan was tired of the other ones sitting on his wheel? According to Soren Kragh, Terpstra spat him in the face in the finale out of frustration over his riding.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

nathanong87 wrote:

also aesthetics is everything

Dat saddle doe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Multebear wrote:Hmm... What happened today at GW? Sagan was tired of the other ones sitting on his wheel? According to Soren Kragh, Terpstra spat him in the face in the finale out of frustration over his riding.

From my TV observations, it looked like SKA just didn't have the gas to do more.

Dick move by Terpstra if true.