2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Did the 'patron' concept disappear because the sport has become too commercialized? Or just that nobody suitable has shown up?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

Rondje wrote:Dumoulin said in an interview that it was his own "rookie" mistake to be in the back at the start of the race. Also said he had bad legs. I hope he has the good ones back tomorrow.

What was worrisome was seeing how short winded he was while talking about that rookie error....
albeit he was on the trainer spinning down the legs but other days he also gave interviews & did not seem so wasted

Today was obviously very hard & hope he recovers to ride well tomorrow
Because overall this has been an exciting Giro
Will be nice if going into the TT there are many options for outcome :wink:

flying

by flying

antonioiglesius wrote:Did the 'patron' concept disappear because the sport has become too commercialized? Or just that nobody suitable has shown up?

I think the none suitable option

I think back & remember guys like Hinault
If you didn't listen to what he was yelling he would make you pay later in some other way

Or even in a sense folks like LA when he was shutting down Simeoni same power to control
But have not seen that kind of temperament in the Peloton in awhile

53x12

by 53x12

AJS914 wrote:
boysa wrote:I think it would be much better if this concept of waiting disappeared completely. Where do you draw the line? Mechanical? Nature break? Crash? Too much gray area, IMHO. Sure, if something happens in the early moments of a stage, entirely different story. But once things are getting to the sharp end? No. Never expect anyone to wait for you. Adrenaline is flowing, hearts are racing.

I think the issue is that there is no longer a 'patron' in the peloton. In the old days, you'd go to the patron, request a little break to take a sh!t, and if he agreed, he'd control the peloton.

In the old days millions weren't at stake in terms of rider salaries, bonuses, team expectations, advertisers being happy that expectations are met...etc. Pro cycling is vastly different now than 20-25 years ago.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

boysa

by boysa

TwiggyTN wrote:Guys, VN has been tossed from a grand tour for employing the atomic sticky bottle up to the front group and we're surprised with his questionable character??? Really?

Does anyone think he didn't have a good reason for that incident? Come on. He wanted out of the race, and either his team or his contract wouldn't allow it. I believe he didn't even want to start, but they were forcing him to race. So... he made sure he could go home.

Not saying he's an angel, but that incident was his way of making a statement against his team. Just my opinion...
Last edited by boysa on Sat May 27, 2017 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

micky

by micky

Today fireworks must start on Monte Grappa otherwise the last climb of Foza is way too easy for make any serious time gap.

Vermu

by Vermu

Movistar does have the team to pull it of. Though I hope NQ isnt alone during descend, all that hard work would be wasted.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rondje

by Rondje

Vermu wrote:Movistar does have the team to pull it of. Though I hope NQ isnt alone during descend, all that hard work would be wasted.

But Is NQ strong enough?
The only climb he really impressed me was Blockhaus. On everything else he was brought back relatively easy or he canceled his jump while teammates where ahead. On the dolomites he looked tired, yesterday as well. His team seems stronger then he can handle. Or he indeed wanted to win the Giro with as less energy wasted as possible, but personally I don't believe you can take such a big risk by waiting till the last stage.

Maybe Nibali tries to attack on the Grappa descent, but then he's solo in the 10k valley with not that big of a gap.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Rooting for TD, hope he can hang today and take it in the TT on Sunday

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

if TD recovers, he might not lose but gain time today. remember stage 18 and D's bossing around during last kms, playing with NQ and VN like kids? both Quin and Nibs are toothless sharks when it comes to climbing - their "bites" are too weak to cause any damage. nuff said Pinot or guys like Hirt (!!!) can match or beat those two.

what I like about Big Tom is that he has a personality and he's not affraid to speak his mind openly or confront his oponents - although in a friendly way with a smile on his face (again stage 18 and his post race "chat" with Nairo). and - more importantly - he rides like hell. maybe he's the second coming we've been waiting for? :lol:
Last edited by tymon_tm on Sat May 27, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

also, I sincerely feel sorry for all of you who have to endure Eurosport UK's coverage. I've watched the re-runs of last two stages (18 and 19) on said channel and god my ears bled.. those commentators have nothing to say, nothing to contribute, and absolutely no insight. it's just constant mumbling about "yeee how strong he is" and BS like that. just awful.

please, for your own sake, learn polish and experience some proper cycling commentary on PL Eurosport :thumbup:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I am afraid what we are seeing is the new shape of cycling and it is not as exciting or engaging as it used to be. Yes, there is some excitement and head-to-head threshold P/W racing, but overall the sport is muted compared to past eras. I suspect this is attributable to shortened stages, better understanding of physiological limits over a GT, money, WT points, and a more levelled playing field. We just dont see the level of risk, commitment and inter-day variability that used to generate excitement.

I am enjoying the Giro, but look back at the Tour of the 80s and I am afraid it was just better.

Ulver

by Ulver

tymon_tm wrote:also, I sincerely feel sorry for all of you who have to endure Eurosport UK's coverage. I've watched the re-runs of last two stages (18 and 19) on said channel and god my ears bled.. those commentators have nothing to say, nothing to contribute, and absolutely no insight. it's just constant mumbling about "yeee how strong he is" and BS like that. just awful.

please, for your own sake, learn polish and experience some proper cycling commentary on PL Eurosport :thumbup:

Rubbish, their coverage has been absolutely fine. Rob Hatch is a good commentator and they have plenty of decent input from Brian Smith and Sean Kelly (once you've grown to love him) and they've had guys like Matt Hayman and Stevo Cummings drop in for the day. If we are missing out so much please give some examples of the insight provided by your commentators. With most non British commentary that I've endured (American, Italian, Spanish, Argentine) there is literally not one gap in the constant flow of verbal diarhea from the commentator, mainly spewing out that which is patently obvious to anybody watching. Maybe it is the difference in cultures and tastes?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I'll take anyone over the Phil and Paul skit on US coverage - even foreign language commentators I cannot understand!

Eurosport commentators sound good to me. All of them - even Carlton Kirby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

ghisallo2003 wrote:I am afraid what we are seeing is the new shape of cycling and it is not as exciting or engaging as it used to be. Yes, there is some excitement and head-to-head threshold P/W racing, but overall the sport is muted compared to past eras. I suspect this is attributable to shortened stages, better understanding of physiological limits over a GT, money, WT points, and a more levelled playing field. We just dont see the level of risk, commitment and inter-day variability that used to generate excitement.

I am enjoying the Giro, but look back at the Tour of the 80s and I am afraid it was just better.
I agree. I think the increased money has resulted in a safety first attitude. Nobody wants to risk blowing up. In the past more breakaways appeared to succeed, at least in my memory. Nowadays the GC contenders wait until the last climb, and often the last couple of K's. The mountain stages are becoming boring. Over the last few years it's been flat stages in the wind that have shaken things up and produced exciting racing. I'm not normally a nostalgic person and wouldn't go back to the bikes we had in the 60's, but there was more panache and risk taking with the racing.