2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wingguy

by wingguy

kkibbler wrote:I'd like to see numbers for how quickly the other GC guys went up the umbrella pass vs TD. Where might I find that? 'Cos it usually takes me more than 2 mins to take a dump.

It was about 1.15 when he was back on the bike, stretched to 1.45 as he was getting back to speed while the group was smashing it, then he bought it back to 1.10 for a long time before losing again in the last few k of the climb.

Ulver

by Ulver

Stepped away for a few minutes but from what Flecha was saying on ES has there been some reaction/some confrontation?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Ulver wrote:I think TD needs to move to a team with a better GC set up. He has all the ability, just needs some support.

He has the support, but Keldermann would have been pretty clutch today and was taken out by that moto incident. He has pretty great domestiques on paper.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

IchDien

by IchDien

God I hate Quintana.

wingguy

by wingguy

Ulver wrote:Stepped away for a few minutes but from what Flecha was saying on ES has there been some reaction/some confrontation?

All Flecha said was that TD ignored Nibs when they crossed on the podium steps. And he's resisted the encouragement from journalists to criticise the other teams/riders.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

perhaps they thought he was sick? commentators said so. either way, they should have waited for a minute

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yeah, no class. I've been loving Dumuolin's character and still hoping for Nibali to find a way back up... but not like this. You can't cheer for anyone who finished in front of TD in these circumstances.

Sad day for sportsmanship.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

in another interview

DML said he believed that movistar waited for 'around a minute' but with steven coat hangers up the road, understood that 'they (teams) can't just let steven get minutes on them either, so they had* to continue riding'

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Yeah I didn't see any attacks from movistar or merida. They were just going along for a while before any attacks came

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

it looked as if Merida kept the strong tempo with Pellizotti leading the group. I wouldn't call it "waiting"

FWIW the race is far from over, and given the shape D's in, he might still put some time over his rivals in the mountains. he did like 30+ km solo with stomach issues - and lost just 2 minutes. THAT was performance of the day, not Nibali gaining just few secs and being left with easy win. everyone - including myself - seemed to doubt TD's ability to stay with the big guns during decisive moments, but today's stage shows we're very wrong about his capabilities. of course a lot might happen on those few upcoming stages, but after today's stage it looks he might have a decent lead even before the ITT. regardless, if he wins this race, it's gonna be the most spectacular GT triumph since Oscar Pereiro.... or even before that :lol: :thumbup:
Last edited by tymon_tm on Tue May 23, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Hmm, it's a bit like Nairo "not attacking" on the neutralised Stelvio descent in 2014 yet still taking plenty of time off his competitors, he wasn't exactly soft-pedalling.

Anyway, still plenty of days to go, still all to play for
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

Did they need to stop? No. Did TD expect them to stop? No. Could they have slowed more? Sure.

There is no prize for the classiest rider, or the most honourable, but of all the GC contenders, in my opinion TD would be head and shoulders above all of them.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Dr.Dos wrote:
ichobi wrote:If Movistar says Quintana is undertrained, they must be sandbagging hard. Look how many mountain stages/ races he won this year. Heck, Valverde wiped the floor in all Spanish races. I hope he spare something for the Tour or else it will be incredibly boring cause you know Contador will be 3 mins behind Froome by the 2nd rest day.

Speaking about the second rest day, this is how it will look at the Bahrain-Merida team hotel:

Jus' sayin.

s/second/third/ though in the Giro, obviously.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

cdncyclist wrote:, in my opinion TD would be "head and shoulders" above all of them.

Is that a comment on the hair? hahahaha this guy is just full of sponsorship opportunities. Team Giant Charmin powered by Head&Shoulders next year.

Rondje

by Rondje

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
cdncyclist wrote:, in my opinion TD would be "head and shoulders" above all of them.

Is that a comment on the hair? hahahaha this guy is just full of sponsorship opportunities. Team Giant Charmin powered by Head&Shoulders next year.

:lol: Makes you wonder why Alpecin dropped riders like him and Geschke for riders like Tony Martin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com