2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

djcharlou wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mikel-landa-signs-two-year-deal-with-movistar/

It's done, Landa at Moviestar. Bring on TDF2018 ! Or, at least, Giro and Vuelta

Any word on $$$ over those two years for Landa?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gravity

by gravity

Quite curious how did Team Sky secured two more youngsters (rumoured, not yet confirmed) in Pavel Sivakov and Egan Bernal into their roster.

Sky are not really known to be a team to develop youngster. Dombrowski, Boswell, Josh Edmondson all relatively quiet riding for the team as compared to the hype before making the leap to WT.

Why would any neo-pro sign for the team is quite a curious case.

wingguy

by wingguy

Because it's the biggest team with the brightest lights and a lot of rewards if you can make it. Even if it could be definitively proven that Sky's approach was crap for developing young riders plenty would still sign. Same reason hundreds of thousands go to Vegas each year :wink:

gravity

by gravity

I refused to believe it is that simple.

KB

by KB

KWalker wrote:
micky wrote:It's funny how some riders are very fast when riding at Pro Conti/Conti and then dissapear once step up to WT.
Seriously, age might be the main factor but still.... .

2016 he did the Vuelta and a few other shorter stage races, one of which he won. A few top 10s, but nothing all that wowing.

Agree. In fact I think he's gone backwards this year. I and others anticipated he would make good progress, but, IMO, his results don't stack up with that expectation.

Antoine

by Antoine

Not a bad choice I think, both are 20 and 12 years younger than Froome so they'll have 2-3 years to develop quietly before he retires.
Then they could replace him if it goes well. If not they'll find another WT team easily, like Mohoric.

And wich team is developing young riders well ? I just see Sunweb and they have already Dumoulin who is only 27.

Sivakov has been riding for BMC Development for 2 years, but what is the future for BMC ? They are looking for a sponsor .
He could go also go to Katusha or Astana or FDJ (he's living in France since he's 2) but will it be better for him ?
For Bernal it's probably Movistar or Sky.

wingguy

by wingguy

gravity wrote:I refused to believe it is that simple.

Refusing to believe an obvious answer because you don't like it is rarely the best way to find the truth :wink:

What do you think the reason might be?

maquisard

by maquisard

wingguy wrote:Refusing to believe an obvious answer because you don't like it is rarely the best way to find the truth :wink:

There is an unbelievable amount of irony in you posting that, particularly in relation to Team Sky! :smartass:

gravity

by gravity

If the only reason they sign with Sky because it is the brightest of em all then I'm afraid they dont see the full pic yet.

Froome has contract til 2020 so that makes TdF out of question. I cant imagine Froome not targeting TdF at all - except for injury. But Froome has been lucky enough to be injury free for years.

1 week races - Sky have Froome, Thomas, the Henaos, Poels, Kwiato.

Hilly classics - Kwiato, Poels (all proven winner), Rosa, Elissonde.

Boswell, Kennaugh, Swift, Cavendish, all left cos no more room for themselves to target races.

Other than original riders that was brought up from British Track Team, Sky have been buying riders that have proven success.

Im not sure where the youngster can fit in.

I think the Agents may have exploited these young riders.

53x12

by 53x12

Marcel Kittel signed a two-year deal with Katusha-Alpecin.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Willier

by Willier

Viviani to Quick step

wingguy

by wingguy

gravity wrote:If the only reason they sign with Sky because it is the brightest of em all then I'm afraid they dont see the full pic yet.

No kidding, they're 20 years old. Did you see the full picture back then? I know I sure as hell didn't! :oops:

bilwit

by bilwit

micky wrote:It's funny how some riders are very fast when riding at Pro Conti/Conti and then dissapear once step up to WT.
Seriously, age might be the main factor but still.... .

I was a bit "dissapointed" by the performance of Van Aert in Holland; I was really looking forward to him showing something at least in 1-2 stages.

gravity wrote:If the only reason they sign with Sky because it is the brightest of em all then I'm afraid they dont see the full pic yet.

Froome has contract til 2020 so that makes TdF out of question. I cant imagine Froome not targeting TdF at all - except for injury. But Froome has been lucky enough to be injury free for years.

1 week races - Sky have Froome, Thomas, the Henaos, Poels, Kwiato.

Hilly classics - Kwiato, Poels (all proven winner), Rosa, Elissonde.

Boswell, Kennaugh, Swift, Cavendish, all left cos no more room for themselves to target races.

Other than original riders that was brought up from British Track Team, Sky have been buying riders that have proven success.

Im not sure where the youngster can fit in.

I think the Agents may have exploited these young riders.

Not sure what you mean, Sky is the biggest team in pro cycling hand have one of the highest budgets and best programs out there. They can go to pretty much any race they want to. There is no better place for a young rider to develop, just look at Luke Rowe who was neo-Pro in 2012. It's a damn privilege to be on a world tour team at that age, most people are stuck on continental teams forever if at all. It's only the very top spots in grand tours that they get squeezed out of.

Look at Owain Doull's program this year: Abu Dhabi, Strade Bianche, E3, Gent-Wevelgem, Flanders, Amstel Gold, Paris-Roubaix, Fleche Wallone, Tour de Romandie, Tour of California, Tour de Suisse. Can't really get any better than that as a neo pro.

Once they hit Kennaugh's age at 27+ then that's the point in which they should start looking for more opportunities because that's when they've started hitting their physical peak.

The up-and-coming riders like Jungels, Yates, etc are still too young. I don't expect them to be real contenders until at least 2-3 more years.

KWalker

by KWalker

anyone know what Jenny Risved's incoherent Instagram posts about the UCI, POC, etc were about?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kytyree

by kytyree

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/jenny-ris ... -2017.html

I had no idea either after reading her post but there was this link that someone else posted down in the comments