Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6723 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1422 423 424 425 426449 Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:19 pm 

The news in Japan definitely shows it going along the road up Mt. Mikuni, but I can't find a Japanese source saying whether it climbs it or descends it. Hopefully they climb it, in which case that is a brutal course.
But they also say the final decision on the course will be made around March 2018, so it's still up for change.

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:19 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:19 am 

from wiki:

Traditionally an oath (from Anglo-Saxon āð, also called plight) is either a statement of fact or a promise with wording relating to something considered sacred as a sign of verity. A common legal substitute for those who conscientiously object to making sacred oaths is to give an affirmation instead. Nowadays, even when there is no notion of sanctity involved, certain promises said out loud in ceremonial or juridical purpose are referred to as oaths. "To swear" is a verb used to describe the taking of an oath, to making a solemn vow.

it's funny how something as trivial as a brand name can reflect company's standards and values.... not

DOUG wrote:

Think you'll find that the profile is of the Olympic Road Race course not the WC's.

my bad :doh:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:07 pm 

always interesting to hear from B.Eisel: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/eisel-people-always-think-we-are-a-circus-out-there/

"If someone says the first week is boring, then he has no idea about cycling. He has absolutely no idea about cycling," Eisel said. "Sorry for them but there is a lot happening and it is consuming, it is stressful. Chris Froome is probably more tired after the first week then the second week. Then people say 'it was an easy week, it was an easy day'. go watch something else!

"Honestly, we all go out there and give our best every day and teams prepare for that week. It is the same work as mountain days and sometimes it is more work because we have all the sports directors working in preparation for the first week of a Grand Tour. When you hit the mountains, it is pretty simple. Just hang on. Enjoy watching it or otherwise go out and ride your bike and then watch the final. Which is also good."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:05 pm 

Italian frame manufacturer Kuota has announced a two-year partnership with the French Pro Continental team Cofidis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:07 pm 

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:02 pm 

Rondje wrote:
bilwit wrote:
KWalker wrote:
Sweet, a chance for Froome to get some stripes. GB can easily pile on some domestiques, especially climbers to help control that race. Italy can do the same, but will botch it somehow and Spain might have a rider on the podium.

I think Thomas might be better suited and will be sent up the road but they'll probably have both be "leader" like at Rio (though Froome was cooked and just playing a decoy role). Nibali and Valverde have to be the favorites but I think Kwiatkoski will be there at the end too.

I might throw up in my mouth if Froome puts on the rainbow jersey but it would be nice to see a GC contender in general wear it.

Never seen Froome preform at a 1 day race, so doubt it's for him. There are plenty of countries with good climbers these days: France, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, GB, and Colombia can all put on a great team for the mountains. Next years WC going to be interesting as well.

Sure, lots of good climbers but:
-The French will ride largely for themselves and not commit to protecting anyone. Spain will do the same as they did the year Costa won.
-Colombia as a WC team seems largely like a crap shoot with the only strategy to have 1 rider in every move and hope they get lucky.
-Italy performed in the WC and got a result when? Yah, almost 10 years ago. Even then it wasn't on a climbing-heavy course with climbers and now they're likely more fractured with Nibali and Aru, but still a good chance.
-Netherlands is the most interesting and likely competitor to GB IMO. Lots of multifaceted riders and cards to play.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:41 pm 

GB would be the main contender in a one day event?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:07 pm 

In other news, Puck Moonen has just modeled the new Lotto Soudal kit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 pm 

LOL

Froome aint winning anything with a sketchy descent run in to the finish.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:59 pm 

Gaimon getting into the Cancellara motor thing in his book/media/twitter. Better be careful if he wants a job in cycling.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:28 am 

petepeterson wrote:
LOL

Froome aint winning anything with a sketchy descent run in to the finish.

Oh great, we can re-start the "Froome sucks at descending" argument, compare him to the top 5 descenders, and ignore the massive progress he has displayed in becoming a very adept bike handler or the difference tactics could make.

I don't think GB will be the main contender necessarily, but is one of the countries that might have a bit more selflessness in their organization. In terms of probability of winning Italy and Spain always bring riders with a high individual probability, but don't get the gold. France hasn't had a winner in 20 years and who is Colombia going to have playing a support role?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:36 am 

KWalker wrote:
France hasn't had a winner in 20 years and who is Colombia going to have playing a support role?

Errr... i dont know...? Pantano, the Henaos, Atapuma, Miguel A. Lopez, Bernal...? Uran, Quitana, Chavez can play the leader cards.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:39 am 

petepeterson wrote:
Gaimon getting into the Cancellara motor thing in his book/media/twitter. Better be careful if he wants a job in cycling.

That guy get's more media cover after his career then he did when he was active. Really seems like a guy who can't say goodbye to the spotlight. Bit weird to write something in his book based on "someone told me" and if you ask me.
He seems to have learned from Thomas Dekker his book, just swing around some names of more known riders to get attention to your book in hope it increases the sales.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:42 pm 

IMHO Gaimon knows Cancellara won't take any legal action against him. let's not kid ourselves, that's how that sort of masterpieces are being sold - one single controversy smuggles a whole pile of crap no one would bother to read otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:49 pm 

For some reason, I read Draft Animals, Gaimon's latest book in which he makes those accusations against Cancellara. While better written than his previous books, he still comes across for what he is: an ungrateful, cynical and sarcastic person.

He seems to have particular scorn for masters amateur racers. Perhaps we/they do deserve some of the criticism, but what he clearly does not understand is that the masters racers are the guys and gals that have the financial wherewithal to support his teams' sponsors. Without dudes in their 30's-50's buying all this bike crap, there would not be much reason for him to exist. He certainly fires shots at numerous top level pros as well as makes lame attempts to justify his naiveté towards Tom Danielson. Ultimately, his book does a good job of highlighting him as a person: {I'm looking around for a douche emoji right now}

Perhaps the ultimate reality check for Gaimon is that he should not be discussed in the PRO section of WW right? ;-)

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:49 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6723 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1422 423 424 425 426449 Next