2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nemeseri

by nemeseri

bilwit wrote:Phinney, TJVG, Dombrowski, Boswell, etc all get featured regularly on Velonews/CyclingNews/CyclingWeekly because the US makes a large part of their viewers and they think that's what we want. Ironically, everyone is so tired and annoyed about reading about them when all the useless things being featured in those don't amount to much in terms of results. Good riders, just nowhere near worth the type of coverage they get on those sites.

Exactly. That's why Lemond still makes his way into the news or Armstrong gets so much coverage whatever he does or says. Same with the good ol' days stories you can read about Andy Hampsten _every single year_.

Norregard

by Norregard

In other news: the old Ronde van Vlaanderen finale (Muur van Geraardsbergen - Bosberg - arrival in Meerbeke) is coming back. De Omloop Het Nieuwsblad is changing its course. Start will still be in Gent but the finish will be in Meerbeke.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Looks a bit like a baby Aerohead. A bit less bulbous than the Air Attack.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

yeah makes sense, Aerohead looks like it's been a smashing success

Antoine

by Antoine

bilwit wrote:Phinney, TJVG, Dombrowski, Boswell, etc all get featured regularly on Velonews/CyclingNews/CyclingWeekly ...

not to mention Matthews, Froome, Brailsford, ...
it would be more interresting to feature other riders like M.Van Der Poel (who has won almost every road races he was able to participate this year, beating Gilbert for example).

kkibbler

by kkibbler

^^The average reader sees Van Der Who? and doesn't click. That's the problem.

Rondje

by Rondje

kkibbler wrote:^^The average reader sees Van Der Who? and doesn't click. That's the problem.

Educate them, if you keep your news so narrowly focused people will always say Van Der Who? But if you slowly drop in a more international based story now and then people will grow with you. I mean, I get it that if you focus on local news (local as in America) you focus on American riders, but honestly in a time of the internet you are leaving out a lot of possible visitors by keep focussing on average riders. Specially in a relatively small sport as cycling you can get more out of your website by aiming at visitors from all the countries as the internet has no borders.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

You're not wrong, it's just that instead of covering more of the Euro scene, cycling media followed the cycling marketing machine and started covering more of women's cycling; which I absolutely support. We trade Van Der Who? for more readers having heard of Anne Van Vleuten, Mara Abbott, Neben, Garfoot, Coryn, Moolman Pasio, Missedtest. Looking at that list of names it's painfully obvious cycling media has not crossed many borders, but bridging the gender gap was still agreeable progress.

Rondje

by Rondje

Except for Van Vleuten still all English speaking native's, it's almost like they think we can't speak English in mainland Europe. But I agree that the gender gap is also an important one, for women's cycling to grow it needs to get the right coverage.

53x12

by 53x12

kkibbler wrote:You're not wrong, it's just that instead of covering more of the Euro scene, cycling media followed the cycling marketing machine and started covering more of women's cycling; which I absolutely support. We trade Van Der Who? for more readers having heard of Anne Van Vleuten, Mara Abbott, Neben, Garfoot, Coryn, Moolman Pasio, Missedtest. Looking at that list of names it's painfully obvious cycling media has not crossed many borders, but bridging the gender gap was still agreeable progress.

I for one don't care about women's pro cycling, just like I don't care about or have time for WNBA, or National Pro Fastpitch league, or NWSL. Only so much time available to follow sports. But I do care about men's international pro cycling and sure wish the USA publications would spend more time talking about young international talent rather than the same old same old articles about future USA stars.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

KWalker

by KWalker

^Couldn't agree more.

With VdP it's actually not surprising to me since the road races he did well in are not widely reported as is. I was still surprised considering that he was the only one that could give Nino a run for his money in a World Cup and that was 2 or 3 days after beating Gilbert. Next Stybar/Sagan type rider for sure.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

prebsy

by prebsy

glam2deaf wrote:Looks a bit like a baby Aerohead. A bit less bulbous than the Air Attack.

there's some synthe in there as well

bilwit

by bilwit

looks like the Specialized Evade

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Classy jersey from Astana for Aru

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com