2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

fa63

by fa63

They still have Landa, Nieve, Thomas and Henao. I imagine Froome won't miss Poels too much.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Phinney has a strong contingent of supporters in the places I've lived and raced. The typical Phinney supporter is typically someone older than him that was perhaps burned by believing in Lance and his generation and wanted to see something better or more honest come about. Oddly less popular than Gaimon.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Willier

by Willier

Nice NC win for Aru, also Cummings, Demare, Naesen are new NC

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Amazing that Cummings won both titles.

Turbo-only training plans are clearly the way forwards.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

maquisard

by maquisard

Ryan Mullen won both the Irish titles today as well.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

53x12 wrote:
Rondje wrote:Maybe they take him because he's good for marketing exposure? Cannondale are in a good flow now, but it's not the team with a top favorite, more for a stage win. I got no idea how big Phinney is in the US, but if he's big there he might bring them extra exposure during the biggest race of the season.

Phinney isn't big here in the USA imo. Maybe amongst his artistic yuppie crowd?

Thinking about it, I don't know if there really is a big USA pro that is a fan favorite. After the whole Hincapie and DaveZ doping stuff came out and they retired, I feel like they were the last two American pros that had a following and were good for marketing. Hincapie as the statesman and DaveZ as the goofball. Ever since the doping scandal, USA pro cycling is still looking for a new face. Lots of 'potentials' have come and gone. No one has taken the baton yet.

Haydn

by Haydn

Hats off Steve Cummings, what a monster

Rondje

by Rondje

Unlucky day for Cannondale, so close in both races.
In Belgium:
And in The Netherlands:

Haydn

by Haydn

flipping hell that is close

maquisard

by maquisard

maquisard wrote:Ryan Mullen won both the Irish titles today as well.

As I said above, not a bad day for Cannondale in Ireland where Ryan Mullen took both titles.

spud

by spud

interesting the dutch Cannonade guy sprinting on the hoods - if he'd been on the drops, there's a remote possibility he may have beaten the other guy on the throw.

LouisN

by LouisN

tranzformer wrote:
53x12 wrote:
Rondje wrote:Maybe they take him because he's good for marketing exposure? Cannondale are in a good flow now, but it's not the team with a top favorite, more for a stage win. I got no idea how big Phinney is in the US, but if he's big there he might bring them extra exposure during the biggest race of the season.

Phinney isn't big here in the USA imo. Maybe amongst his artistic yuppie crowd?

Thinking about it, I don't know if there really is a big USA pro that is a fan favorite. After the whole Hincapie and DaveZ doping stuff came out and they retired, I feel like they were the last two American pros that had a following and were good for marketing. Hincapie as the statesman and DaveZ as the goofball. Ever since the doping scandal, USA pro cycling is still looking for a new face. Lots of 'potentials' have come and gone. No one has taken the baton yet.

Maybe this guy in a few years. BUt his entourage is precautious:
http://www.velonews.com/2017/06/from-th ... ope_440975

Louis :)

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Personally, I'm pumped to see Phinney go to the TDF. When I was first getting interested in cycling in 2014, he was one of the guys that caught my attention early. His break away win at the ATOC was awesome and I was excited to see how this young guy's career would progress... and then the crash happened. I've been rooting for his come back and hoping to see him return to his past form but it seems that the injury has either knocked his physical ability down a notch or perhaps he's questioned/found new passions in life in his time off the bike. I'm glad to see he's going to the TDF just as a conclusion to see him accomplish one of his life goals, but I'm not optimistic that he can have any real outcome on the race.

In terms of future US stars, I think there are lots... first and foremost, Coryn Rivera on the women's side is amazing and i think she's only going to get better. I think she's been wrongly classified just as a sprinter and I think she's gonna do a lot to change those expectations. I also think that Chloe Dygert is going to be a game changer in women's cycling. It's clear to me that she has world class power, competitiveness and heart. I think that she's gonna do a lot on the track and that spotlight on her at the Olympics is gonna be huge.

On the men's side, I think we've got Neilson Powliss and Adrien Costa on Axeeon Hagens Berman that have major talent and know how to win. Yesterday at the US Pro Nationals, Powliss seemed 100% confident going with the moves and hanging with the WT pros and guys that are older and more experienced. Its one thing to have the talent to win, its something different to believe you can and believe you deserve to. Rally Cycling has Brandon McNulty and a kid named Sepp Kuss that have shown promising results.

Lots of young guys and girls to be excited about... hopefully they enjoy the competition and spotlight and thrive in it because its not for everyone.

glepore

by glepore

I think a lot of older guys root for Taylor because as dads we all pull for our sons, and he's kind of a universal cycling "son". Plus, most of us really feel for his Dad and the way that Taylor has handled that publicly, along with his own adversity. Its got nothing to do with his success or lack thereof on the bike, and judging him by that might miss the point a bit.
Last edited by glepore on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

53x12

by 53x12

glepore wrote:Its got nothing to do with his success or lack thereof on the bike, and judging him by that might miss the point a bit.

Except that is all that matters in procycling (any pro sport for that matter). You get judged, paid, sponsored, gain fame and have a successful career by success in races. All the potential, close wins, good looks, good genetics means squat if you can't put it down on the road and win races. Winning is all that matters in procycling (whether you win or you help your teammate win in some way and are useful for their/the team's success). Winning is everything.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com