2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

syplam

by syplam

isn't it abit of a stretch to have his left leg go under the bike to the right side of kittel's bike in order to get sliced by the disc?

fogman

by fogman

Although it is inconclusive as to what cut through Doull's shoe, the majority of professional riders are still against disc brakes. Seems like this disagreement between the UCI and the CPA is not going to be resolved anytime soon.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/disc-br ... c-process/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

spartan wrote:http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/news/did-disc-cut-doull-race-footage-suggests-it-didnt_431165

i think sky got EGG all over their faces..

So then what do we all figure caused that cut? Chainring would be the next best candidate. But looking at the foot in the bloody sock, in the two holes where the damaged skin almost shows through, it looks like about a two mm wide line with a little deeper hairline cutting at the edges. Pretty much what you would expect from an impact with a rotor. Maybe a spoke did the cutting.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Mandate thin carbon fiber rotor covers to save weight. That way the spinning rotor can still do damage.

mergeforthekill

by mergeforthekill

UpFromOne wrote:Mandate thin carbon fiber rotor covers to save weight. That way the spinning rotor can still do damage.

Motocross bikes have these. Not sure why they haven't tried this yet. They also make them for bikes.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

mergeforthekill wrote:
UpFromOne wrote:Mandate thin carbon fiber rotor covers to save weight. That way the spinning rotor can still do damage.

Motocross bikes have these. Not sure why they haven't tried this yet. They also make them for bikes.

A "lot" of aero drag on the covers.
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

Rondje

by Rondje

Mr.Gib wrote:
spartan wrote:http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/news/did-disc-cut-doull-race-footage-suggests-it-didnt_431165

i think sky got EGG all over their faces..

So then what do we all figure caused that cut? Chainring would be the next best candidate. But looking at the foot in the bloody sock, in the two holes where the damaged skin almost shows through, it looks like about a two mm wide line with a little deeper hairline cutting at the edges. Pretty much what you would expect from an impact with a rotor. Maybe a spoke did the cutting.

Might have been rusty barriers? It seems odd seeing the shape, but would explain the rust stain on his shoes and he is the first to crash in to the barriers.
https://twitter.com/NigelWynn/status/834816717750730752

Norregard

by Norregard

kingkongsfinger wrote:
mergeforthekill wrote:

A "lot" of aero drag on the covers.

Standardise the use of the covers so everyone has the same 'disadvantage', problem solved.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Exactly, I believe they are mandatory in motorcross too even with all protection gear that the riders are wearing.

The velonews test doesn't say a lot as long as the momentum and angle of attack are not taken into account. I'm rounding off my discs this weekend, doesn't impact their performance negatively. (it will make them a bit lighter though :D)
Ride it like you stole it

pastronef

by pastronef

@ChadHaga

@nealrogers Watched vid many x. Current theory: twas Kittel's front rotor. Doull falls on L side and turns backward just as Kittel supermans

Rondje

by Rondje

Ouch, Caleb Ewan celebrating to early and Kittel beats him on the line.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

See? Crash on discs, win on rims. The prosecution rests. :p

I imagine Caleb Ewan has been pining for a chance to come out on top against the sprinting greats for a long time and it got to his head about 5 meters too early.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

bearsdidit wrote:http://www.velonews.com/2017/02/video/video-can-disc-rotors-actually-cut_431182

the title should say: "What will a disc rotor cut on a bike mounted to service stand with the rear wheel revved up by a hand"

this is a kindergarten level attempt, laughable at best
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Fiery

by Fiery

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Norregard wrote:Standardise the use of the covers so everyone has the same 'disadvantage', problem solved.

The whole point of the exercise it to get people to buy disc bikes, so the groupset manufacturers can sell a complete new groupset. It has nothing to do with braking improvements - if this were the case, riders would lobby FOR discs. Instead you see very few riders promoting discs, and most seem to do it because it's their job.

If the brakes are made deliberately ugly, people won't buy them, simple as that.