2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:22 am
The video is on youtube if one hasn't seen it.
Just watched it. Two famous attacks, Roubaix and Flanders, both from 2010 when he was using Sram. The hand movement is the same as the normal movement to shift to the next biggest cog. I doubt a motor and that hand movement isn't suspicious.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Zitter

by Zitter

Do you think he used a motor in Brazil? He smashed at the end of his career; I have no doubt he smashed in his prime. I don't recall Boonen winning ITT world titles.

And after reviewing videos, nothing seems out of the ordinary. But, I'd be interested to see screenshots of exactly when people think he pressed the button.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vermu

by Vermu

Boonen and Fabs were almost always having peak when the other wasn't, which was a real shame.
And the second accused point on flat where Cancelara accelerated from the front while Boonen was having lunch at the back. Boonen tried to chase, but no one helped him.
On the electrical motor I would be more than skeptical. That high fizzling sound would've been on some ones ears at some point.
We're still talking about rider who smashed everyone on ITT during his prime.

p.s a bit biased because I really like Spartacus and the way he rode.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Can someone please provide links, and the exact times of the allegedly incriminating hand movements? That way we can know we're all looking at the same best evidence, not the 'wrong" videos. And if links are posted, but they are not the most incriminating ones, then the advocates for the incriminating links can post those.

themidge

by themidge

Here's a video. The first part is talking about how hidden motors work, from 3:22 is about Cancellara (with footage of Roubaix and Flanders 2010)

AJS914

by AJS914

In Flanders, it simply looks like Cancellara had better gears than Boonan. Boonan ran out of easier gears, got bogged down with a low cadence, and then had to stand. Cancellara had the gears to maintain his 90-100rpm cadence.

Was there a motor? We'll never know.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

LeDuke wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:09 am
wheelbuilder wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:01 am
CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:05 am
I've seen the Fab videos and IMO, its not as clear-cut as the previous posters are making it out to be... and I'm not a Cancellara fanboy by any stretch.

I've also ridden with people on current tech e-bikes and even in the woods, you can hear the motor, so I don't think they'd be silent enough back then for other riders not to know right away.
Agreed. Technology wasn't magically better back then. The best motors available today are instantly recognizable by the sound. I'm not convinced.
Isn't he surrounded by hundreds of cheering fans in the video in question?
Yea... even still, I think the motor would be heard. You can easily hear e-mountain bike motors while smashing around in the woods making all sorts of god awful noise. It sounds nothing like a perfectly silent road bike.

KWalker

by KWalker

Given how many ridiculous things cyclists have done over the years based on folklore or tradition as well as the gossip and lack of education in the peloton I wouldn't be surprised if this is just some unsubstantiated murmurs. I'd be less surprised if one of the one off guys or a climber used it than a guy who was known from his U23 days as being a monster powerhouse on the flats with a ton of wins where he managed to take people by surprise and they were unable to or too slow to react.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

LeDuke

by LeDuke

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vail-wi ... o-classic/

Colorado Classic starting with two days in "Vail". Avoiding the cyclist-hating hell hole that is Colorado Springs (which, ironically, is the home of USA Cycling).

Pretty sure they aren't actually starting there; they'd have to shut down I-70 to get out of town. Anyone have ideas on finishing areas? Aspen? Breck?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hellgate

by Hellgate

LeDuke wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vail-wi ... o-classic/

Colorado Classic starting with two days in "Vail". Avoiding the cyclist-hating hell hole that is Colorado Springs (which, ironically, is the home of USA Cycling).

Pretty sure they aren't actually starting there; they'd have to shut down I-70 to get out of town. Anyone have ideas on finishing areas? Aspen? Breck?

Only a circuit race and TT.

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/sports ... 19-return/

Back in the Zinger and Coors Classic days the race went right up I70 from Golden. See the movie American Flyers for footage. I actually make a mini cameo in it. Image

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Hellgate wrote:

Back in the Zinger and Coors Classic days the race went right up I70 from Golden. See the movie American Flyers for footage. I actually make a mini cameo in it. Image

I'm not super familiar with Vail proper, but I'm scratching my head here, trying to think of where they might have a circuit race. Are they going to race up and down the frontage roads, crossing under I-70 at each end?

Hellgate

by Hellgate

LeDuke wrote:
Hellgate wrote:

I'm not super familiar with Vail proper, but I'm scratching my head here, trying to think of where they might have a circuit race. Are they going to race up and down the frontage roads, crossing under I-70 at each end?

Maybe within the village? Beats me.

fuddsker

by fuddsker

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk[/quote]I'm not super familiar with Vail proper, but I'm scratching my head here, trying to think of where they might have a circuit race. Are they going to race up and down the frontage roads, crossing under I-70 at each end?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk[/quote]Maybe within the village? Beats me.

[/quote]

Coors Classic had a Vail criterium stage for at least a couple years. I was only 10 or so, but remember start/finish in the village. Think they road counterclockwise on a course that took them onto the frontage road headed west and then back down into the village. Long time ago, though, so a little fuzzy.

maquisard

by maquisard

Am I the only one that doesn't get theR Rapha Festive 500 - riding 500km over the holidays when you should be spending time with your family and loved ones because a pretentious over-priced clothing company tells you that you should...

A bit like everesting, equally stupid!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

maquisard wrote:Am I the only one that doesn't get theR Rapha Festive 500 - riding 500km over the holidays when you should be spending time with your family and loved ones because a pretentious over-priced clothing company tells you that you should...

A bit like everesting, equally stupid!
No Rapha festive 500 for me. No strava anyway.

And have a bad flu anyway now Image
Next ride hopefully in one week, hopefully.