Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:26 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6723 posts ]  Go to page Previous 179 80 81 82 83449 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:20 pm 
Resident master of GIF

Kjetil wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:
lets make more important inferences .....

ALL had white shoes + socks and at good lengths. People take notes.
Can I kiss you?

Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:20 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:40 pm 

So apart from a 40k TTT ruining an entire GC competition on day 2 of a stage race, it also created quite a controversy.
Everyone of BMC not happy with Rojas pushing a team mate twice and demanding a punishment. The punishment according to the rules would be a 1min penalty for every member of the team. But as it's a Spanish team only Rojas gets punished since he pushed twice and Valverde gets the leader jersey.
UCI and rules... you never know which rule book they gonna use.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:51 pm 

I know it's not allowed, but still it seems harsh to dock them all 1 minute.
One thing is for sure: Rojas is in good form! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:24 pm 

any predictions for Dwars? I'd bet an easy one for notorious winners Cannondale with Vanmarcke, 2nd for QS (Stybar?), and for 3rd I'd go with someone fast - Matthews or Demare

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:28 pm 

ave wrote:
I know it's not allowed, but still it seems harsh to dock them all 1 minute.
One thing is for sure: Rojas is in good form! ;)

Haha it gets even worse. Apparently I was right about my different UCI rule books. The English version states 1 min for everyone of the team, but the French version says 1 min for the rider who are involved in the push. And when the rules say that if there is a different in the rules the French rule books is leading. (why are there 2 rule books in the first place??) :shock:

tymon_tm wrote:
any predictions for Dwars? I'd bet an easy one for notorious winners Cannondale with Vanmarcke, 2nd for QS (Stybar?), and for 3rd I'd go with someone fast - Matthews or Demare

Quickstep is riding for Terpstra (can become solo record holder with 3 wins), and I guess Gaviria incase of a sprint. I think the weather will decide what kind of race it's going to be. The last few days there has been a strong wind in the Netherlands, but I don't know about Belgium.
I hope Terpstra will deliver, but he probably will be marked which makes it hard for him to make his sneaky signature move and take off solo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 pm 

MRM wrote:
Winning hearts shouldn't be an excuse for sub-par tactics.

Oh do tell how it could be done better great and wise one....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:51 pm 

Rondje wrote:
(why are there 2 rule books in the first place??) :shock:
There's one in Norwegian too. :lol:
Something may be lost in translation, or maybe there are actually different rules in different countries. I know the Norwegian CF is doing quite an amount of work now to harmonize it's rule book with the UCI (French) original.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:08 pm 

Rondje wrote:
Apparently I was right about my different UCI rule books. The English version states 1 min for everyone of the team, but the French version says 1 min for the rider who are involved in the push. And when the rules say that if there is a different in the rules the French rule books is leading.

Moral of the story: the UCI needs better copyeditors. Brian Cookson: call me! :hello:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:43 pm 

Kjetil wrote:
MRM wrote:
Go try.
Nefarious86 wrote:
MRM wrote:

Oh do tell how it could be done better great and wise one....

Gee, is that all it takes for you both to get your panties in a bunch?

Maybe showing is easier than typing an essay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RUYfFG87Ew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUFwms7f4wg

in contrast to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M38N0l0rMF0

Cancellara is a typically marked rider (like Sagan is now). Does not have the same level of sprinting ability like Sagan, but is stronger in terms of soloing away due to TT ability. See how he doesn't personally cover every move or take huge pulls at the front. See how he makes others close gaps, that he could close himself. Second video not as great an example. You understand the point I'm trying to make better by watching a larger part of the races instead of just the summary, but linking that tends to run into copyright issues, isn't in the correct language etc etc.
Also, not necessarily a Cancellara fan, but his level of race craft equals his huge engine.

Finally, I don't know why my criticism of Sagan's racing tactics get's you both all hot and bothered, but I certainly didn't intend to start something. The "you can't criticise an athlete if you can't do it better yourself" stance is particularly asinine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 am 

Cancellara is a typically marked rider (like Sagan is now). Does not have the same level of sprinting ability like Sagan, but is stronger in terms of soloing away due to TT ability. See how he doesn't personally cover every move or take huge pulls at the front. See how he makes others close gaps, that he could close himself. Second video not as great an example. You understand the point I'm trying to make better by watching a larger part of the races instead of just the summary, but linking that tends to run into copyright issues, isn't in the correct language etc etc.
Also, not necessarily a Cancellara fan, but his level of race craft equals his huge engine.

Finally, I don't know why my criticism of Sagan's racing tactics get's you both all hot and bothered, but I certainly didn't intend to start something. The "you can't criticise an athlete if you can't do it better yourself" stance is particularly asinine.[/quote]

Cancellara also took a while to learn how to win. I remember him making numerous fruitless attacks at Flanders. A year or two later he learned to really hit them hard once, late in the race, to make the difference. Not making a direct comparison to Sagan, just that super strength does not ensure the win. Have to use appropriate tactics as well, and it doesn't always work out - witness Nuyens beating Cancellara at Flanders.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:15 am 

@MRM sweetheart. That's better, explaining the background for sticking your neck out. Sword back in sheath here. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:42 am 

ah, I do hope Sagan looses every now and then like that, burning himself out - makes whole thing so god damn exciting.

it's cool and all when a star is born and starts to dominate - I love Sags and can't imagine pro peloton without him now that he's here - but the key word here I believe is "starts". after a while it gets predictable and boring. Cancellara is a natural comparison, although arguably Sagan's already more versatile and more successful rider, on a path to the absolute greatness.

it's almost like when Federer took over Sampras (for those who know tennis) - Pete's 14 grand slams was something unbelievable at the time, but then came a dude who just won everything he put his rocket to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:19 am 
in the industry

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bmc-awa ... ign=buffer

The whole team now punished. That's more fair.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:23 am 

for an average fan this is entirely incomprehensible and confusing - way to go UCI!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:53 am 

Does anyone have video of the push(es)?

Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:53 am 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6723 posts ]  Go to page Previous 179 80 81 82 83449 Next