2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Anybody else ridden both sides of the Stelvio as well? I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity and health to do that. I hope I'm free from work that day. I'd love to see that and how fast they climb it. The climb from Prato is the hardest thing I've ever done on a bike.
The Mortirolo may be steeper but it's short and protected from the wind and sun.
Colnago e Campagnolo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KH

by KH

I rode both sides of the Stelvio on a memorable day in May 2015. We rode it from Prato then did a loop over the Passo Fuorn into Switzerland. Through the tunnel on a mini bus (this part was just off the edge of our map, we had no idea there was a tunnel and turned up just in time for a shuttle bus, lucky!) and over the Passo Foscagna into Bormio. Then over the Stelvio from the Bormio side. Went over the top at around 7pm on a deserted road for a rapid descent back to the hire car! Approx 5,000m climbing in 165km.

If I was out there again I would instead ride all three sides of the Stelvio (including the Umbrail). The rest of our loop was a bit busy and not so scenic. Or maybe ride both sides of the Stelvio and both sides of the Gavia. Loved the Gavia and the Mortirolo. We did another loop of Tonale/Gavia/Mortirolo/Tonale. All such great climbs although the winner that week was declared to be the Passo Manghen! The Manghen was as stunning as some of the climbs you can do in the Norweigan fjords but I digress...

Anyway, I will be glued to Eurosport on Stelvio day!

Vagabond

by Vagabond

I forgot about the Umbrail. Three sides indeed. Although the Umbrail was heaven sent for descending. That pass is whole lot of fun to come down.
Colnago e Campagnolo

Rondje

by Rondje

Only did the Stelvio from Bormio side, descended it with car to Prato and that side indeed looked a lot harder.
The Manghen, I also loved the scenery from that climb (Telve side), harder than the Stelvio, Gavia or Mortirollo if you aks me.

I'm more then interested in seeing how this Giro will develop. I wonder (and hope they can't) if Sky can control this race like they do the TDF and seriously doubt to put Thomas in my Giro team. I think he will crack because he isn't a GC rider, but then again it's Sky who can make GC robots out of almost everyone.

micky

by micky

Thomas already tried to do GC at GTs with up and down results; usually lacking the 3rd week.
Landa looked (all of a sudden) really in shape at Trentino, I would bet my money on him as a possible GC contender for Team Sky.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-romandie-stage-2-reduced-due-to-cold-and-risk-of-snow/

is cycling getting softer or is this 'cold weather' really a danger?

I just came back home from a 3 hour ride in 5C and pouring rain. sure, I wasn't racing anybody, and didn't have any long descents, but man, this whole riding in bad weather thing for me is an integral part of cycling. the way it challenges you to the very core seems kinda poetic, and it puts that special kind of grin on my face too.

anywayz, seems like a good day to read this one again

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/latestnews/gavia-1988-andy-hampstens-epic-stage/#
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I'm generally against the cutting and shortening, but in this case I don't really see that chopping off descent from the start is going to make any difference to the stage. If the weather is just bad at the start at altitude, then the only thing it does is make it a PITA logistically for all the riders to get all their rain gear off and into the cars when they hit the valley.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

maquisard

by maquisard

Indeed, and weather is complex. It is not just the current conditions that matter but those preceeding.

For example I would happily ride in -5C in the mountains on dry roads than ride in 3C drizzle on a morning after it has been dry and -5C.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

We did both sides of the Stelvio in September last year, up from Bormio, down the Umbrail then round to Prato and over again to Bormio. Absolutely incredible day out. I'd love to go back and climb the Umbrail as well, the constant twisting through the forest would be great! My only real complaint about the whole day was the traffic, especially climbing up from Prato in the afternoon, it felt like there was a near constant stream of motorbikes, camper vans etc which really put a downer on that part of the ride for me.

Will be glued to the TV for that stage for sure.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

MattSoutherden wrote:If the weather is just bad at the start at altitude, then the only thing it does is make it a PITA

agreed, but isn't it a part of cycling? there are many things that might be considered as 'pointless' - but coping with different weather is a part of the job isn't it. descending on wet roads sure as hell isn't easy - but "easy" should not be expected in a bike race, because if it is, then what's the point. look, I'm not a sadist expecting them to freeze their butts off just because, but there seems to be a tendency to cut stages/races where riding seems 'pointless' or 'insignificant'. I still remember a stage of Tour de Pologne from like 10 years ago - they just refused to race because it was raining...

ave

by ave

I need a bit of help - I need to find some video footage of a time trial (or prologue)
It was quite a few years ago, around 2010, I'd think.

What I'm looking for is a crazy descent, where half of a not too wide road was fenced off for some reason, and it was a very fast downhill too. Motos had problems following the bravest riders.
I seem to remember it was in Switzerland and Cancellara was racing, but not sure which race, which year.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

TdF prologue won by Savoldelli? :noidea:

wingguy

by wingguy

Vagabond wrote:I forgot about the Umbrail. Three sides indeed. Although the Umbrail was heaven sent for descending. That pass is whole lot of fun to come down.

Good news! I had half an idea to do all three sides of the Stelvio including Umbrail to the top last year, but the weather wasn't anywhere near ideal when I was near there and tbh I doubt my fitness would have held up anyway! It's my main aim for later this season though 8)

Re the bad weather I think maybe they are swinging too far to the cautious side now, but at the same time the riders should be protected more than they used to be. Just because people did it back in the day doesn't mean it was a good idea. Like the story of Lemond(?) needing 6 months to get full feeling back in his fingers after the San Remo blizzard. Great story... but it was probably just shy of being permanent nerve damage. Professional athletes shouldn't have to risk their health to that degree for the sake of doing their job, IMO.

Also keep in mind that at Romandie, which has more value as a prep race than as a target for victory in it's own right the organisers need to bear in mind that if the peloton have to ride through some really horrendous conditions they might find that half the big time GC would rather leave the race than risk their health with Grand Tour season coming up. It's less damaging for them to lose half a stage than half the stars.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

So would those who question the bad weather protocol talk to Brajkovic and tell him, he's soft and should harden the fuck up?

fa63

by fa63

I would tell him to dress better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com