2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

seaneT1

by seaneT1

It's kinda funny how both the cannondale riders that got pipped to the line were on shallow rims while the winners were on 60s...they would probably be closer or even win if they were on deeper section wheels as well imho.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

And it my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle.

Not sure how much 20mm of wheel depth would help in a bike throw.

KWalker

by KWalker

When I was first getting interested in cycling in 2014,

that about sums it up
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

glepore

by glepore

53x12 wrote:
glepore wrote:Its got nothing to do with his success or lack thereof on the bike, and judging him by that might miss the point a bit.

Except that is all that matters in procycling (any pro sport for that matter). You get judged, paid, sponsored, gain fame and have a successful career by success in races. All the potential, close wins, good looks, good genetics means squat if you can't put it down on the road and win races. Winning is all that matters in procycling (whether you win or you help your teammate win in some way and are useful for their/the team's success). Winning is everything.

Don't disagree with this, but it doesn't rule out pulling for someone to overcome an obstacle and reach their potential. Isn't that part of why so many pulled for LA before it became obvious?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

53x12

by 53x12

People pulled for LA because he was still better than the rest of his rivals that were also doped to the gills at the time. Plus he was very successful and actually was winning. But he also had his detractors at the same time.

I can't count the number of times a USA pro has been named as the future face of USA cycling. From van Garderen, to Phinney, to Dombrowski, to Talansky, to Ben King. All were suppose to be the up and coming USA pro that would be successful in Europe. But all have been underwhelming imo. I don't see any of the newer guys doing much better at this point. Hope I'm wrong.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

IchDien

by IchDien

seaneT1 wrote:It's kinda funny how both the cannondale riders that got pipped to the line were on shallow rims while the winners were on 60s...they would probably be closer or even win if they were on deeper section wheels as well imho.

Think I pointed this out a while ago on a Katyusha rider's bike, but seems a lot of mavic sponsored pros run the CCU's on the rear for stiffness and power transfer and C40T on the front for the updated aero.

Alex Howes:

petepeterson

by petepeterson

53x12 wrote: I can't count the number of times a USA pro has been named as the future face of USA cycling. From van Garderen, to Phinney, to Dombrowski, to Talansky, to Ben King. All were suppose to be the up and coming USA pro that would be successful in Europe. But all have been underwhelming imo. I don't see any of the newer guys doing much better at this point. Hope I'm wrong.

US cycling media loves doing this even though exceptional athletes are once in a generation.

AJS914

by AJS914

I would hate to be in the position these guys are in. I mean, if you aren't the next Lemond or undoped Armstrong then you suck and are a disappointment. 80% of pros out there wish they could achieve as much as a TJ or Talansky.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

KWalker wrote:

that about sums it up

Oh snap! [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

53x12

by 53x12

AJS914 wrote:I would hate to be in the position these guys are in. I mean, if you aren't the next Lemond or undoped Armstrong then you suck and are a disappointment. 80% of pros out there wish they could achieve as much as a TJ or Talansky.

I wouldn't. To get paid well for what they are good at and enjoy doing? Paid to ride your bike, get to ride the latest and greatest gear, and get to train and race in some beautiful parts of the world and race on closed roads? Sounds like a nice position to be in. They decided to be pros themselves. As a result they get judged on their success in said sport. Just like any other athlete and just like you and me in our jobs.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

KWalker

by KWalker

AJS914 wrote:I would hate to be in the position these guys are in. I mean, if you aren't the next Lemond or undoped Armstrong then you suck and are a disappointment. 80% of pros out there wish they could achieve as much as a TJ or Talansky.

So basically how every pretty good French cyclist feels? I mean shit, Axel Merckx definitely had things running against him worse than any of these kids in this regard
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

KWalker wrote:

that about sums it up

Yea, because if someone hasn't been into cycling as long as Karsten, their opinion is irrelevant... go mountain climbing dude.

To clarify my point... as someone who found cycling in the post Lance era, I didn't want to root for anyone. I basically looked at professional cycling from the standpoint of, "they're all dopers, who cares." As I watched more and more races though, I naturally started to root for people. Taylor, in 2014 was one of those first people and then he had his crash. For sure, he hasn't lived up the hype, but I think his crash also effected his ability to perform at the levels he previously could, so its kind of a shame that he never really got to see what he could do and I don't really think that he ever will. I'd still like to see it, but I honestly don't think he'll get any better at this point.

KWalker

by KWalker

Mountain climbing? Really not following you here. Do you mean rock climbing? I mean, if you're gunna try and insult someone at least use the correct nomenclature haha.

And no, I meant no insult by that statement actually, but if you came into cycling that year or the year before you came into the sport at peak hype for Phinney. There have been many great hopes like him, EBH comes to mind just before him. Young hopes are cyclical every few years and he had really hit his peak around then. So please, go off on a tangent and assume the worst. Just as if you came into the sport in 2001 at peak Lance hype you might be a fan as well.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

maquisard

by maquisard

KWalker wrote:So please, go off on a tangent and assume the worst.

Is that not usually your remit? :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

KWalker wrote:And no, I meant no insult by that statement actually, but if you came into cycling that year or the year before you came into the sport at peak hype for Phinney.

Was it really "hype" though? By 2014, he had won numerous Would championships at the junior, U23 and elite level on the track. he won the U23 Paris-Roubaix race 2 times. He won the 2012 Giro ITT to take the pink jersey, @nd in the 2012 ITT WC behind Tony Martin. To me, hype is when someone is expected to do something but really hasn't doe it yet. He was, IMO, already into a successful career, which was derailed by a tragic accident.