Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:09 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6247 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1401 402 403 404 405417 Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:00 pm 

Marin wrote:
wingguy wrote:
Makes me wonder what they'd have done at the Vuelta this year if they'd been riding that bike. Ride a team issue 2x version? Run a small chainring and struggle on the downhills? Use a totally different bike?

They will ride a 9-32 cassette, possibly even 12 speed.

That's the thing though. A 44x9 is almost identical to a 53x11, but the speed you get with a 36x32 at 90rpm needs a cadence of 75rpm on a 44x32. Granted the Machucos and Angliru are very rare events in pro cycling, but that's a heck of a difference in usability.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:47 pm 

KWalker wrote:
EBH will never win worlds, the Olympics, or any sort of Monument.

Sagan is the obvious choice, then GVA, then Matthews. I'd like for GVA to win just because he always goes for it and it would sort of complete his major win haul.

I know. I'm an optimist.

Sagan is just so god damn strong. The climbs on this course aren't long/steep enough to distance him. If he does get distanced, it's going to be because he's still sick or recovering from his illness, or because other teams are targeting him and making him and his team chase.

You're also right about GVA. He seems to be in the hunt at most big races, plays his cards right a good portion of the time, and positions himself better than most.

Matthews might be more dependent on team support than those two.

Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:47 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:06 pm 

LeDuke wrote:
Who do people have for the women's and men's RR?

My money is on Coryn Rivera and EBH. If Rivera gets over the last climb within spitting distance of the leaders, well, good luck to them.

Matthews or Gilbert and VD Breggen. After seeing the u23 it's hard to predict the race. Will a small group keep up? In that case I guess on Gilbert and VD Breggen at the women's. But if it stays together for a sprint I'd say Matthews and Vos. With by far the strongest team I expect the Dutch to make the race hard enough for Rivera to get dropped (like Halverdson today) If she doesn't get dropped I can't see anyone beating her.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:42 pm 

LeDuke wrote:

My money is on Coryn Rivera and EBH. If Rivera gets over the last climb within spitting distance of the leaders, well, good luck to them.

I think EBH has the power to win, but he always seems to miss out on that big win. I don't know how he does it but he almost always either goes with all except the winning move or gets gassed on the climbs and loses the sprint. :noidea: Would be awesome to see him win in front of a home crowd though.
wingguy wrote:
and no reason to suppose that any of them even like me.

+1 :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:22 pm 

Rooting for Kwiato actually. If he got some rest after the Tour then he should be on point. And of the guys that are more of roleurs, he can climb the best and might stand a chance of attacking and staying away before it comes to a sprint

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:43 pm 

The problem with the last k's is, that there's the small climb 10k's out, and then a 10k straight to the finish line. It's a bit similar to Flanders. It's probably gonna be a small group of 5-10 riders over the last climb, and then a sprint at the end. So the small final selection of riders will be riders, that can power up those climbs and work together towards the finish. Problem is, no one want to work with Sagz, and he wont be able to get there alone at the front. But it'll probably be Sagz, Kwiato, GvA, Mathews and a couple others at the end. My money is on Kwiato as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:10 am 

Kwiato should be there or thereabouts, he's so f&$ken strong this season.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:34 am 

tymon_tm wrote:
petepeterson wrote:
I'm not there yet for 1x and discs for racing. Looks gross. I must be getting old.

same here. and how on earth will they get their cadence right? I can hardly cope without a 16t cog in a 11-28 cassette, can't imagine riding with just 11 gears.. and I don't race for living.

IMHO it's just a clumsy marketing stunt. it's like claiming your life would be more comfy if you replaced your sofa with a kitchen chair
Never understood how people can be so sensitive to 5rpm...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:17 am 

Nefarious86 wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:
petepeterson wrote:
I'm not there yet for 1x and discs for racing. Looks gross. I must be getting old.

same here. and how on earth will they get their cadence right? I can hardly cope without a 16t cog in a 11-28 cassette, can't imagine riding with just 11 gears.. and I don't race for living.

IMHO it's just a clumsy marketing stunt. it's like claiming your life would be more comfy if you replaced your sofa with a kitchen chair

the struggle is real

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:11 am 

5rpm is massive dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:38 am 
Administrator

Sent a PM to Wingguy and Bilwit asking them to give the forum some rest.

Personally I find myself less and less attracted to this thread as there is bickering going on in it. Also, I'm going to clean it up a little.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:12 am 

Rondje wrote:
LeDuke wrote:

Matthews or Gilbert and VD Breggen. After seeing the u23 it's hard to predict the race. Will a small group keep up? In that case I guess on Gilbert and VD Breggen at the women's. But if it stays together for a sprint I'd say Matthews and Vos. With by far the strongest team I expect the Dutch to make the race hard enough for Rivera to get dropped (like Halverdson today) If she doesn't get dropped I can't see anyone beating her.

If in the U23 event it was basically a group of 30 men (the first 2 were pro and one even rode Vuelta...), I would expect tomorrow pro event to have even more people for a smallish bunch sprint.
From the last kick to the finish is way too long for a solo move.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:13 am 

U19 men is on now. As nervous as the first day of the TDF. Crashes everywhere but it's normal for the juniores.

Hoole will win by the way. Or Pidcock but he already has his fair share of medals ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:30 pm 

Wookski wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:
petepeterson wrote:

the struggle is real

a bit more than 5 rpm, and yes it's as real as it gets. BTW, I know dudes who claim they feel a 2mm difference in any dimension regarding their bike fit, so there's that :wink:

again, why would anyone sacrifice a perfectly working equipment (it's not 1999 anymore, FDs do work flawlessly) for - what - some minor weight gain? bikes are already crazy light. simplicity? like FDs broke all the time and chains got tossed between chainrings. ease of usage? how hard is it to master changing gears :lol: come on, it stinks with marketing and you know it. as far as there might be special circumstances where 1x11 works just fine, I just can't see it working on a daily basis. and you don't need Angliru to figure that one out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:21 pm 

I have two bikes with 1X (mtb and gravel) and I don't get it. I wish they both had 2x11. They came with 1X but it's pretty expensive to upgrade them so I just stick with the 1X.

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:21 pm 

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6247 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1401 402 403 404 405417 Next