2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jorryt

by jorryt

I also believe Wiggins him self called Dumoulin a future champion.

bilwit

by bilwit

erty65 wrote:Dumoulin is 26, Roglic is 27 and Martin/Froome are 32. Three years ago, Dumoulin did pretty well.

wingguy wrote:
bilwit wrote:Kind of weird now that Wiggins & Cancellara are gone and Martin's powers seemingly on the decline. Dumoulin, Roglic, Froome.. None of these guys stood a chance even three years ago.

Three years ago Roglic was in his second year as a Pro riding for a Continental team and Tom Dumoulin won bronze at the Worlds and beat Cancellara at the Eneco Tour ITT. Five years ago Chris Froome won bronze at the Olympic ITT.

I guess I was more making a generational comparison, it's still early for Dumoulin and Roglic but it's hard to imagine them being ITT All Timers like Wiggins/Cancellara (prime vs. prime). About Froome... so what? Yes he has a very strong TT in comparison to the current field (especially for a GC guy) but head to head he has never come close to Wiggins except the one time at the Vuelta.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rob81

by Rob81

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/229605 ... -aqua-blue

1x (etap soon too?) and discs in pro peloton.

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

Not sure about single ring for ProTour-level road.

Here's another story on Aqua Blue's new bike.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aqua-blue-sport-to-compete-on-3t-strada-disc-bike-with-1x-drivetrain-in-2018/

Rondje

by Rondje

bilwit wrote:
erty65 wrote:Dumoulin is 26, Roglic is 27 and Martin/Froome are 32. Three years ago, Dumoulin did pretty well.

wingguy wrote:
bilwit wrote:Kind of weird now that Wiggins & Cancellara are gone and Martin's powers seemingly on the decline. Dumoulin, Roglic, Froome.. None of these guys stood a chance even three years ago.

Three years ago Roglic was in his second year as a Pro riding for a Continental team and Tom Dumoulin won bronze at the Worlds and beat Cancellara at the Eneco Tour ITT. Five years ago Chris Froome won bronze at the Olympic ITT.

I guess I was more making a generational comparison, it's still early for Dumoulin and Roglic but it's hard to imagine them being ITT All Timers like Wiggins/Cancellara (prime vs. prime). About Froome... so what? Yes he has a very strong TT in comparison to the current field (especially for a GC guy) but head to head he has never come close to Wiggins except the one time at the Vuelta.

Is Wiggins really a ITT all timer with only 1 WC win and an Olympic gold? He was a great TT'er but I put Cancellara or Tony Martin above him.

bilwit

by bilwit

Rondje wrote:Is Wiggins really a ITT all timer with only 1 WC win and an Olympic gold? He was a great TT'er but I put Cancellara or Tony Martin above him.

In terms of ITT accomplishments they're for sure above him but historically I think with 1 rainbow jersey+1 olympic gold combined with total amount of career ITT victories and course records Wiggins is somewhere up there too
Last edited by bilwit on Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Maybe sram will finally drop 10-28 10-32 XD road cassettes
Using Tapatalk

KanonDalen

by KanonDalen

GonaSovereign wrote:Not sure about single ring for ProTour-level road.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/aqua-blue-sport-to-compete-on-3t-strada-disc-bike-with-1x-drivetrain-in-2018/

Martin Toft Madsen, #21 at the TT, used 1x setup with 11-36 cassette and 56 front chainring. Mikkel Bjerg, winner of the Juniors TT, used the same setup.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Kjetil wrote:Cookson was a good step up from Hein and his lap dog Pat. Good luck to Lappardient.

+1. Cookson may have turned a blind eye to doping & other issues, but at least he wasn't an active participant like Heiny & Paddy.

maquisard

by maquisard

I had a cool idea today, if a breakaway of less than five riders in a GT gets an advantage of more than 5 mins then they are allowed to switch to TT bikes for the rest of the stage so they can stay away!

I should really be UCI president, actually :thumbup:

I'm going out drinking with a staff member from Aqua Blue tomorrow evening so I will ask what the real story is with the 3T Strada.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

KanonDalen wrote:
GonaSovereign wrote:Not sure about single ring for ProTour-level road.

Martin Toft Madsen, #21 at the TT, used 1x setup with 11-36 cassette and 56 front chainring. Mikkel Bjerg, winner of the Juniors TT, used the same setup.

That's because they didn't have the hill climb, like the senior men.

I actually think all of the competitors should have had the climb in the course, and if needs be shorten the first part of the course to accommodate the climb

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I'm not there yet for 1x and discs for racing. Looks gross. I must be getting old.

Vermu

by Vermu

This years TT route was so unorthodox that I wouldn't make really big comparisons to earlier results and who's what.
Although this year in my opinion favoured Dumolin and Froome. Those lighter TT-riders who can actually climb.

Comparing Wiggings and Froome, always seemed like Froome was more into climbing and as GC contender he would climb really well and TT well, not exceptionally, but well.
Froome on his prime vs Contador on his prime would've been so exciting to see, as I would put them in the same ballpark with their strenghts.
Riding style being totally different.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

petepeterson wrote:I'm not there yet for 1x and discs for racing. Looks gross. I must be getting old.

same here. and how on earth will they get their cadence right? I can hardly cope without a 16t cog in a 11-28 cassette, can't imagine riding with just 11 gears.. and I don't race for living.

IMHO it's just a clumsy marketing stunt. it's like claiming your life would be more comfy if you replaced your sofa with a kitchen chair
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

jorryt

by jorryt

Vermu wrote:This years TT route was so unorthodox that I wouldn't make really big comparisons to earlier results and who's what.
Although this year in my opinion favoured Dumolin and Froome. Those lighter TT-riders who can actually climb.

Comparing Wiggings and Froome, always seemed like Froome was more into climbing and as GC contender he would climb really well and TT well, not exceptionally, but well.
Froome on his prime vs Contador on his prime would've been so exciting to see, as I would put them in the same ballpark with their strenghts.
Riding style being totally different.

I think Dumoulin would be the best on flats as well if he didn't focus on the GC.

Dennis is in my opinion the best on flat TT but if the distance goes above 35 Dumoulin beats him.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com