2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
KWalker wrote:Not surprised that their one winner is Rolland. With him it's that he was showing signs of greatness and stagnated rather than being the youngsters that haven't followed through on potential. Good win. Bout damn time! I've been harsh on them, but it's not that I don't want them to win, quite the opposite.

Did you hear the interview that JV did with Velonews at TOC? The interview was a follow up to an article that was posted in the WSJ. The basic breakdown of the interview was that the team is always looking for money and new sponsorship ideas and he was lamenting the fact that the team has to compete against teams like Sky that have triple the budget that they do. He made the connection some of those teams that have better budgets and sponsors are in that situation because they choose to target more wins from smaller races that maybe aren't as grand but as easier to get wins at, while he chooses to try to disrupt larger races with riders that might be thought of as underdogs because it makes a better story. I thought it was funny that he was wishing he had the money but failed to see that his approach is flawed and isn't attracting the money/sponsors he wants. IMO, he didn't come off very good in the interview and if I was in charge of a company looking to invest in pro-cycling, it wouldn't be with him.

I agree with you- the articles are full of JV's typical bullshit and spin. They ended up with more WT points than Di Data, yet no one really cares since their wins were not in major events nor were they memorable. Who remembers anything Bettiol or Talansky did last year? Everyone remembers what Cummings and Cav did. And they aren't stuck with a director that makes grandiose claims and takes riders with potential and stagnates em. Luckily for him they have a pretty loyal fanbase for whatever reason and their fans are active on social media as are their riders.

I'm glad that Rolland got a win and hopes they post up some good results this Summer and get better. I don't want American cycling to be this stagnant.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

maquisard wrote:
There was a story I heard from the Giro some years back, I think it was either Brad McGee or Baden Cooke disappearing into the bushes with stomach trouble. They apparently had to use their gloves to wipe and left them at the road side for a fan to find!

I have been to quite a few Ironman races & saw many a runner with s#!t running down their legs :shock:

I forget which top contender Mark Allen? Years ago who jumped over a stone wall & took a quick one near the finish one year

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

blaugrana wrote:It would be funny if the 390€ suit the sponsor makes was not good enough for pro racing.

Happens all the time. I know of a WT team who are not using their sponsors skinsuits. They have a contender for the TdF, so the time saved matters a lot.

And Telegraph Podcast saying that there are teams like Sky and Astana sniffing around at Davide Formolo.

Sacke

by Sacke

Tinea Pedis wrote:
blaugrana wrote:It would be funny if the 390€ suit the sponsor makes was not good enough for pro racing.

Happens all the time. I know of a WT team who are not using their sponsors skinsuits. They have a contender for the TdF, so the time saved matters a lot.

And Telegraph Podcast saying that there are teams like Sky and Astana sniffing around at Davide Formolo.

Maybe Vaughters ought to sneak in a "premio di valorizzazione" into his contract, like Savio did with Egan Bernal. Would take some financial pressure off in case of a transfer.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Tinea Pedis wrote:

There will be a free spot, as Landa does not renew. Probably to UAE.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Dr.Dos wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:

There will be a free spot, as Landa does not renew. Probably to UAE.

I think Landu's going to Bahrein-Merida after he gave Nibali that stage win... hahahaha

micky

by micky

Frolle wrote:Nibali still on his preferred Fizik Antares (unbranded) in spite of Bahrain Merida saddle sponsor Prologo...

Nibali with a Merida Scultura with the rear brake on the seat stays.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

old model 4000?

KB

by KB

flying wrote:
maquisard wrote:There was a story I heard from the Giro some years back, I think it was either Brad McGee or Baden Cooke disappearing into the bushes with stomach trouble. They apparently had to use their gloves to wipe and left them at the road side for a fan to find!

I have been to quite a few Ironman races & saw many a runner with s#!t running down their legs :shock: ...

Back in the 60's Vin Denson who was a domestique for Tom Simpson when it was national teams recalled a time when Simpson shit himself but just carried on riding. He said the smell was appalling because he was riding behind him.

AJS914

by AJS914

Halfway up the last climb and it looks like Dumoulin is holding on to his jersey:

http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/giro-d ... live.shtml

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

KB wrote:Back in the 60's Vin Denson who was a domestique for Tom Simpson when it was national teams recalled a time when Simpson shit himself but just carried on riding. He said the smell was appalling because he was riding behind him.

TD should've done "a Boonen" then immediately gone to the front!

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

nathanong87 wrote:your wish is my command
:D

fa63

by fa63

Just witnessed a small miracle :)

kkibbler

by kkibbler

For all the shit he gets online and offline that's a really good ride by TJ. Kudos.

Rondje

by Rondje

Yesterday Cannondale, today TJvG, crazy world!
And Landa loses the same way as Stelvio stage, inside corner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com