2017 'PRO' cycling discussion.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Rondje wrote:Naesen is GvA's training partner, it was just a solid lead out ;)

Anyone know what happens at Volta Catalunya that Froome missed the first group?

Yeah they have some interesting names for their training groups round there...

Gilbert with an interesting tweet after E3
https://twitter.com/philippegilbert/sta ... 6928332802

Vermu

by Vermu

Clean or not but for long Valverdes aim has been on spring and vuelta. And he's been really good for ages

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

here we go again...

at least there's a race tomorrow with Sagan in it, so despite all the drama and time change, saul goodman :wink:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

Rondje

by Rondje

ultyguy wrote:Gilbert with an interesting tweet after E3
https://twitter.com/philippegilbert/sta ... 6928332802

It's nice to see him back in the spring classics, so much drive. This also prove's BMC's failing at rider management. At BMC he couldn't do these races because GvA was riding them, at Quickstep he rides with 4 other potential winners and they all play well together and are prepared to work for each other.

wingguy

by wingguy

Apparently there's something in the air in Spain that makes Sky incapable of following basic cycling tactics... :lol:

maquisard

by maquisard

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bradley ... ew-people/

Good to finally hear Wiggins calling out marginal gains for the absolute nonsense that they are!

Fantastic to see him rubbish Steve Peters bullshit as well. I hope he will tell all soon.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Rondje- definitely! He's very hungry. I'd love to see a Sagan/Gilbert/GvA battle for RVV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martinko

by martinko

GvA doesn't battle, he just sucks wheels of riders who battle. :D

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

me and buddy had chat about GVA vs Gilbert , just as riders style.

i tend to think that GVA had(has) the punch on the steeper stuff? but imho GVA has really stepped it up and maybe could (can) ride cobbled classics better

i swear this week , i can't recall gilbert riding the classics and he's been IN IT.

both riders i like watching and i had thought GVA would be good successor to gilbert for the ardennes stuff, but lately i dunno if i could see GVA winning an ardennes ....before he wins a flanders / roubaix

also aesthetics is everything

jeffy

by jeffy

looks at those nasty cuts to his knee! not surprised with those spinning samurai swords!

Rondje

by Rondje

I can't recall GvA ever having good results on the Ardenne classics. Not Like Gilbert did at least. Maybe the AGR is his chance in the Ardennes with the new final, but I don't see him out sprint Matthews.
In a post race interview on the Belgium television he also said he and Gilbert are the same sort of riders. That's why they couldn't ride together because they always wanted to attack on the same time. But he said it was great to race against him for the same reason and because Gilbert always wants to ride.

If it's up to personal taste I like Gilbert more as a rider then GvA. Not questioning his qualities because he's been riding great the last 2/3 years, but I can't really recall a time where GvA actually set up an attack. He rides with his head, following other's when he feels its a good attack. Thats all cool and a big part of racing, but the more active riders are more fun to watch.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

u bring up goood points, gva explosiveness isn't gilbert like, but would stage 5 of tdf 2016 count as attacking and solo from distance 18km?

Rondje

by Rondje

Did he made the initial first move there, or was it De Gendt? (can't find a video) Quality wise that stage is a bit in the same category as his Olympic Gold I think. It shown he can be real good in mid climb races, just as he should have won San Sebastian if it wasn't for the moto 2 years ago. Maybe he did attack solo there?. It's like I said, I got respect for him and don't doubt his qualities, I'd just want him to attack a bit more instead of react on other attacks.

To get back on his punch qualities:
I never understood why cobble classic riders can't win the AGR. Course wise it's not so much difference. A lot of turning, small roads and short climbs, but on better road surface. A tour of Flanders is a lot harder then AGR in my opinion (only experience with the AGR course). I'd think if you can force a break on the Paterberg or Oude Kwarement you should also be able to go fast on the Eyserbosweg or Cauberg. Only thing I can think of is that the real climbers don't dare to hit the cobbles so the climbing isn't as fast as it looks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Boonen discovered the aero-wonders of 38cm handlebars.

#bitlate